9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Went through this tractor a couple years ago and was running great.  Last spring it was hard to start.  Changed the plug to another Champion and got along good all year.  This spring was hard to start again.  Got it running yesterday morning and drove it around with Granddaughter for a while, stopped at the shop and shut it off.  Now it won't start at all.  Cannot get fire through the plug and it don't have over 4 hours on it.  Spark checker shows a nice spark but with the plug out and grounded good there is no spark.  Looks like another new plug is in order but this time it won't be another Champion.  I learned to hate them a long time ago and my feelings haven't changed one bit.  NGK or
Autolite, even a Bosh but no more Champion plugs.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#2 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 05:27 PM

I have had both good and bad luck with them, I use j8c's in my old briggs  and d16's in my wisconsins, but try not to use them elsewhere, problem seems to be when you go for plugs for small engines they're the first thing they want to sell you.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,612 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Autolite

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 08:26 PM

I like both champion and autolite, but each machine seems to like their own brand  generally only use J8's for my Ride-a-Matics / kohlers and Champion's for my wisconsins, the rest get Autolites

But they are all now made in Mexico so dont know if there is much of a difference anymore! :shoot2:

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 08:31 PM

We sold Champion and Autolite plugs for many years and did not experience failures with new plugs.  .....That was 30-40 years ago, so maybe the plugs were better quality then. 

However, we did notice that "lawnmower" plugs (Champion J17-LM )  did not last, so we stopped selling them, and preferred automotive plugs such as Champion J-8 or J11, or Autolite A7 or A9. 

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens and chieffan have said thanks

#6 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 1,100 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Went through this tractor a couple years ago and was running great.  Last spring it was hard to start.  Changed the plug to another Champion and got along good all year.  This spring was hard to start again.  Got it running yesterday morning and drove it around with Granddaughter for a while, stopped at the shop and shut it off.  Now it won't start at all.  Cannot get fire through the plug and it don't have over 4 hours on it.  Spark checker shows a nice spark but with the plug out and grounded good there is no spark.  Looks like another new plug is in order but this time it won't be another Champion.  I learned to hate them a long time ago and my feelings haven't changed one bit.  NGK or
Autolite, even a Bosh but no more Champion plugs.

X10 ^

Amen.

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 01:12 AM

I always look for NOS plugs in the swap meets. Sometime in the 60s or 70s the plug manufacturers started not glazing the porcelain like the older plugs. This lets fuel and oil soak into the porcelain making them easier to short out. A cleaner running engine doesn't have the problems. If you regularly foul the modern plugs, tweaking the carb settings to as lean as possible will help.

• Bruce Dorsi and chieffan have said thanks

#8 karl ONLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,036 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 04:38 AM

At one time it was champion and fram. their both garbadge now. I'm not supprised! but not saddened either.

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 11:53 PM

Made a run in to town this morning and luckily NAPA had an NGK plug to replace the J8.  Got home and gaped it at the recommended.0 25 and put it in.  First pull with full choke I got a pop.  Second pull no choke to to off running,  Hauled a couple cart loads of weed to the fill area for the Mrs. and it never missed a beat.  Now we will see if it can stand sitting through the winter without being started.

NGK to the rescue once again.

• stiemmy said thank you

#10 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 1,100 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 10:48 PM

Made a run in to town this morning and luckily NAPA had an NGK plug to replace the J8.  Got home and gaped it at the recommended.0 25 and put it in.  First pull with full choke I got a pop.  Second pull no choke to to off running,  Hauled a couple cart loads of weed to the fill area for the Mrs. and it never missed a beat.  Now we will see if it can stand sitting through the winter without being started.
NGK to the rescue once again.

What about the "weed"? Lmao! J/K
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you