#16 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 07:39 AM

How about more snakes instead of cats.  :smilewink:

Your right on there Kris.  We have several bull snakes around here and make sure we don't kill any when mowing.  Seen several around this year already.  Very little mouse problem around here, but the 12 or so cats help out too I am sure.  Snakes don't stink the place up near as bad as a cat does though.

• Gtractor and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 08:49 AM

78102e505e9c13a6737430bf11da1600.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • MH81, KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#18 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 09:42 PM

this guy isn't the best about maintaining his property and is unfortunately somewhat of a "hoarder"; you should look into his house windows...  detached garage too... yuck.  I don't ever go in there, nor do I want to. I only go there to access the particular barn that I am allowed to use, and occasionally to help him with some yard work.

the barn that I use, he leaves alone for me/ but his other barn is nasty to say the least..... the house and the barn he uses are both ~100-125' from the barn that he lets me use.... in opposite directions.  one east of "my" barn, the other south.  the barn that he lets me store stuff in, he hasn't filled with his stuff, just iron with a little bit of electrical (switches wiring, batteries, etc)  plus a spare (bare) truck body (cab, doors, bed, and I think 1 fender maybe) that belongs to my son; no interior, no wiring.

no foodstuffs in that building at all. .... I was just back out there today, as I just finished working on his Cub 1250 this morning, and wanted to get it back to him/ and I brought his CC 1200 home to go thru and get running, my wife and I also spent ~3 hours out there mowing, had 2 tractors running and weed eat-ed around the house, attached garage and the barn that I use...... who ever he has had mowing this season so far, does not get very close to the buildings,  I "fixed" that issue for now....

I wonder if I spray a heavy dose of Roundup say, a foot wide around the perimeter of that barn, if that would help deter unwanted bugs and mice.... being that the barn I use is <10' from the edge of a corn field certainly doesn't help matters much especially around harvest season.... I hesitate to put traps or poison within the building because I'd rather repel them in the 1st place, traps tend to "bait" them and get them more interested in "investigating" areas that they do not belong in the 1st place/ they have a chance to do lots of damage on the way to that baited trap.... I want some kind of "barrier",  something that will tell them " no, nothing for you in here, don't even waste your time going in there".....

I do not want to sound "mean" but if these pests want to go anywhere else on the property besides my storage area, they can "have at it". just do not want them in my machines any more.

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 08:06 AM

78102e505e9c13a6737430bf11da1600.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I made a couple of these and put them in the out sheds.  They do work and I had to empty to one several times but I still ended up with mice nests in the engine tin's  :wallbanging:   I've also tired moth balls in this one shed and that didn't deter them either.  Trouble is it is one of those cheap sears sheds I put in years ago and access is to easy for them.  I may have to do some mods this summer to keep them out this next winter.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#20 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 08:30 AM

I've been using the 'Tom-Cat' baits. Seems to keep them out of the dog food in the garage.

I keep mine in an old cooler. It hold almost a full 50# bag.

• dodge trucker said thank you