• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 07:27 PM

All documentation I have seen says that our 1970 GILSON S 14 automatic holds 4 quarts of ATF.

This evening, we drained it, replaced the filter and started to refill the transmission.

We only got approximately 2 quarts out of the transmission and that was by tilting the tractor at about 45*.

We have worked over an hour and only have 2 quarts back in the tranny, and we have it tilted at a 45* angle the opposite direction.

Has anyone else experienced the same problems?

I know the manual says to take it to a "factory service" department, but that ain't gonna happen!

• propane1 said thank you

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Air breather pluged.

Noel

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 08:08 PM

May have to pump it in there like I do my volvo transmission. Many types of pumps you can get a boat primer ball may work.  I have used the little plastic hand pumps and they are good for a few uses. 

#4 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Does it have a dipstick or full level plug? I'd fill it to that and not worry about the book. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen one wrong. Maybe it's supposed to be 4 pints?. You might want to start it and make sure the filter is full.

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Does it have a dipstick or full level plug? I'd fill it to that and not worry about the book. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen one wrong. Maybe it's supposed to be 4 pints?. You might want to start it and make sure the filter is full.

It has a 3/4" pipe "TEE" and you take the plug out to drain & refill.

We drained 2 quarts, and I have 2 quarts back in. I will run it a little to fill the filter then check it and top it off.