4 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 428 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 11:27 PM

Good Day.. 

My sister has a 425 with around 800 hours on it.  She has had trouble last summer and now this spring again, with it flooding when hot.  It starts and runs fine for an hour or so then starts to miss and flood, black smoke.  If it stalls it won't start until it cools down.  I have not run it and seen this myself.  During the winter I couldn't get it hot enough to act up.

Over the winter I installed new plugs, set the valves, lubricated the throttle and choke linkage, changed oil etc.

So thinking out loud.

Would the float stick when hot?  

I don't think its dirt or she would have trouble all the time and it wouldn't go away when cooled down.  

If its spark related  ( the ignition modulator or coil)  thats causing it to miss it would smoke black, unburnt fuel.

Any thoughts on this?

I think I will have to run it myself until it acts up see what its really doing.

#2 Eric ONLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 928 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 11:34 PM

not to sound skeptical but if I had a dollar for every time a driver/pilot/wife told me what was wrong with something and I got there and those symptoms magically were exactly what said person told me on the phone, I wouldnt be a mechanic anymore I would be fat dumb and happy on an island somwhere. Sounds like you have a plan, get a manual troubleshoot and repeat. your on yor way to a working tractor. Good luck.
  • Alberta Bolens said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,669 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 10:06 AM

Weak coil?

#4 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 428 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 10:22 PM

I finally got down to see my sisters tractor and spend some time on it.  I had previously exchanged the ingnigtion modulator with a good one. and today I tryied the ignition delay.  I went mowing with it gras was heavy tall and kind of damp.  after about 45 minut4es The tractor started to miss a bit then push black smoke flooding.  I turned off the mower and limped the tractor back to the shop.   After shuttingit off it would not fire as it was flooded.  We pulled the plugs they were wet, little dark but in good shape.  They were new 10 hours ago.  We pulled the carb took the top off checked the float and needleblew air through orfices, put it back together.  I then wnet and mowed for about 1 1/2 hours with no issues it after shutting it off it would restart no problem.  (which it would not retart when hot before)  

I don't think I fixed anything maybe there was speck of dirt in the carb which we dislodged and hoping it will run well now.  

I just have to wait until they mow again later this week see what happens.  Pain the butt as I am 2 hours away.

Thinkif it acts up again I will bring it home and use it here until I get it figured.  Can't go wrong using a 425 with 750 hours and 60 inch deck.  Even if it only runs hour at a time, that could be beer break for me.

• Gtractor said thank you

#5 Sulley Bear OFFLINE  

Sulley Bear
  • Member No: 84148
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Alberta Bolens,

What is the fuel like in Alberta, Canada area? Specifically, is it blended with ethanol like the fuel is in the U.S.? Ever since the fuel blending in the U.S. became law, my close friend that owns a small engine repair shop orders carbs by the dozen as the Ethanol is so corrosive on small engine carbs, especially when the fuel sits for a few months before being used up.

Just wondering if there was in fact some residue or corrosion inside the carb and the removal and blowing it out temporarily remedied the problem? The fuel situation is so bad with two cycle engines I spend almost $20 per gallon to buy the "Tru Fuel" with the top blended 2 cycle oils and system cleaner. For the little I burn in my two cycle equipment, it is money well spent to avoid the carb problems when I need to use the trimmer, blower, etc.

A close friend and I were cutting wood a few weeks ago and he ran out of blended fuel so I filled his chainsaw with the Tru Fuel and it instantly made a believer out of him. It made the chainsaw run like it was on nitro methane..........More power, easier to start all of the good "side effects" of real fuel.

In my area, the only place you can buy "real, non blended fuel" is at a Marina or at the Farm Bureau station a 30 minute trip in each direction. Since my tractors are all diesel and the only gas I burn is in the 2 strokes, I just buy the gallon of Tru Fuel when needed.

• Alberta Bolens said thank you