#16 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 08:33 AM

I understand everything he did here, but my question is how in the heck did he turn the hobby saw blade with his drill?

Did he have a flexible extension that was really long?  Also, the hobby saw blade would have to be a smaller diameter than the pipe, when the hone expanded how did he get the blade to engage the pipe?

I'm just curious, I'd love to see this setup.  Seems almost like something he could patent and sell!  I did a quick google search and its amazing how many other people have the exact same problem.

from what he said he used small diameter PVC pipe and epoxied the hone to one end of it and a bit for the drill to the other.Tennis balls kept it from wobbling ..also he somehow replaced all 3 stones on the hone with the little blades somehow.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#17 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 08:35 AM

I would think as was said above that cable could be used in this same way(in place of PVC pipe)

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#18 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 11:05 AM

How about taking a 3/8 thick piece of steel. Drill a hole that is off set so that when it is spun it will swing out against the wall of the pipe. Fasten a small fine tooth saw blade to it that will touch the pipe first. Fasten this to the end of your cable with something to center you're cable just behind it and at points up the cable. Spin the cable the blade will swing out and cut the pipe. Just an idea.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#19 broken arrow OFFLINE  

broken arrow
  • Member No: 71972
  • 39 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:56 AM

Before you think I'm nuts:

A small cutter like David pictured attached to the end of a cable could be lowered inside the existing poly pipe to the 175' depth. 

A drill attached to the top end of the cable could rotate the cutter inside the pipe to weaken, or hopefully, sever the pipe.

A weight slid on the cable above the cutter, should keep tension on the cable, and keep the cutter at a constant depth.  .....A collar (larger than the diameter of the poly pipe) can be clamped at the top of the poly pipe to limit the depth of the cutter, and keep the cable from dropping into the abyss.

Ideally, a rod would be more stable than a cable, but trying to get 175' of rod could be a problem (cost & availability).

If this idea sounds feasible to you, I can give you (FREE) 200' of stainless wire rope approx. 1/8"-3/16" diameter.  ....I could probably help with an arbor to mount a cutter, and a collar for the top of the cable.

The s/s cable can later be used as a safety cable to suspend a new pump.

I'm approx. 2-1/2 hours from Lancaster (town), but I could possibly meet you somewhere in between.

Bruce,

Thanks for the offer, very generous of you.

I'll not ask you drive anywhere yet.

I'm soaking up all the ideas I can get before I try anything.

Thanks,

Dave

#20 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:41 AM

Can you force 1" plastic through the collapsed area? It will provide plenty of volume and pressure, if you can. Simply go a few feet past the collapse or all the way to the pump.

#21 broken arrow OFFLINE  

broken arrow
  • 39 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Can you force 1" plastic through the collapsed area? It will provide plenty of volume and pressure, if you can. Simply go a few feet past the collapse or all the way to the pump.

The problem is that the pump is failing.

It was when we tried to pull it for replacement that we found the collapse above the pump.

• toppop52 said thank you

#22 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:49 AM

The problem is that the pump is failing.

It was when we tried to pull it for replacement that we found the collapse above the pump.

Not to argue, but are you sure the pump is failing or has the collapse caused the pumping issue? I saw that once here in 250' well, once he ran the smaller pipe in it cleared up and is still working fine 3 years later.

#23 broken arrow OFFLINE  

broken arrow
  • 39 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 10:16 AM

Not to argue, but are you sure the pump is failing or has the collapse caused the pumping issue? I saw that once here in 250' well, once he ran the smaller pipe in it cleared up and is still working fine 3 years later.

Yes, sadly I'm sure.

The check valve on the pump failed 2 years ago.

We couldn't pull the pump so we put a check valve at the top of the well.

That check valve is working properly and holding pressure.

Now, the pump cannot build over 30 lbs. pressure.

So, the pump is slowly chewing itself up.

#24 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 10:49 AM

Could you use a flycutter like the smallest here: 

http://www.ebay.com/...Q8AAOSwZ1lWcPjb

Modify it to be spring loaded even if it's just a piece of spring steel. Make some kind of latch that could be released after it's in the pipe where you want it. You would also have to add a piece that would let the bit slide and keep it from falling out.

Another idea would be to use an internal pipe easy-out that operates on an eccentric. If you could lock it tight in the pipe at the depth you wanted, you could pull the pipe and be more sure of the pipe breaking where you want it.