• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 01:32 AM

The 1254 fires up happily but the gears are very noisey with a loud high pitch metallic sound. The tractor does move and the breaks works ok. I hope that the transmission need to be drained as I think the oil is contaminated with water mixed with old grungy oil. Perhaps a thorough clean and new oil will cure this or at the very least reduce the screeching? Also I guess regular use will ease the gears too.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Bolens800uk, June 04, 2016 - 01:34 AM.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:19 AM

Change the fluid immediately. The contaminamts can damage bearings and gears. You may want to fill it with kerosene to flush it out. If it has a filter, be sure to change it. Good Luck, Rick

• blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:58 AM

Drain, flush and fill. Keep your fingers crossed

• boyscout862 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#4 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:30 AM

Thanks. I will crack on with that soon.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:30 AM

Has the rear axle endplay been adjusted???

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#6 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,094 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:27 AM

As suggested drain, flush and replace the fluid - try and use a GL-1 gear spec that is bronze safe - most GL-4 and GL-5 spec gear lubes contain additives which may damage bronze pieces under certain conditions.  Is the noise the same in all gears in both hi and lo range and also present in reverse?  If the noise is present in all gears or just in certain ones may help determine whether the noise is caused by a bad bearing, bearings or gears and if so which ones - if you check out the Tube Frame service manual it shows what gears and bearings are in play in each gear. 

#7 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 09:33 AM

Thanks.

I will put the above questions to my mate Daniel as the 1254 is at his place. The back axle is full of a mixture of oil and grease which he plans to drain at some point. I think the oil he got is EP90 which I used on my 1971 Lamd Rover a while back. I cant't remember if he said anything about the back axle end play adjustment.

Thanks
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#8 heliosuk OFFLINE  

heliosuk
  • Member No: 59196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 04:29 PM

By design Bolens gearbox's will be noisy due to the straight cut mesh of the gears. My G14 is also noisy. End float on shafts is also critical. Fortunately I managed to snap up the internals of another gearbox from the states for a not unreasonable price which have now arrived so will be doing an intricate re-build soon matching the teeth etc with engineers blue. Backlash noise is invariably caused by poor meshing which is difficult to fix on a straight cut box. Oil quality and cleanliness is paramount  which is what I'll be experimenting with once I have the best gear set possible from the parts I have.

I have heard that some Molycote additives help but am cautious of these as has been pointed out they can attack the brass bits over time.

It's unfortunate we live over the pond as enthusiasts as the supply of parts is limited and expensive. Most of the bits I buy now are from the states and you get hammered on import duty.

#9 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 06:30 AM

Phil,

That's interesting about the noise from the transmission. My mate, Iain, a fellow UK Bolens enthusiast, also mentioned that his Bolens are noisy too. His G12 is the noisiest by far.

I went to my local motor factor this morning and had a quick look at the transmission oils. All the brands were marked as GL5 spec. I will have to do a search on line to source a GL 1 spec gear oil.

The import duty is a bugger. A group of us UK Bolens owner try and help each other out with parts. Recently someone bought a parts tractor to share out between us if needed. If you see something in my area, I can collect it for you if that's help you out and we can organise shipping etc. I have d,one the same thing several times for Chris.

Cheers

Andrew
  • heliosuk said thank you

#10 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,094 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 08:03 AM

If you cannot find a GL1 spec oil you may want to check out manual transmission fluids as most manual transmissions use bronze for the syncros in them - GL1 spec gear lubes can be difficult to find sometimes.  I have a jug of Lucas 50 WT manual transmission fluid that I am planning on using in my next tractor http://lucasoil.ca/p...50-wt-trans-oil.  I spoke with a gentleman at Lucas who recommended it as an alternative - he said it is actually on the heavy side of a 50 Weight and that it does not have any harmful additives that could damage bronze.

#11 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Thanks Stew. I have come across this product in the UK which could be used I guess?

