#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 09:28 AM

I hope to get outside today to look at my Model 1 Tiller. The tines won't turn, but everything else is turning. Something inside the chain drive housing must have failed. I went to Cub's site and printed out a parts diagram and list.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any pointers and/or gotcha's?

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 09:38 AM

You most likely sheared the key in one of the sprockets, I have not been inside a cub tiller, but all the other brands I have worked on, had a shear key to protect the gearbox from damage.
  • nra1ifer said thank you

#3 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 10:45 AM

Well, good. I hope that's an easy fix. Thanks for the pointer.

#4 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 864 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 03:51 PM

I'm having the same problem with my #2 tiller.I pulled it all apart last night and found that their is two tiny roll pins that hold the top sprocket in place.They were both sheared off.To me that is a little weak to take all that abuse!
Hope that helps
Paul

#5 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 05:40 PM

Same problem here (roll pins sheared), but mine was a real bear to take apart. All of the locking collars and all of the bearing sleeves had grown to their respective shafts. I'll have to clean everything up and order some new bearings. Hopefully they are not too expensive. Won't be a quick fix, but I have my trusty Troy-Bilt Horse to use otherwise. Not as effortless to use as the Cub's tiller, but it works great. I'm very impressed by how beefy this Cub tiller is built. The shear pins do seem kind of soft and easy to shear. Assuming there were no shear pins, I wonder if something else inside the chain housing would give way before the drive belt started slipping? Tiller is nicely built, but it's a lot of work to get into the chain housing, even if the bearing sleeves and locking collars had come off easily.

#6 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 12:34 AM

After a long time off, I finally have gotten back to working on my tiller. One last stubborn piece.... one of the tine assemblies had grown to the shaft. Over the last year or so I'd try to get it apart to no avail. I finally ran across an automotive shop that took it apart for me for $10. They had a pretty stout pulling tool, similar to a gear puller but something I had never seen. It worked, and the shop owner agreed that it was really stuck! Anyway, I ordered 5 new bearings ($160 for the set), and now I'm ready to finish some simple disassembly and cleaning, then start putting this tiller back together. This won't be a show room rebilud, butit will look good and be useable again. I've really missed it AND my Cub 123. It has sat idle too long!!

Meanwhile, we had some very violent weather roll through here a few nights ago and it blew down a 35-40 foot section of my 8' privacy fence. Six 4x6 treated fence posts, that were not in bad shape at all, were snapped off at ground level. Got the materials tonight to start fixing that in the morning. Should have that finished Friday. After some time off for Memorial Day weekend, I'll be off for a week. Hopefully can get the tiller back together and useful. The garden really needs attention after all of the rain we've had.

• twostep said thank you

#7 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:51 AM

Well, it took all day today, but I finally got my tiller back together and tested it out in the garden for over an hour. Major sense of accomplishment, and it works like a charm!!! It sure is good to have it back in use! I'll need to give it a coat of paint sometime, but it still looks pretty decent, given all of the disassembly, grease, dirt, etc. I feel very fortunate to have found this 123/tiller/deck a few years ago in such good condition. Not a lot of rust to deal with, compared to some projects I've seen. It's pampered now, under cover in the shed when it's not being used. I used stainless hardware to put it back together. Glad I did. It will stay looking good for a long time. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. Still impressed with the heavy-duty design of this tiller! Not a project for the faint of heart, though.

( The Cub 123 needs some carburator/throttle maintenance. Seems like it's wayyy loose for some reason. Also needs the steering links replaced to tighten things up a bit. The tractor has been parked/idle for almost 2 years. Gave it some fresh, real gasoline, jump-started it. Began running in just a couple of cranks. I love these old Kohlers!! )

Edited by nra1ifer, June 01, 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 04:53 AM

Glad you have it working. Got any pics?

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:08 AM

Glad to hear the tiller is back up and working for you. My sister just got done re-painting the tiller for their 782D, she said it works very well and wanted it's looks to match it's performance.

Do you get the fence all fixed up? That's a lot of posts snapped off, are you in a clear area where straight-line winds can get at you?

#10 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Glad you have it working. Got any pics?

I'll get some posted today.

Did you survive the storms last night, Kenny?

#11 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Glad to hear the tiller is back up and working for you. My sister just got done re-painting the tiller for their 782D, she said it works very well and wanted it's looks to match it's performance.

Do you get the fence all fixed up? That's a lot of posts snapped off, are you in a clear area where straight-line winds can get at you?

I was able to get the fence fixed on the Thursday and Friday before Memorial Day. Two busy days of hard work. Thursday was spent getting the remains of the posts and concrete dug out, then "planted" the new posts in new concrete. 12' 4" x 6" sopping wet treated posts get pretty heavy!  Friday, I got the panels attached. It all went nicely. In all, there were eight 8' x 8' sections. Glad that project is done! Finally got to meet the neighbors on the other side of the fence. Nice folks, and 4 kids. Talked myself into looking at the guy's push mower that he said wouldn't run. Amounted to a good cleaning, draining the stale eth-gas. cleaning the carb, and changing the oil. He's lucky the motor didn't destroy itself: what I drained out of the crank case was at best a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of oil and gasoline! Thin as water! I think someone "helped" him the last time they mowed.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#12 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Here is a picture of the tiller on the 123. Not an action shot, but after all of the action, in the shed. And, a picture of the great work this tiller does.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF3889.JPG
  • DSCF3894.JPG

• LTD and twostep have said thanks

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 07:21 AM

Good looking tiller, thanks for sharing!