• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 05:38 PM

ok so I went out to the storage barn today, swapped out the NH S14 and the Yazoo (while I wait to find a transmission donor for it) for my Ariens GT19 and the property owner's Cub 1250 so I could bring them home and get them going. Cub has been sitting outside a couple years untouched, kind of leery what I might find there. (I went through that tractor for him 5-6 years ago and did alot to it then, as I remember same story on his Cub 1200, that one's next to get going)

but as for my GT19, it ran when I parked it in the barn last Fall, knowing that I'd have to bring it home and yank the engine so I can mess with the sticky starter Bendix and the flywheel side oil seal...

When I parked it I had run it completely out of gas....

first thought was to hook the NH up to it and pull it out of the barn. Back wheels seemed locked/stuck, would not turn/ they wanted to turn opposite ways of each other...

So I pull the battery out of my Woods ZTR that is also waiting for a donor transmission to come up, and put in the GT19... I put some gas in the tank,  and then pulled the air filter to dribble some gas in the carb... to find it packed full of corn kernels... there is a corn field ~20 feet from the edge of this barn.

good thing it has the seperate filter plate to actually hold the air filter into place under the filter housing, no corn in carb throat at least.

So I hit the key and it fired right up confetti flew EVERYWHERE from beneath the shroud.... mouse house...

had the same issue with mice on my Trac Vac 2 years ago, but not this past winter or this spring when I pulled it out and checked it over because I sold it....

there is NO food source within the barn at all.... no left over munchies, wrappers, nothing. so I would thought they would have left that place alone.

I'm afraid what I might find on the Woods ZTR and my Cub 129 that are right next to where I had the Ariens parked.... and my Deere walk behind snow blower.... great.

• MH81, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 05:56 PM

I second damning them. They get into everything and cause lots of damage each year around here. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:00 PM

Mice tear up so much. I've had cars stored end up faith mouse houses all over the place. Stinks so bad when they get in the heat blowers...

A bucket, bleach, a stick and a bottle covered with peanut butter. Did this at the camp, killed a mountain of mice. But they are coming back around again, killed 4 more on glue traps.
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Oh Yeah!!! Those damn mice!!! I hate em too!

But, what's our option? More Cats? Think about that!!

• dodge trucker, JBRamsey and chieffan have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:46 PM

I live 30 miles from this place, not mine, guy that lives there is a past coworker of mine, whom I see any time that his car needs service..... one of few people that I still do "side work" for..... if I lived there then yeah there'd be at least a few cats running around.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:22 PM

I had one of those 5 gallon buckets in the storage shed over the winter and caught quite a few mice but they still built an nest in all the Tins of the mowers and tractors I had stored in there.  :mad2:   Those little things are EVIL!  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

• dodge trucker, holdenboy1960 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:23 PM

How about more snakes instead of cats.  :smilewink:

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:12 PM

You Know....that is one thing I have not had a problem with, mice!   I have had them in garage a few times, but traps set out got them each time. I have Bought tractors with mouse house under engine hoods, usually Briggs, but have never had one in tractor or eating wires. Lucky?  Wonder if have problem in new shed if I store in there?  I better be putting traps in there in fall. Those will be the Nice tractors and hate to have to start over fixing stuff again on them.

#9 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:34 PM

The mice can really be a pain, had one eat all of the coating off of the spark plug wire on a LT years ago, that was interesting to say the least.

#10 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:51 PM

A bucket, bleach, a stick and a bottle covered with peanut butter. Did this at the camp, killed a mountain of mice. But they are coming back around again, killed 4 more on glue traps.[/quote]

How about a pic of how this works?

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:54 PM

I set about six spring traps out everyday. I usually catch a few a week until I had a rat snake in the garage. I guess he left because the mice are back. I have one trap in the same location that looses it's bait every night but dosen't get triggered. I tried the glue trays but nothing but a few bugs. I'm using peanut butter mixed with corn syrup to make it sticky & firm. I might try a new batch to make it harder to get off. Moth balls work good spread out around the wheels & on engine.
  • dodge trucker, zippy1 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#12 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 11:57 PM

Bout the only thing I found that worked some, was the moth balls. I cut some of the wife's nylons into six inch lengths, tie a knot of the one end and add about five moth balls then knot up the other end.

Place them around the engine mostly, and have had "less" trouble than without anything, so it does help, some. The old cub barn does get to stinking on a hot day though...

I see you can't even buy the good poison anymore. The packets with the little mice size kibble. Used to go through a couple packets a month, now they have an enclosed packet that the mouse has to go into a tunnel to eat off a block then continue on out of the tunnel. So far no luck with the "new and improved" model. Safer for your pets, but my pets never went into the building.

Edited by zippy1, June 04, 2016 - 11:58 PM.

• dodge trucker and karl have said thanks

#13 karl ONLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,034 Thanks
  • 773 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 04:36 AM

Bout the only thing I found that worked some, was the moth balls. I cut some of the wife's nylons into six inch lengths, tie a knot of the one end and add about five moth balls then knot up the other end.

Place them around the engine mostly, and have had "less" trouble than without anything, so it does help, some. The old cub barn does get to stinking on a hot day though...

I see you can't even buy the good poison anymore. The packets with the little mice size kibble. Used to go through a couple packets a month, now they have an enclosed packet that the mouse has to go into a tunnel to eat off a block then continue on out of the tunnel. So far no luck with the "new and improved" model. Safer for your pets, but my pets never went into the building.

Moth ball are tried and true, all the old timers swore by them.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#14 haykarenhardy OFFLINE  

haykarenhardy
  • Member No: 63476
  • 49 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 06:12 AM

Used to put D-Con in my tractor shed, This spring I found one of the plastic New improved models that you could re-fill, had 3 little cubes of bait included. If this does not work I will try a feed elevator, the used to carry the rat bat, this I have not seen in the stores this spring.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 06:51 AM

I've been using the 'Tom-Cat' baits. Seems to keep them out of the dog food in the garage.

• TheFarm2004 and dodge trucker have said thanks