Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Flipping the centers of Case 444 rims for use on the '56 Power King.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 11:55 AM

The front and rear rims are shot that came on my basket case Power king tractor. I found a replacement pair of front rims for 10 bucks each that just need to be blasted and painted. I decided to go with 9.5x16 tires on the rear, and my buddy had a pair of Case 444 16x8 rims for me on a parts tractor. The problem is that the back spacing is way off, and with the rims reversed, the tires would stick way out. There are Ford 8x16 front tractor rims that look like they have the correct back spacing, but they are over 100.00 each and I spent enough on this tractor already. I also wanted to tackle this project for fun anyway. I ground the spot welds that hold the rim centers in place and beat the center out. I just have to flip the rim center and set the back spacing the same as my original PK rims. I can weld the centers back in place from the inside of the rims, so it won't look like they have been modified. The valve stems will be on the inside of the rims, though. The fenders will get raised a bit, since this tractor will be getting tire chains and I'll need the clearance with the taller tires. My old front king pins/spindles are very worn, so I replaced the front axle bushings and bought a nice pair of king pins/spindles. These are from a later PK and are about an inch taller, so the whole tractor will gain a little clearance. I have quite a bit of work ahead of me on this tractor, but it's coming along well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160602_113100-1.jpg
  • 20160602_121537-1.jpg
  • 20160602_115828-1.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#2 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 11:58 AM

Here's a pic of the Ford rim that would have saved me a lot of grinding, beating and welding if I bought them.

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l225-1.jpg

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 12:53 PM

Nothing wrong with what your doing other than more work but isn't that half the fun :dancingbanana:  I'm glad you tried this and posted it,  another way of getting what is needed. When I needed a couple of rims I got some from a scrapper the price was good but I didn't look as good as I should have when I got home and started to clean then up one was narrow like only a 7"  but the other one worked out good.

• classic said thank you

#4 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 01:14 PM

MNGB, I figured why not, in the end I'll be happier with the results. It's just time consuming getting there, but since I don't need to use the tractor right away, I can work on it as I find the time and patients. The whole tractor was a mess.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#5 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 08:18 PM

I used trailer rims for the front of my pk
  • classic said thank you

#6 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 446 Thanks
  • 427 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 01:29 PM

It's always been my understanding they are the same rim just flipped around. Is it possible you could have just reversed the rim and used it?

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Hi Bowl, the Case rims have a different offset, they will mount one way but not the other as the tire rubs, there are rims from some large farm tractor front wheels that will work as well as some heavy duty trailers and farm implements.

• Alc said thank you

#8 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 446 Thanks
  • 427 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 05:10 PM

Thank you for that tidbit of wisdom sir.