#1 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,670 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:28 PM

I bought the soldier back in the early 90's off the original owner ,it had a blade, deck , snow caster and tiller, he bought it new I think in '74 I have the paperwork somewhere. It was my main snow removal unit for probably 5 or 6 yrs and got the rough part of the lawn mowing duties because my wife was forever hanging the 60" deck up on the Duratrac and Old Whitey would pull it out. Somewhere along the line (late 90's) it dropped a valve and the seat so I decided to take it to the Bolens dealer where I bought the Duratrac to overhaul it ,no BS they rebuilt the engine, the hydro and replaced every bushing , bearings etc. I had to have Wells Fargo deliver the cash for payment of bill , really no BS , my wife still hasn't got over it really, really no BS.
As luck would have it with about 10 hrs on the rebuild it started ticking pretty loud while I was blowing snow, I finished up, pulled it it the garage let it cool off, tried to start it and it wouldn't . Pulled the engine , tore it down and discovered it had stripped about a dozen teeth of the timing gear on the end of the camshaft, talk about a bummer . So Old Whitey sat patiently waiting for me to find a good used camshaft , one was procured and I got the box of engine parts out and started reassembly , I then discovered one of the main bearing housing on the end plates had spun loose. Thought about epoxy but decided against it. Looked like Old Whitey was going set awhile longer.
Eventually I came across a XL series 16 hp engine at a local machine shop that had overhauled it and the owner stiffed the machinist , a price was agreed on and Old Whitey would soon be back in action... not so fast, tapered shaft and smaller diameter crank and the XL series is not has deep because Tecumseh changed their internal counterbalance design, so a trip to the machine shop and some retro-fitting and Old Whitey was fit for duty. Trouble was I discovered Large Frames , the Bolens bug being what it is made me think I needed every Large Frame I saw, I did my best to own most of them and that left poor Old Whitey regulated to yard rat wagon puller and yes the horror, setting outside back in the woods under a tarp. Old Whitey had been shamefully forgotten.
Fast Foward to 2014 at a auction in Jamestown NY with a mindset to own a pretty nice Haban Sickle-Mo and lawn cart , took both home. Pushed the Sickle -mo back in the corner.
Powers to be determined our road was too narrow , had too much crown and piss poor drainage all astute observations on their behalf . Our road got a facelift , widened, flattened and let's see what was the third part ... Oh I got it Drainage , yes drainage... Um ... Ah.. we own the right away they said , no shtt was my reply, I ended up with a 18" deep ditch and about a 45 degree bank where my soft swale of a drainage path once was... No longer mow-able... Humm... Haban... Old Whitey... worth a try.
A most effective match was made, screw the townships un-mow-able ditch that they'd knock the 3 ft grass down once a summer. No more 500' foot of weed-wackin, Old Whitey and the Sickle -Mo made short work of it.
Today I gave Old Whitey a new carb, media blasted the muffler and heat shield , hit it with Hi-Temp paint and proceed to trim the ditch line and all the tree lines
Here he is , in his work clothes , just finished up work detail, and yes Old Whitey is back in the dry when he's resting... the old boy has earned it.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, June 04, 2016 - 07:37 PM.

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 14 others have said thanks

#2 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,451 Thanks
  • 1,808 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:39 PM

Glad to see its back in use,gotta feel funny after sitting on the LF'S
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#3 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 617 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:46 PM

Doesn't look too bad for a tractor that sat outside under a tarp for so long. Good to see it out to good use once again.

#4 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,670 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Glad to see its back in use,gotta feel funny after sitting on the LF'S

Yup, knees up near steering wheel, when I get one of these 20's back together I'm going to put that Sickle-Mo you brought me back from Colorado on it and Old Whitey may get his work clothes made to look new... maybe.
  • blackjackjakexxix and Paulgo have said thanks

#5 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,162 Thanks
  • 1,452 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Good looking tractor, those hydro tubeframes are beasts.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,809 Thanks
  • 6,602 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:04 PM

Well, I"m still trying to MAKE an old Whitey at my place. Maybe have to give it a name, but won't be nice with all the trouble it is giving me makin' it live again!  I still have a G10 that I got cheap w/out an engine, wonder what that one will bring to me, Joy or Craziness!  Going WHITE is hard to do, heh! :smilewink:

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,924 Thanks
  • 17,297 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:19 PM

Glad you got her going , is that a NOS carb or did you get a new Walbro replacement?

#8 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,709 Thanks
  • 1,385 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:19 PM

Let's see - first floor of the museum can be tube frames, second floor walk behinds, third floor can be other brands, east wing can be large frames, west wing can be works in progress, north wing can be ones yet to start on, south wing can be brochures and other collectables . . . . . . . .

Thanks for sharing - it is always great to hear how it came to find a home with you and the on again / off again relationship that develops with the "Bolens Bug" addiction.  

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#9 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,207 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Boy, that dropped valve and seat thing sounds familiar! My H14 did that right in the middle of blowing snow. Good to see Old Whitey out and about.

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#10 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,670 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 04:39 PM

Glad you got her going , is that a NOS carb or did you get a new Walbro replacement?

It's genuine Walbro , same carb that was on it, two kits later and it still kept loading up when I engaged the PTO with the a load on it, saw some on Ebay for crazy price (IMO) found some for considerably less, now that I see they are an endangered species (?) I think I'll see how many more he has, may buy him out. ( I have 3 more Tecumseh powered TF's and I want to be prepared )
  • Bolens 1000 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#11 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 603 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 06:10 PM

Right on!!