Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,569 Thanks
  • 3,894 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 02:32 PM

I was 100% left handed until third grade.  In third grade I drew a teacher that,  uh,    well I'll just put a picture of her up so you can see what I'm talking about.

3rd grade.jpg

I wasn't allowed to do anything left handed. Being left handed was a sin!  Maybe that is what started my lifetime habit of being sneaky. 

I'd have to sit on the same side of the table as the teacher when we went to eat lunch in the cafeteria.  If she saw me with a fork in my left hand all hell broke loose.   You'd think I'd shot Santa Clause!

Since then I do some things right handed and some left handed - but I ALWAYS eat right handed.

• HDWildBill and Traill95 have said thanks

#17 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,316 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 02:49 PM

I'm also a lefty and the same goes for me. The only thing I find annoying is most firearms are right handed, but I've been able to adapt.

Must be a Leonard thing , I'm a Lefty and a Leonard, and have found a few semi auto's I couldn't shoot unless I liked a spent cartridge in my face !

• HDWildBill and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#18 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,316 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 02:54 PM

Lefty here, never had a prob with the lefty loosey righty tighty thing ..only thing I do mostly is eat and write with my left hand, when it comes to wrenching and ratcheting I can use either hand comfortably !

#19 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,316 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 02:58 PM

I could never find left handed sports equipment except for a baseball glove and golf clubs. I always wanted to play tennis, swing a bat, bowl, etc., but I'll have to wait for left handed sports equipment to catch on.

I keep my left handed tennis racket and baseball bat hanging right next to my metric pliers and adjustable wrenches ! :rolling:

• Gtractor, skyrydr2, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#20 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 03:43 PM

Take both hands and move your thumb and fingers like you are running in a nut or bolt. One turns right and the other left........ Now think about if you always naturally go to your left hand. I'm not a lefty, but I would think after doing something enough times you would get used to it.

I agree.

I'm right-handed, but I am proficient at mechanical work with either hand.  ....Repetition has made my brain direct my fingers to turn things the correct rotation using either hand.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#21 Buddy OFFLINE  

Buddy
  • Member No: 45481
  • 149 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 03:48 PM

I am a lefty been doing mechanic work over 40 years, no problems.

How ever, being a lefty has its advantages when in a bar room fist fight.

Most think your right handed. Surprise,   Surprise !  LIGHTS OUT......LOL....

• skyrydr2 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#22 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 04:32 PM

I could never find left handed sports equipment except for a baseball glove and golf clubs. I always wanted to play tennis, swing a bat, bowl, etc., but I'll have to wait for left handed sports equipment to catch on.

I see a lot of tennis players use the tennis racket in either hand.  When I was playing softball I would bat both right and left handed using the same bat.  A bowling ball would have to be drilled for a left handed person.  Just saying.

• HDWildBill, classic and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#23 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 04:37 PM

I'm a lefty and a diesel mechanic. I have no problems

#24 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 06:18 PM

I was just goofing off with my comment chieffan. Been bowling before for fun and I grab whatever ball rolls up the ramp thing that holds the balls. There is only a problem when any of the holes are too small. When you go to launch the thing, it hangs on to your fingers and leads to a late release. There is a long pause as the ball goes up, comes back down, and makes a loud wrap on the lane when it hits. I call that a "hangfire". Most of my time is spent wrenching or working around the place. I don't really have the time or desire to watch or play sports for that matter. Everybody does what they like to do I guess, and most of the world probably thinks we're nuts for what we do, HA!
Being left handed is something I don't even think about on a daily basis. Some right handed scissors suck to use with your left hand, and circular saws suck to use with your left hand. The holes in some right handed scissor handles bite into your fingers, and wood chips fly at your face with the circular saw. I'm sure there are a few other inconveniences, but they don't come up often at all.
They say that lefties are more articulate and are more prone to psychological problems. The next time someone asks me why I bother restoring old garden tractors, I now have the perfect response....." Because I'm left Handed "
  • HDWildBill, EricR and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#25 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 07:27 PM

Must be a Leonard thing , I'm a Lefty and a Leonard, and have found a few semi auto's I couldn't shoot unless I liked a spent cartridge in my face !

Military for me was a experience, firing the M60 machine gun, every third round would throw a casing onto my nose too.

#26 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,155 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 07:30 PM

The only problem i have is not knowing my left from right .I have made many turns the wrong way,when my co-pilot tells me which way to go.I did get a finger almost cut off so i use it to help me out to tell which way is right,sometimes still wrong,throw left handed,bat right handed,can throw a football just as bad left or right.Golf right handed as well as bowl,pool but throw darts left handed.oh and by the way i write left handed and that is how i am judged as a left handed person i guess

#27 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 08:08 PM

I am a lefty. I find about half my tools are designed for rights. Tape measures are all upside down. Wrenches are interchangeable.
What is really funny, give a right hand guy a left-hand snips. They struggle....

#28 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 09:18 PM

I'm left handed as well as my older sister. She was smacked on the left hand with a ruler in school when she would use it to write but kept it up anyway, without TOO many emotional scars!.

I've had to learn how to do most things right handed for the same reasons that has been discussed, but in my apprentice sign painting days being left handed nearly nearly cost me and the journeyman our lives. We were 60 feet up on a "swing stage" painting a billboard. We raised and lowered the stage with rope "falls" (don't ask me why they call them that) and the tie off was a half-hitch of sorts around a steel hook. I was shown how to tie it by right handers and could not get it right. I tried and it slipped. I managed to grab and hold it before we got dumped then the journeyman got over to my end and tied it right. After that I would just hold it until he got his side secure and then he would come over and secure my side too. I never trusted tying them and the guys I worked with were ok with that!

Nowadays since I work firmly on the ground my job requires a lot of plumbing pipe assembly. The guys always make me wrap teflon tape on the male fittings as it seems they always wrap it backwards! It seems natural to me to wrap the tape left handed---LOL!

DAC

• HDWildBill, Leonard VanCamp and kloudbuster1 have said thanks

#29 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,881 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 09:50 PM

I am also left handed, but didn't attend Catholic school. So I'm still left handed. I never had an issue with mechanical things, except hand saws and circular saws. Thank goodness for worm drive saws.

Growing up, I played sports depending on what was available. Threw left handed, batted right. Play hockey and golf right handed. Play basketball left handed, except free throws were done with the right. I was below average on those, but had a good 8th grade coach who suggested I try them the other way, and it worked. Shoot right handed, including hand guns.

We are currently teaching our youngest daughter to write left handed out of necessity. (long story) It is not going well. Her older sister is left handed, she is not.

#30 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 03:11 AM

I'm dominate left handed!! Anyone wants to try and get me to use my right hand wound up with a left hook! Just ask my old school teacher, who now has false teeth.. I can use my right hand as well, but prefer not too, I shoot lefty, bat and golf as I see fit, sucks needing 2 sets of clubs... I write, and eat lefty as well. Only thing I do right handed is play hockey, find I have way more accuracy and power for wrist shots with my left hand at the top of the stick?
  • HDWildBill, EricR and Buddy have said thanks