4 replies to this topic

#1 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 83309
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 07:59 AM

First of all I would like to thank the person who wrote the article: Bolens Tractors: The Tube Frame Series 1962-1978! What a wealth of useful information, Thank You! 

After reading the article I have a question about the 650 I am restoring. I purchased this 650 about 20 years ago and it has a Briggs 8hp (model 190402) manual pull start on it. I read that electric start was an option for the 650's that year (1966). The tractor has everything in place to be an electric model and I have tracked down a Delco Remy starter/generator and regulator, BUT the engine DOES NOT have a belt pulley on the flywheel and, if I was able to locate a pulley, I don't see anyway to attach the pulley to the flywheel.

• Bolens 1000 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 08:11 AM

Welcome to GTtalk.  I'm sure one of the Bolens members will be by shortly to answer your question.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 08:47 AM

Welcome :wave:

The original setups on these were a rope start sheave in the center  then higher up there was the sheave for the starter belt.

What kind of setup do you have on there ?

• HDWildBill said thank you

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 04:17 PM

. I purchased this 650 about 20 years ago and it has a Briggs 8hp (model 190402) manual pull start on it. I read that electric start was an option for the 650's that year (1966). The tractor has everything in place to be an electric model and I have tracked down a Delco Remy starter/generator and regulator, BUT the engine DOES NOT have a belt pulley on the flywheel and, if I was able to locate a pulley, I don't see anyway to attach the pulley to the flywheel.

There were two models of the Bolens 650 tractors in 1966.  ...Model # 184-01 left the factory as a 6hp manual (recoil) start.  ....Model # 185-01 left the factory equipped with the starter/generator attached.

Unlike the earlier Bolens Ride-A-Matics where an electric starter kit was available to convert a manual-start tractor to electric-start, no such kit was offered for the Bolens 600, 650, or 750 tractors.

If you look at page 7 of the B&S Parts List:  http://gardentractor...0400-to-190499/  you can see the typical brackets and belt pulley used on your existing engine.  ...These parts are similar (if not the same) as those used on the model 185-01 tractors.

Your existing 8hp engine needs to have the bosses and threaded holes to accept the starter mounting bracket.

Also, not all D/R starter-generators are the same.  ....Some were 6-volt and some were 12-volt.  ....Bolens used the 12-volt models.  ...However, some different brands used starter/gens which rotated in the opposite direction, so make sure your unit is correct for your engine, and has the correct regulator.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#5 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 83309
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Bruce, Like they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". The diagram you provided shows the setup for mounting the starter/generator and the drive pulley and there are 2 threaded holes on that side of the engine. Looks like I will need to buy parts, IF they are still available?? Any thought's on that? Those diagrams don't really show how those pulleys attach to the flywheel. What I have now is a recoil pull cord with a clutch/ratchet screwed onto the front crankshaft. There aren't any threaded holes in the flywheel for mounting anything. Wonder if I will need to replace the flywheel as well?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: briggs, 650, starter, electric system