• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 09:38 PM

If your ignition system is in good order, and after all you've done it should be, you have a fuel supply issue, obviously. As others have said, use a clean fuel can and a brand new piece of hose with a new filter and try it. That I bet will fix your problem, if so drop the tank and clean it properly, then clean all the hardliners again and replace all rubber.
  • diesel nut said thank you

#32 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 490 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 10:07 PM

Well I just got back to work with it and sprayed the base of the carb and the manifold gaskets with wd40 and didn't really notice a change.  I've put about 10 miles on it so far and haven't had it bog out or die yet, and that was driving it hard and when I came to a hill I stopped at the bottom and waited until I was the only one going up it and floored it so the engine was working hard to get the truck up the hill and it ran smooth.  The only thing now is there is still a slight skip/flutter when I put it in gear and take off up to about 15-20 mph but it was suggested by my dad that it could just be due to the fact that the carb is too big for the engine.  Have to go to my grandparents tomorrow with the trailer so I'll see what happens and take the back roads just in case it acts up again.       Stewart

• Alc said thank you

#33 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 10:10 PM

That acceleration issue could be a lean accelerator pump, also.

#34 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 490 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 03:27 PM

Just got back to work with it and it acted up again.  I had gone about 30 miles total without incident.  Nowhere near as bad as before but it would run decent down the road and then start to chug like it was running out of gas.  Put it in neutral and coasted along as I held the rpm at about 1000-1100 for about 30 seconds and then it was fine for about 5 miles of up and down hill driving then it did it again.  Repeat of neutral and holding the gas and made it the mile to where i was going and it stalled when I let off to pull in the driveway.  Got it started and parked then opened the hood to check a sight glass I put in the line near the carb and it was almost empty.  Let it sit for almost 3 hours and started it back up to show my grandpa what it was doing and try to get suggestions from him and it was fine.  Let it run while I loaded up the trailer and checked it again and it was half empty.  It was running for about 45 minuets at this point.  Reved the engine up and I couldn't see any gas pumping into the sight glass, let off the gas and it would pump a few times pause pump a couple more and stop.  Drove back to work going slow and running it so I'd get up to about 45mph and let off for a few seconds seemed to do the trick except where I was going up a long incline and couldn't do that.  It stalled about a quarter mile from work and I just coasted in the driveway then started it when I stopped.  Opened the hood to check and it was full. My dad came out and I was able to make it drain the gas and he could see the pump work erratic like it was doing before.  Plugged or blocked  line/filter/pump or vapor lock?  Going to check the filter and if anything comes out I'll change it.  It ran rough on startup this morning for a couple minuets till it was warm and ran smooth till it was hot and same this afternoon.                 Stewart

Edited by diesel nut, June 04, 2016 - 03:30 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#35 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,301 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 03:53 PM

I'm with Poncho too.  Fuel supply to the carb is the culprit..  If it were me I'd drop the gas tank and give it a good flush/clean out..  I'd also replace the fuel filter again as you've seen junk in the line..  Could easily be obstructed again..  But that's just me..  Next time you store something for that long treat the fuel with K100

#36 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 490 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 04:10 PM

Just pulled the filter.  Going to get a new one and possibly a new pump as its before the filter and the steel lines are getting replaced.  When I drained the gas out of the filter I got A LOT of rust out of it.  And possibly a new sending unit too, not sure on that yet though.  Just glad I have another vehicle to run while I make up the lines.           Stewart

• olcowhand, Cvans, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#37 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 09:51 PM

Do you have a vapor lock problem? A line or filter very near a heat source?

#38 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 490 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:58 PM

Well I'm back at it trying to get the truck running right.  Had to walk away for a few days as I was getting to the point where I was going to end up doing something to it I'd regret later.  I think I've ruled out a vapor lock issue as I let it run for almost 2 hours and get good and hot during the week on a couple hot days and then sprayed from the fuel pump to the carb with cold water and immediately took it for a drive and it still will die out.  Changed the fuel pump back to the old one today with a new filter just to make sure it wasn't the new pump then started it and let it run maybe 5 minutes while I put some gas in and took it up the road and it did it again.  Plan for tomorrow is to put an electric pump in and run the line from the tank to the pump and into a can to see what kind of flow there is.  If it's questionable then I'm going to order a new sending unit and put it in.  I also plan on talking to a local guy I know that does a lot with the Holley carbs and see if he'll look over mine to see if there might be something I missed when I rebuilt it.           Stewart 

• DougT, propane1 and Auburn David have said thanks

#39 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 490 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 08:54 PM

Put a Facet electric fuel pump in this afternoon and have driven it about 15 miles without any issues.  Going to get on the highway with it tomorrow at some point and see if it does it then.  I really hope it doesn't.  When I had the tank out I wasn't real happy with all the kinks in the sock filter on the end of the sending unit.  Found a couple different people on ebay that sell new sending units with an actual filter on the end so I think I'm going to get one put it in and unhook the electric pump and see if it still does it.  If it doesn't great I'll take the electric pump out and be happy it's fixed.  If it does then I'll wire in the pump permanent.          Stewart

• Cvans said thank you

#40 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 09:04 AM

I've been following all you been doing to your truck and I can get a feel of your frustration. When I was a lot younger and worked in a garage [we were called mechanics back then] we had a car that drove us and its owner nuts as well.We did many different things to it and we couldn't get it to run very good either. The problem ended up being with the exhaust.Some how the inside of the exhaust pipe had seperated from the outside of the pipe the outside of the exhausr pipe looked fine the problem was with the inside, it would slowly close up every now and then creating restricted exhaust flow to the point where it act up like what yours is. I'am not saying thats whats wrong but ??? Hope you find the problem.

• diesel nut said thank you

#41 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 02:04 PM

What ended up happening?

• Sawdust and Auburn David have said thanks

#42 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 342 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 02:46 PM

What ended up happening?

I'm with you, Just read this entire story and no punchline. Don

#43 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 490 Thanks
  • 315 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 02:47 PM

I managed to track down a new sending unit on ebay and finally got it back together last weekend and haven't had a problem since.  The sock filter on the old one finally collapsed and would block off the line.  Plus I'm pretty sure the one in it was from a van of the same vintage because it had a fuel pump on it and a rubber bumper to keep the line from rubbing the bottom of the tank which is steel in the vans.  The wires that ran the pump were just zip tied to the main harness and not part of it.  I put it in a gas can and hooked it up to see if it was working right and after about 10 minuets of running you could hear it slow down and then stop and I haven't been able to make it pump again so that was probably part of the issue too.                 Stewart

• olcowhand, DougT, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks