• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CurtisJ OFFLINE  

CurtisJ
  • Member No: 83106
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 11:41 AM

Seriously thinking of buying a Case 446 (1974 ??).  It does everything I want it to do ( goes forward and back, and cuts grass.)   However I do have 2 concerns. (1) how hard are parts to come by when this thing does break down (2) where can I find a good explanation of the hydrive.

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 12:09 PM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#3 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 12:24 PM

Parts are readily available between ebay and new. There's a few dealers that do mail order either online or phone.

As for the hydrive system, it's extremely simple. There's a pump mounted to the engine that fed by the hydro tank in the front of the machine on early ones. Oil is pumped to a center control valve that's operated by the levers on the dash under the steering. When you move the travel lever, your simply opening a valve to allow flow to the drive motor that's mounted to the transaxle. It then returns to the resovoir. Also passes through the cooler mounted on the front. The lift system is also part of the center valve. That fluid passes through a relief to lower pressure since the drive system can see 2000 plus pounds. Lift only gets closer to 600. The entire system is open center so fluid always flows. There's no deadhead in the system.

Hope that helps

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
  • cmn135 said thank you

#4 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Right now the dealers still have a good supply of parts.  including some upgrades that owners and dealers helped design.

Engine parts are pretty high on the onans though.  make sure it is firing on both cylinders they can break a rod and still run on one.

Dropped82 gave a good explanation on the drive.  the factory manuals are really detailed on the hydraulics with service and troubleshoot. check the manuals here you may find what i mean.  fixing the drive can be messy and hard to get up under there but there is a lot of help available, sometimes it is as simple as putting the right oil in there, good luck

#5 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:49 PM

Case tractors are great tractors. Tractor Parts are available,  A 446 probably has an Onan engine parts are high priced and the ignition coil is unavailable new, I'm trying to find a replacement for mine right now.

#6 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Harley coils on ebay work great. Just be sure they have internal resistors

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, June 12, 2016 - 07:53 PM.

• TheFarm2004 said thank you