#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Money down today and ordered one of those pre-built sheds or garage really like seen in many parking lots or other places for sale already built, delivered whole.  Mine is being built, made some changes in door and window positions. Is going to be a 14 x 20 with a roll-up door, man door and one window. I have to now get sod and dirt pushed back and load of gravel or stone to set it on leveled out some before it comes.  Most take 30 days, but fella says have been 2 weeks on most of them this summer. I trimmed couple of big branches off a tree last week to clear. Will have to go get a permit now too, talked to them about it already, just need to make a drawing of it on lot and pay the fees. Don't see any issues. Pictures later.  Will have Brown metal roof and I have to stain it then, not sure what color yet, but house and other garage or that light tannish vinyl siding, so might be close to that to match, not sure. This is a barn roof type to get a loft in it, looks neat.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#2 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,480 Thanks
  • 3,377 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 10:14 PM

They're nice, I wanted one like that for my tractors, sprayer, spreader, etc..., but I got such a deal on a repo barn with swing out doors that I had to grab it. I do have a pre assembled double garage, delivered in two pieces and bolted together on my pad, 24 x 24. I love it.

Edited by toppop52, June 03, 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 10:43 PM

I built a 8' X 10' X 8' tall one 20 years ago. Sure wish I had made it your size. No difference in fees and permit just didn't think about it. Even with the 30' X 40' garage we have now we still don't have enough room for everything.  You will enjoy yours. Congratulations. Can't wait to see it.                                 Roger

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,544 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 03:40 AM

That will be nice. Until it is packed full and you need something that is in the very back. That is my experience at least.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Can never have a BIG enough shed

• Gtractor and junkman have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,494 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:51 AM

One suggestion - put an overhead door in each end.  If you don't you will wish you had.

• hamman, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 09:00 AM

Sounds good GL. I think there's a savings on or no property tax on these types of buildings because their not attached. Is your loft area large enough to put an exterior access door like the old barns. I had one one time it was much easier to slide things in & out rather than dropping a ceiling door down inside especially if it's trusses. Keep us posted with pics.

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 10:04 AM

Thanks guys!  Sawdust, had a door like that on shed long ago at old place. Did work for longer stuff especially. I could probly cut one out and build it in, the design is on the front of this. The loft is really in two parts, larger part to front, then a big gap in middle and smaller to back. Still plenty big up there, but more places to set a ladder if I want to get things in or out. Think it has a ladder to go up or maybe that was option and didn't seem like was too cool and in way when not using or something??  I'll just do the ladder thing, just like in my smaller shed, with Mama's help of course, heh!

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 01:46 PM

maybe those stairs/ladder that are hinged to ceiling would work,,then they are out of the way when not in use. 

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 11:20 PM

Jazz, have those in both house and shop garages. They are OK, cost a lot for what they are, AND, we are talking a lot smaller loft in this type shed. A 6ft ladder hanging on wall to use when needed is gonna be a fine tool to get up into attic/loft on this unit. That is  how I get into loft on lawn shed, just use a 4ft one in there for most things.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 04:40 PM

Applied for permit now, haven't heard back yet. I staked it out today for placement. Here's couple shots, what think? ON the anchors, found at ACE some heavy long anchors, one was 3.5 feet and about 3/4" diameter rod, the other was 2.5 feet and about 1/2" rod. The rod has an eye loop at top and a little flat metal "screw" sort of on or near bottom to pull it in ground like a screw I guess. Bet would be better in wet/soft ground for sure that deep. Ordinance says 3ft, so hoping the smaller ones will be OK, they are close. My neighbor just had similar brought in and he didn't anchor, his septic feild is out there somewhere in yard, so he refused. The inspector didn't fight it and signed off when he inspected. I was also told to let them look, they OK thinking you will do it, then DON"T do it, they never come back. SO, will play that game later once it is setting in yard. About 12ft between garage and new shed, tree stays in middle, think it will be fine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160607_163328.jpg
  • 20160607_163316.jpg
  • 20160607_163242.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, June 07, 2016 - 04:42 PM.

• KennyP, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 03:46 PM

Got permit picked up today!  Six anchors requested! Man, what a pain.  Bobcat tomorrow I hope, rain stay away!  Still undecided about stone size, thinking #8 so far, but might be hard to rake and level, not sure. Might go say #5.  This is limestone, not river rock type here in IN.

• Sawdust said thank you

#13 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Got permit picked up today!  Six anchors requested! Man, what a pain.  Bobcat tomorrow I hope, rain stay away!  Still undecided about stone size, thinking #8 so far, but might be hard to rake and level, not sure. Might go say #5.  This is limestone, not river rock type here in IN.

Think about crushed 2A limestone then compact with a plate tamper, even better if you could get a chunk of swamp mat ( soil stabilization fabric) when you pull the top soil back , lay the fabric and then the crushed 2A down , 4-6" lifts then hammer it down be nice and level and a very tight base you could extend it some for a drive and ramp up to your shed after the building is set, keep you out of the mud.
  • Alc, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 04:39 PM

OK, today was the Skid Steer day. Rainy in AM, nothing real hard. I got up about 12:00 to go get, rained some, durn! Quit right away. There was sunshine in back and double rain bows on way home from work at 7:00 am today, was neat! Back to this, went off and got the unit. This thing is pretty big for home-owner's to use. Biggest I have tried. Diesel, foot control bucket. At first kept wanting to kill it and made awful drive noises. Then tried about 3/4 throttle, revved up and much better and quieter. Didn't think would need that speed, but guess it was best. Was a little awkward, the controls pushed hard, but when they moved, was quick to do it's action, a little too quick for my liking actually. Hard to feather the moves. Anyway, the sod peeled and rolled, have couple big piles now to work on later. I took few loads down to shallow spot in ditch, home to level out and maybe roll the sods there to keep on top. Gonna be manual labor there, wear me out later. This thing sure wanted to tear up yard, even worse being kinda wettish. Lots of spinning at first. Tried also to take bank off side of drive, but figure not going so good, so deal with that later. Here's a few shots off my phone in a moment.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160610_134343.jpg
  • 20160610_134415.jpg
  • 20160610_134438.jpg
  • 20160610_134450.jpg
  • 20160610_134509.jpg
  • 20160610_134819.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, June 10, 2016 - 04:42 PM.

• Alc and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 10, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Coming along,good progress. There's not much you can do about not making a lot of work later on a project like this with the dirt. I hope that's not a drainage ditch out by your road.