• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 12:24 PM

The deck turned out good Chuck, I wouldn't worry one bit about any little imperfections as like you said it is on the underside of a mower deck.

This did get me to thinking though about how a powder coated deck might perform with keeping the grass off the underside? I know it would hold up great and the couple of parts that I have ever had powder coated were nice and click when finished. I know it is a little costly but I may have to experiment and do a deck once.

#17 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 30, 2010 - 06:34 AM

I used the same type of primer, I'm just finishing a JD214 deck that was in way worse shape, but still solid as could be. I'll try the EZ slide

#18 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• Member No: 94
  • 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 31, 2010 - 09:34 AM

This did get me to thinking though about how a powder coated deck might perform with keeping the grass off the underside?

I was wondering the same thing. When I finally have the space (hopefully this summer) and the courage to tear into my 'project', I think I'll investigate the power coating idea on the deck. See if a friend of mine can get me a discount through the place he works. :)

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2010 - 09:40 AM

I had a few parts powder coated on the one Cobra I had, like the strut tower brace and a bunch of brackets and if I remember right it was only like $100. Considering they prepped and coated them that wasn't bad at all. Like I said I know the powder coating would hold up better then paint but then I don't know if anything could ever hold up to and rocks kicked up by the mower blades. I think it is definitely worth trying.

#20 JimRhino OFFLINE  

JimRhino

• Member No: 94
  • 1 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 01, 2010 - 08:18 AM

I think I'll have the entire tractor Rhino Lined!!:laughingteeth::bounce::laughingteeth:

#21 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 08:40 AM

Got the deck back on and mostly leveled. I need to see if i can adjust the adjustment range because I it se on level 5 and I am cutting at around 3". Would like to have more adjustment.

Mowed pretty good, but the grass isn't thick yet. I was trying to even it all up and cut down the wild onions.

#22 allischalmersman78 OFFLINE  

allischalmersman78

• Member No: 460
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 11:29 PM

Sure is a good looking mower deck.

#23 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted July 29, 2010 - 12:51 PM

I coat mower decks for 300-450 depending on size and how bad of shape its in ,and thats start to finish, stripped ,chemically pretreated ,and coated

the price goes up if you want a primer or a clear coat
I dont think the price is to bad you get an almost brand new product out of it that should last 15x longer than any form of wet paint

#24 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 29, 2010 - 03:07 PM

TSC carries a great product called "EZ Slide". A teflon based stuff we put on our grain/silage truck beds. Really helps stuff slide out & I put it on an Allis 416 deck. Really helped a lot from grass sticking. Before mounting, it'd be the perfect time to apply a coat of the stuff should you choose.

Dan, How do you think this stuff will work on rust pitted plow moldboards? The Plow Moldbroards I am finding all have some degree of pitting. They clean up well in your electrocution tank idea. Made mine 55 gallon and it works great and cleaned the pits out well so I think Something will stick.

#25 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 29, 2010 - 03:15 PM

I doubt it would stay on long in the high wear areas, but it would likely stay in the pits. It would stay on the rear portion of the moldboard pretty well I'd think. The sand/etc in the dirt is pretty abrasive. One of my plows was pitted pretty bad and rough. I took an air sander, rotary instead of orbital, and smoothed the surface. Didn't take all the pitting out, but it plowed much better after.