5 replies to this topic

#1 Viper409 ONLINE  

Viper409
  • Member No: 82822
  • 12 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 09:25 AM

Hi guys,

I tried out the mower on my 1254, and it was pretty loud when running at full speed. I took it off the tractor, got the belt cover off, and pulled the belt loose to turn everything by hand. I noticed a few things with it.

First, the PTO box has a very small amount play in it, about 1/16 of an inch, before the gears mesh and it starts turning the drive pulley. Is this normal, or should I rebuild the gear box?

Second, two of the three blade assemblies make a lot of noise when turning by hand. Is this the blade drive pulley, or the bearings in the housing that the blade is attached to? I put five or six pumps of grease into the one fitting, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I am moving to a new house in about six weeks, and would like to have it running well, so I don't need to cut 3/4 of an acre by push mower.
  • tracidf18 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 10:09 AM

I have similar issues on my new to me B deck. Will be watching for answers.  My spindles seem good, front one not as easy to spin or last as long when you do, and my gear box also has slight play,  but not much. Haven't opened it up to see if any lube in it, probly not!  Spindles did grease up and are better now.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 10:29 AM

90% of the noise on these decks is bearings , what model deck do you have?

The only real loud ones were the few runs where they used those tapered roller bearings, those were a power hog as well as a noise maker , the ball bearing design was much better and quieter

#4 Viper409 ONLINE  

Viper409
  • 12 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 11:49 AM

It is a model 18423-01. The one pulley is quiet, and spins well. The other two are quite loud. I checked the centre pulley, and the grease was coming up under the pulley between the deck and the driveshaft. I'm guessing that this means the seals and bearings need to get replaced.

I got the two set screws out from under the pulley. How do I get the pulley off the driveshaft?

Edited by Viper409, June 04, 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#5 Viper409 ONLINE  

Viper409
  • 12 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:05 PM

I tried prying it off, and it came up a little bit, but I don't want to wreck anything.

#6 Hydrohusky OFFLINE  

Hydrohusky
  • Member No: 48182
  • 36 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 09:23 PM

I'm using a recently restored 18423-01 and its relatively quiet. I get a little noise from the drive shaft and the blades moving the air. Maybe a little gear box noise. There are two bearings on each blade spindle. Correct bearing should have seals facing the outside of the spindle blocks and be open on the inside so the grease can penetrate them. The grease in the spindle shafts on my deck was so old, it had hardened preventing new grease from getting to the bearings.

After restoration I took the time to level the deck. I had to slightly bend the deck/wheel on the discharge side to get it level side to side. It now cuts really well.....at least the neighbors compliment on how nice and even the lawn looks.