• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 603 Thanks
  • 381 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:08 PM

Found a 900 near me for 75$ and it looks terrible, it appears to have spent the last 50 years outside, it has no engine along with various other parts missing but it does have the complete gearbox, i was hoping it also had the driveshaft brake setup which was missing off of my 900 and If it happened to have good gears that would be an nice additional bonus, although I had low hopes that it did.

These tractors don't show up very often around here so I thought it would be wise to pick it up and hope for the best.

So I brought it back home a month or so ago and it has just sat outside in the trailer, I immediately noticed that it has the driveshaft brake components so I'm glad about that.

today my 850 locked up while I was plowing dirt, I have not opened her up yet but I suspect something broke in the transmission and it is locking the gears. Anyhow I figure now was a good time to see what exactly was the condition of that 900 gearbox and I was pleasantly surprised! Gears look really good.

I now have good gears for a 3 speed, my 850 had a badly worn first gear and I suspect my 900 is the same.

Who would have expected this tractor to turn up with good gears, it just so happens the seat was also put to good use and is being refurbished by 29 chev, it was the best of the three I had.

a1deafc0510cdaa539770a37311e434d.jpg
fb1dffde7ec693253a61857b7a9274ae.jpg
a92378c66d821ebfae8f949be8ba1c34.jpg
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#2 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,344 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Money well spent I would say
  • Chubien said thank you

#3 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:29 PM

Sorry to hear about the 850 locking up - hopefully it is nothing serious.

The 900 gears look very good considering - I would let them sit in a bit of used motor oil for a few days - it may help remove any surface rust on them.  Every once in a while you get what you pay for and then some - hope the brake works out and is not seized up from sitting for so long.

• Chubien said thank you

#4 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 603 Thanks
  • 381 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 07:30 AM

I'm sure everything is seize up on the brake system, but nothing time and patience won't get to the bottom of. The gearbox is (was) really clean until I took the top cover off which is when all the deposit from the rusty cover dropped inside. I'll give that a thorough cleanup and have a closer look at the gearbox/axle condition when I have it in the garage and away from the mosquito hedge. I did note one of the shift forks had been repaired.
  • 29 Chev said thank you