6 replies to this topic

#1 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 10:49 AM

The wiring is pretty crappy on my CC106 and I was wondering if I should buy a new wiring harness or try to install replacements myself. I know how to do wiring and I have the right tools but I don't want to create a gigantic project.  Do I have to pull the motor to replace the harness if I decide to go that route?

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#2 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 01:22 PM

The new harness should come with a pretty good diagram. And you could take pictures of the old one while its intact . I've done it and I wouldn't call myself a mechanic buy any means. Good luck. Tom
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 01:36 PM

I'm wiring my third tractor now. Download the wiring schematic first. I do mine exactly like original when it comes to color & wire gauges. This way you & maybe the next buyer can trace. Plenty of places to buy wire by the foot or roll, connectors etc. I do one wire at a time, this makes it more simpler for me. Make sure wires are tied up to keep from moving parts. If I'm running more than one wire the full length of the tractor I like to use the plastic conduit, not necessary but keeps wires clean from grease, oil, & debris. Keep us posted.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 01:39 PM

Check our Manuals Section for the diagram. I would make my decision based on the cost of the new harness versus the time it will take you to make it plus the cost of the wires. I'm retired so, I prefer to just do it myself and only replace the wires that are bad. I've tried the liquid tape and am going to use it more in the future. It seems to be better that the shrink sleeve stuff. Good Luck, Rick
  • Sawdust said thank you

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,307 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 03:18 PM

I would just buy a new harness if you don't mind spending the money.That's one thing I love about an older Cub Cadet tractor.You can buy ANY part for them.

$62 + $8 shipping includes wiring diagram and instructions

http://www.ebay.com/...~gAAOSwv~xXDbCF

#6 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 04:01 PM

I would just buy a new harness if you don't mind spending the money.That's one thing I love about an older Cub Cadet tractor.You can buy ANY part for them.

$62 + $8 shipping includes wiring diagram and instructions

http://www.ebay.com/...~gAAOSwv~xXDbCF

I'm kind of leaning this way, partly because I'll need some other parts from this seller.

#7 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 04:46 PM

I agree with Eric.  Just buy a good quality new one.  They are carbon copies of the originals  with the wrap on the wires and usually have new clips to hold it so they are even accurate from a restoration standpoint.  I have wired 4 of them with the new replacement harnesses and for the money and ease of install I personally won't waste the time or money on making one up.  

As for taking out the engine, you may need to unbolt it to get the harness down in the frame rail under the starter generator but that's it.  It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to put in a new one as they are pretty straight forward to do.  If you need battery cables you'll have to get them separate from the harness.  Good luck with it either way.

Edited by IHCubGuy, June 01, 2016 - 04:50 PM.

• lrhredjb and boyscout862 have said thanks