• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 845 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 06:49 PM

Last summer we had a major remodel done on the house that required changing the grade of part of the lot.  I placed sod around the patio to keep from tracking dirt then seeded in December hoping for a good start on the lawn in the spring.

The sod is supposed to be Kentucky Bluegrass so I seeded with Kentucky Bluegrass seed I bought at Menards.  With the mild winter the newly seeded lawn was up in February.

The sod is a deep green but the seeded lawn is a bright green and hasn't fully filled out yet.  I'm hoping they'll match better after the seeded area fills out.

But here is the crazy thing.  My soil is very sandy and it's been dry so the old lawn and sod is growing slowly.  In fact, parts of the old lawn are going dormant.  That newly seeded stuff is growing like weeds, I just mowed Monday and tonight (Thursday) I cut 2-3" off it!

I wish I'd kept track of just what seed I bought.  If it turns out to be as drought tolerant as it seems I'm going to want it for the whole lawn.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 08:07 PM

You can't trust what's in the bags anymore. I seeded a couple of areas with tall fescue last fall. Came in nice and thick but it is lighter green and fine bladed compared to the rest of my grass/weeds.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and Eric have said thanks

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 08:10 PM

i do not think it is the new seed, I think it is the soil and nutrients in the sod that you laid and then seeded over. Sod retains the fertilizer and nutrients of its base soil for up to about a year depending on conditions. Usually sod operations use sprayable fertilizers in a much more potent consistency than you buy at the box store and they are keen to spray before sale to keep it green while you install it. That is why in track home neighborhoods you see the new sod die after six months to a year as the nutrients are used up and only the base soil content is left it cannot support that voracious eating lawn that they installed. Be carefull to try to let the lawn recover and start to root good so you dont end up in a situation like that.
  • Alc, Sawdust and John Arsenault have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,015 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 08:31 PM

Buying grass seed is a real shot in the dark. Took out a tree last year and tore up the yard with the excavator. Prepped the ground and planted Scott's fall mix. What I've ended up with is so thick it is literally like walking on a carpet. Have to mow twice a week and it still clumps up. I hate the stuff. Should have known I was in trouble when it was still dark green in the middle of winter. Also ended up with a new plant in the grass I've never seen before. Thankfully 2-4-D took care of it. 

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 845 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 08:55 PM

I didn't seed over the sod but adjacent to it.  Whatever landed on the sod didn't take because there is still a well defined edge.  The sod may be a dark green from whatever they put on it but otherwise it has the same soil and fertilizer as the new seeded lawn.  I hit it with the starter fertilizer same as the new seed and everything got the same spring feeding.

There is one patch of the new seed that is especially interesting.  It's about 10' in diameter, brown and looks dormant.  It's roughly where the chips from grinding a stump landed and I suspect the decomposing wood is stripping the nitrogen.  What makes it interesting is that brown grass is growing just as fast as the green stuff.

Oh, there is another area where the old grass never grew well, was mostly bare dirt with a few weeds.  Its elevation didn't get changed but dirt was piled there then scraped back off so it got the new seed.  The new stuff seems to especially like that spot.

Edited by MiCarl, June 02, 2016 - 09:02 PM.

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 09:05 PM

I live in the woods..what ever grows ...grows..haven't cut grass in years,,

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 07:41 AM

The only place I have INSANE grass is in my garden!

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 09:59 AM

Good topic. I have to do something major this fall in the way of seeding & killing weeds in the spring...lots of clover. I think also your soil is making your difference.

#9 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 845 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 11:34 AM

Well yeah.

The other way to guarantee insane grass is to put two stones, bricks or slabs of concrete adjacent to each other and try to keep grass out of the gap.

I'm just not used to the stuff growing in the lawn.

Edited by MiCarl, June 03, 2016 - 11:36 AM.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 12:32 PM

Is that what they're calling it now?

• Cat385B said thank you

#11 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,500 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 10:03 PM

My son in law is a regional manager for SiteOne, formerly John Deere Landscape, formerly Lesco. He gets me a mix that has three variations of four different seeds. It fills in the shady areas, grows in the sun, on clay, sand and lomas. Of course, some soils are easier than others. I use almost no fertilizer and only water extreme problem areas. I do use lime in the fall. It's not perfect, but as long as I mow it every 5-7 days the color looks uniform, if it goes too long between mows, it gets uneven by several inches and looks blotchy because of color difference, but like my son in law said, cut it at 3-3.5" and it looks like deep green carpet.

#12 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 845 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 05:36 PM

It's Friday evening.  I mowed Wednesday evening and it rained most of the day Thursday.  That new grass needs cut already.

It's going to wait until Sunday though.  We're bugging out to the lake for the weekend.