• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 09:23 PM

Hello, well today I went to drain and fill the fluids on the estate keeper and thought flushing the trans was a good idea. Turns out that feeling was right and found quite a bit of metal in the pan. In my opinion this is alot of metal and must be examined further. My question is, does anyone have the internals for EK 10 trans still or will this be a search? Thanks for any and all help. Eric.

#2 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Chunks or just a "sheen" in the oil? Does it have a filter of any type? Not familiar with the EKs.

#3 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 10:47 AM

If you find anything that needs replaced,get me some part numbers, might be able to help
  • Eric said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 11:02 AM

You can still find a few parts but the gears can get a little tricky

These are basically the same design and concept of a tubeframe transmission except just a much smaller condensed size.

It still amazes me the engineering that went in to making these Tractors, the transmission is sort of an engineering marvel the way they built it for the Wisconsin engine to fit right inside it!

• Eric said thank you

#5 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 01:42 PM

I don't own an EK and don't know much about them but on my gear driven tubeframes I have made a habit of not only draining the gear oil but I also take the top cover off to flush the gearbox thoroughly with diesel. All of mine were heavily contaminated with metal particles and a thick sludge on the bottom.

I would not worry about it if it runs well, I only had to change a shift fork and a bronze axle bearing out of the 7 tubeframes I own.

• Eric said thank you

#6 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 959 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 03:19 PM

I also have some new EK parts available. If you have trouble locating anything elsewhere, feel free to message me. Don't really see or hear of too many problems with the EK trans. Hopefully you'll find everything in good condition once you get in there.
  • LPBolens and Eric have said thanks

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for all the help and thoughts. This was more than mettalic sheen this was a few chunks like the size of a pencil lead and enough particles to turn the rag into a teenage girls new glitter scarf. I flushed the case with gear oil and used a magnet to collect the majority but I am former military and refuse to run damaged equipment, especially when the gears are so hard to get ahold of. I will open the case and survey the damage then I will most likely contact some of you guys to see if you can help me scource the parts. I live in the woods and not much for help in these parts. Thanks guys you are always great help!
  • blackjackjakexxix, ClassicBolens and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#8 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,141 Thanks
  • 1,207 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:18 AM

If the gears are similar to that used in the tube frame 6 speeds then most can be purchased from gear companies such as Browning as off the shelf units and adapted to what you require with some machining - that is how I repaired the small gear on a three gear cluster on my 1050.  Would have to figure out number of teeth, diametric pitch and pressure angle - I assume they are straight cut the same as the tube frames were.  Another worst case option would be to have the gears cut and then heat treated to harden them.  If you have part numbers you could check with MTD and see if they happen to have any inventory left or any information such as drawings that may assist you in getting new ones made.  If you need help determining what off the shelf gear might work for one that is damaged let me know and I will try and help.  

• Eric said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:29 AM

enough particles to turn the rag into a teenage girls new glitter scarf.

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl: :bigrofl:  :worshippy1:  

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#10 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:54 PM

Thank you for all the help, I will be opening the trans up most likely in a few weeks when I get a few minutes to work on my own equipment. It really is a bummer as that was my go to mower, I guess the Groundskeeper project just got upgraded to the priority project. This could turn out to be a good thing as my wife was wondering when my projects were going to take presidence over everyone else's. Thanks again and I will update you all when I get into it.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, ek10, gears