Thanks Andrew.

image.jpeg

PRODUCT INFORMATION
STRAIGHT SAE 90 GL1 NON EP GEAR OIL VINTAGE CLASSICS 5 LITRES

LUBETECH GL-1 SAE Grade 90 5 LITRES Mineral oil based GL-1 gear oil

Product Description:

Lubetech SAE 90 is a non-additive monograde gear lubricant.

Lubetech SAE 90 is an oil blended from carefully selected highly refined paraffinic base oils, which exhibit superior oxidation stability and excellent rust protection. They are available in varying viscosities and are suitable where a non-additive gear lubricant is required.

Benefits:

Cost effective

Non EP

Application:

Lubetech SAE 90 oil is suitable for certain automotive transmissions where a non-EP lubricant is recommended. They are not to be used in heavily loaded hypoid or spiral bevel axles.

Ideal for Vintage, Classics, Scooters such as Vespas Lambrettas and any application where a non EP Gear oil is required

Product Specification: API

GL-1

David Brown

I

#12 heliosuk OFFLINE  

heliosuk
  • Member No: 59196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 03:35 PM

Phil,

That's interesting about the noise from the transmission. My mate, Iain, a fellow UK Bolens enthusiast, also mentioned that his Bolens are noisy too. His G12 is the noisiest by far.

I went to my local motor factor this morning and had a quick look at the transmission oils. All the brands were marked as GL5 spec. I will have to do a search on line to source a GL 1 spec gear oil.

The import duty is a bugger. A group of us UK Bolens owner try and help each other out with parts. Recently someone bought a parts tractor to share out between us if needed. If you see something in my area, I can collect it for you if that's help you out and we can organise shipping etc. I have d,one the same thing several times for Chris.

Cheers

Andrew

Andy,

I'm particularly interested in oils. I don't think additives is too much of an issue as regards bronze but will have a chat with my lubricants and materials teams at work. It's not as though they are working 24/7/365 but recognise older oils deteriorate over time unlike modern oils.

I think the biggest issue is mesh and back lash and end float which leads to the often seen worn down leading edges on many gears seen for sale. This coupled with not fully stopping and selecting the next gear leads to excessive wear rates and burrs which also cause whine.

This afternoon I have parted a 3 speed box after deciding the G10 I bought was too far gone to restore. Parts are currently soaking in the parts washer prior to store.

Suggest we might set up a parts register for small tube bits available in the UK????  have a few bits surplus to requirements now and am happy to act as a collection point for up north stuff.

Also, am due to go to India for 4 months later in the year. Had three mower deck spindles made for £50 as opposed to the £500 I had been quoted here and they were spot on. Will get some front PTO seals made as well once I have measured the one coming from the states.

Rgds

Phil

• LPBolens and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#13 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 04:45 PM

Phil,

That sounds like a good plan about a UK based parts register for TFs. Be interested in your feedback on oils too.

Cheers

Andrew

#14 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted June 05, 2016 - 09:10 PM

Thanks Stew. I have come across this product in the UK which could be used I guess?

Thanks Andrew.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

PRODUCT INFORMATION
STRAIGHT SAE 90 GL1 NON EP GEAR OIL VINTAGE CLASSICS 5 LITRES

LUBETECH GL-1 SAE Grade 90 5 LITRES Mineral oil based GL-1 gear oil

Product Description:

Lubetech SAE 90 is a non-additive monograde gear lubricant.

Lubetech SAE 90 is an oil blended from carefully selected highly refined paraffinic base oils, which exhibit superior oxidation stability and excellent rust protection. They are available in varying viscosities and are suitable where a non-additive gear lubricant is required.

Benefits:

Cost effective

Non EP

Application:

Lubetech SAE 90 oil is suitable for certain automotive transmissions where a non-EP lubricant is recommended. They are not to be used in heavily loaded hypoid or spiral bevel axles.

Ideal for Vintage, Classics, Scooters such as Vespas Lambrettas and any application where a non EP Gear oil is required

Product Specification: API

GL-1

David Brown

I

This gear oil is perfect for the Bolens gear-drive transaxles !

• MailmAn and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#15 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 12:13 AM

Thanks Bruce!