20 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 06:29 AM

Hey guys I am about to trade a tractor for a welder and want to get an angle grinder. I won't be using it extensively so I really don't want to pay much but I don't want a piece of junk either. Thanks!

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 07:19 AM

I had bought my Hitachi 4 1/2" grinder at Lowes I think and I didn't pay much for it and I have abused that thing. I have had it for over 5 years now. I would definitely buy another if this one ever dies.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 07:39 AM

I have a HF special that does pretty good. I also picked up a fairly new Bosch at a pawn shop cheap. Now I don't have to change from grinder to cut off.

#4 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 08:18 AM

I would give the harbor freight grinder a shot.
Have 2 of them so I don't have to change discs so much.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 09:22 AM

I have a couple HF 4 1/2 grinders that I've used a ton for years. BUT, the switches are aggravating. My favorite type is paddle or trigger, so I bought a Porter Cable similar to this one and LOVE it!
Posted Image

Edited by olcowhand, May 17, 2011 - 08:57 AM.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 09:54 AM

We used to buy new grinders from our local welding shop, I still have 2 Makita's 7' and a 5" that I bought 10+ years ago. I have replaced brushes and switches in both of them, more than once. The last few years I have been picking up used grinders out of pawn shop, I try to stay with Makita, or De-Walt. I did buy a new grinder last year, it is a Metabo 4 1/2", and the guys at the welding shop say it should last like the Makita's, only time will tell. The only thing I don't like about the Metabo is the trigger, you have to slide a safety lock forward to make the switch work, and it doesn't have a trigger lock, you get tired of holding the trigger after a couple of hours grinding on a big job.

#7 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 11:46 AM

I do alot of heavy fab work, I used to always have a bosch angle grinder. One day the bosch gave up in a fit of smoke. So in a pinch I ran to HF bought a 20 dollar cheapo and now 6 years later that is still my go to grinder. I do have another Bosch now but always find myself reaching for the cheapo. Probably because if it breaks I am only out 20 bucks. That is my .02 cents worth.

Should also be noted I only use the HF with a cutoff wheel or a flap wheel. I use a old Black and Decker 7 inch with a solid grinding wheel for the heavy grinding duties.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 13, 2011 - 11:22 PM

I also have two 4 1/2" grinders. One for cut-off and one for grinding. One is a DeWalt, the other is a Black & Decker industrial (which eventually became DeWalt's line...Basically the same unit) I've had the B&D for about 8 years and have no complaints. I've had the DeWalt for about 3 years and like it very much as well. We also use the DeWalt grinders at work and they seem to hold up well under the abuse that we deliver in an industrial environment.

#9 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 12:16 AM

If your looking for electric, I can't help you. I only use the big ones at work that don't fall into the affordable catagory.
If air is what you'd like my top cheap grinder is the nuline brand from msc. there is a gearless model that just won't stop, and runs very smooth.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 04:22 AM

I like Makita , I have been using one of my Makita grinders for about 30 years,and all I have had to do to it is replace the brushes a few times.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 06:57 AM

I have one of the HF units. They work OK for the abuse I give them. I don't use it often but when I do, it's usually harsh. The last one lasted 4 hrs before expiring. Replacement was on sale for 18 and it came with a 5 pack of 4" discs.

I have used better units, and they are Better... Get what you pay for. I have access to a post WWII unit that is a BEAST. I don't use it a lot because it tends to get away from me. It's a little unwieldy, kid a like Dads old 3/4" drill with the pipe screwed into it for handles. That SOB tool has tried to kill me more times and in new and inventive ways every time too.

Back on topic (ADD) the HF is ok if you're doing the lite stuff or occasional bigger stuff, if you plan on getting into grinding a lot, take the suggestions on the name brands above. Probably can't go wrong with any of them.

#12 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 125 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 08:39 AM

Have an HF one now for several years and never a problem. But I don't use it every day. This site has deals on stuff if you don't mind reconditioned.

www.reconditionedsales.com

jhn9840
John

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 05:39 AM

On the cutoff discs, I use the DeWalt brand. They seem to last longer. Those from HF throw a lot of the grit off and don't last very long.

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 05:56 AM

Can't help you with what brand but I wish mine had a paddle switch or something better then a slide switch . When I using welding gloves on it's pretty hard to turn on . Al

#15 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 08:05 PM

I've always used and burnt out the cheaper grinders. My boys finally chipped in and bought me a Dewalt, since I was to cheap to do it myself. That has been the best gift they have ever given me. I've had that thing working hard for hours and it keeps on going strong. Grinding and cut-off wheel quality does make a difference. The latest example is that I bought a HF 14" 2 HP cut-off saw. The saw wouldn't cut it's way out of a paper bag until I put a good 14" abrasive wheel on it. Now, I think it cut's great and is one of the best HF tools I have. I have new respect for quality cut-off and grinding wheels.