• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 smilenbob OFFLINE  

smilenbob
  • Member No: 83110
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 12:17 AM

I have an issue with my unknown year and model Montgomery Wards Hydrostatic 14 (that's what the decal once said).  Everything ran pretty good on my beast until recently, when I had a drive shaft coupling issue, both ends cracked and eventually sheared from the shaft.  I repaired the shaft and when installing, noticed that the hydro pump was basically falling off the adapter plate.  Removed and resealed pump to adapter and then reinstalled the pump assembly, reattached hoses and drive shaft.  I also drained and changed the filter for the transmission and filled.  Now I come to my issue.  After starting and placing in forward or reverse, the tractor does not move.  I figured that I must have air in the system so I cycled the deck up and down control several times, shut the tractor down and let things settle out.  I repeated the process a few times and still no forward or reverse.  I did discover that when selecting forward or reverse with the raise or lower handle in either position and holding it in either position, I once again a able to go forward or reverse but when putting the raise or lower handle in the neutral position, its like I loose all pressure to the transmission. 

This has me pretty much at a loss and if anyone has any info on this issue, your assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 03:13 AM

I have absolutely no experience with your tractor brand but it sounds like either you have some lines hooked up incorectly. without a picture of the setup and a schematic of how the hydraulics were originally run I couldnt be certain if I am even in the ballpark. The reason I would say lines is if your raise lower valve is in a movement position the fluid is flowing through the cylinder and then most likely bypassing to the trans and this does not happen in a correct hydraulic setup that I have seen.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:29 AM

Welcome to GTT. Is that a Gilson made tractor? Check our Manuals Section for the manuals that you need. I agree with Eric (above) but, also add that you may have the linkage out of adjustment. The manual should help you figure it out. Good Luck, Rick

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Air in the tranny can be a real booger to get out.
Another possibility might be the tow valve has been opened?

Anyways, lots of guys have marveled at how hard it is to get all the air out. And don't forget to keep topping it off as you purge.
  • smilenbob said thank you

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 07:54 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#6 smilenbob OFFLINE  

smilenbob
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 11:15 PM

20160601_203816.jpg 20160601_203816.jpg 20160601_203824.jpg 20160601_203909.jpg 20160601_203919.jpg 20160601_203939.jpg 20160601_204922.jpg Thanks everyone for the help.  Finally got my beast up and running. 

After checking to make certain that I did not get the hoses crossed (switched them around to check) and didn't get no response from either the lift up or down or any movement from the trans, so put them back and checked the fluid level, which was still full.  So back to the drawing board I went.  Decided that I would take another approach, if the pump was not getting a good prime, I would go right to the source.  There is a poppet port on the top of the pump, which I opened up and would slowly fill with fluid, while pulling the manual release bail for towing.  It was a slow process so jacked up the back end of the tractor enough to get some rotation on one of the tires.  Rotating the tire would turn the pump pistons and suck in fluid but had to be careful not to suck in more air.  Did this until I basically couldn't get it to suck in more fluid.  Put the poppet and spring back in place and tightened the plug up and fired the beast up, crossed my fingers and put it in reverse and away I went and just to make sure it was good to go gave it full throttle and took it for a victory lap, making sure that it would keep going even while raising and lowering my deck.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 smilenbob OFFLINE  

smilenbob
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 11:32 PM

20160601_204922.jpg Here is a clearer pic of the numbers found on the engine.  Now for another question, can anyone tell me what model and year I have?   Am hoping to put this in the garage this fall and get it all broke down and cleaned up but that's my plan, just have to see what my other half has in store for me...

Once again, thanks for the assistance.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 06:59 AM

Good news that you got it purged. Perserverence is often the answer.
Looks like a fairly complete tractor. :thumbs:

#9 smilenbob OFFLINE  

smilenbob
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 01:19 PM

The only thing I do not have pictured is the mower deck, didn't need it in the way while working on everything else. 

• MH81 said thank you

#10 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Your mw tractor appears to be a March 24 1972 Briggs & Stratton. Check out my attachment.

Attached Files

• smilenbob said thank you

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 05:26 PM

Your mw tractor appears to be a March 24 1972 Briggs & Stratton. Check out my attachment.

With your sheet, and his engine model number the engine would have a 110 or 230 volt gear drive starter with alternator.

• KennyP and ktznz have said thanks

#12 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:32 AM

With your sheet, and his engine model number the engine would have a 110 or 230 volt gear drive starter with alternator.

My mistake; I should have referred to the last line of my attachment, which displayed the birth date of the engine.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 08:16 AM

That's a Vickers hydro unit. Same as on an Allis 416H and others.