Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Question for the lefty's

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,649 Thanks
  • 8,525 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:32 AM

This has been quite an interesting thread for me.  Thanks for all the responses I really do appreciate the insight.  I know for me when I started to work on aircraft and jet engines I had to learn to work with my left because there were times that all you could do is get your left hand where you could get that bolt or nut on.  At first is was foreign but like several of you have said after a while it became natural and I never really had a problem knowing which way to turn the nut or bolt.  

I hope I can take this information and maybe understand better where Mike is coming from.  I'm not sure how many bolts he has stripped or broken going the wrong way.  But he want to work and enjoy mechanic's and he is currently in an apprenticeship program to work as a machinist.  At least then he can fix what he breaks.  :D   He is working for a company that repairs and rebuilds power plant turbines and when he took the job I really worried about how it would go but apparently he is doing well enough that they don't want to loose him.  His job requires him to go out of town quite a bit to the job site so when his wife passed he felt it would not be right to constantly leave his son with others.  So he started looking around for a job that would let him stay at home.  He went to his boss and told him how he felt and what he was planning on doing.  They modified his work schedule so now he only goes out of town on short job and close in jobs.  Thanks again.

• Gtractor, Alc and EricR have said thanks

#32 Austin OFFLINE  

• Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 437 Thanks
  • 334 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:48 AM

I was 100% left handed until third grade.  In third grade I drew a teacher that,  uh,    well I'll just put a picture of her up so you can see what I'm talking about.

attachicon.gif3rd grade.jpg

I wasn't allowed to do anything left handed. Being left handed was a sin!  Maybe that is what started my lifetime habit of being sneaky. 

I'd have to sit on the same side of the table as the teacher when we went to eat lunch in the cafeteria.  If she saw me with a fork in my left hand all hell broke loose.   You'd think I'd shot Santa Clause!

Since then I do some things right handed and some left handed - but I ALWAYS eat right handed.

That's insane. I'm glad we stopped doing that to kids. 

• Gtractor and HDWildBill have said thanks

#33 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 3,211 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:55 AM

Some interesting stuff! I'm right handed but could switch hit in baseball, and I can write backwards on a steamed up window with my left hand, as easily as I write normally right handed. My wife, daughter, son in law and their son, are all left handed, with an *. Grand son writes and eats mostly lefty, plays ball right handed, golf left handed. Daughter and son in law both bat right handed. My dad was a righty, but batted, very well I might add, left handed. My late brother was a switch hitter, and could throw about 3/4 as well lefty as right. One of my friend eats and writes left handed, throws, bats and golfs, right handed. My son is strictly right handed, his two boys use both hands for different tasks.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#34 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 11:22 AM

I'm right handed.  I do everything right handed as far as normal things(eat, drink, use a computer mouse, write, ect)  I don't play any sports, never have, so I can't comment on how I would do that. 

When it comes to mechanic work, if I can get at it with my right hand that's how I tackle it, but if I have to use my left hand I can do so just fine.  My dad smacked me upside the head enough that I know right tightly lefty loosey!  He used to yell at me.

Some of you guys talking about being forced to be right handed...my grandmother was left handed but in school was forced to do everything right handed.  She could write equally well with both hands.

My mom, dad are both right handed.  My daughter is right handed, son seems to be right handed so far.

• Gtractor and HDWildBill have said thanks

#35 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 226 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 03:16 PM

I think lefties get good at somethings because we are forced to adapt. I've found doing mechanic work, I can have a nut in each hand and run them in or out simultaneously. I'm left dominate but most things it doesn't matter which hand I use.
  • MFDAC and HDWildBill have said thanks

#36 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,231 Thanks
  • 7,465 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 04:13 PM

I'm right handed, so I don't know what I'm talking about. Nom' sayin'? But my wife has a nephew who was left handed. He dad was mean! Do you all understand mean? Anyway he forced Alex to use his right hand. It didn't work real well and he was hand neutral and kind of screwed up in the head.

#37 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 78477
  • 665 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 09:37 AM

I'm somewhere in the middle as far as using left hand for everything.

I shoot right handed, fish left handed (left hand runs the crank on the reel) I write left handed, I use right hand for shifting gt, steer left handed, seem to punch mostly right handed, use knife either handed, tools either hand, use hammer right handed.

#38 Austin OFFLINE  

• Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 437 Thanks
  • 334 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 10:45 AM

I think lefties get good at somethings because we are forced to adapt. I've found doing mechanic work, I can have a nut in each hand and run them in or out simultaneously. I'm left dominate but most things it doesn't matter which hand I use.

I think that's one of the reasons we generally have higher IQs (I am the exception I'm sure.). We're forced to problem solve from day 1. 

• Lauber1 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#39 64fleetside OFFLINE  

• Member No: 77612
  • 47 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 06:36 PM

I write and eat left handed and do most things with either hand, Mom said as a kid I would color with one hand a while then switch. I tend to shoot right handed, and can bat (poorly) either hand. I've been a mechanic for 30 years have no issue with bolts. I use either hand but left is dominate. I can write with my right hand just slow.

#40 olds45512 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 77943
  • 566 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 08:19 PM

here's a good demonstration of me being able to use either hand for most things, enjoy.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks