• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Skid1Gar OFFLINE  

Skid1Gar
  • Member No: 83366
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 05:42 PM

Is there a what fits what section here for the 318?

#32 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 08:02 PM

So I decided to trade my Ariens Gt20 for this 318. After tuning it up and mowing the yard - I can say I really like the 318! I like the mower deck better, turning radius is better and the hydro control on the dash is very comfortable. The ariens started better and ran smoother - but the Onan Is good as well and sounds great. The ariens Gt20 is great - the 318 is better. I look forward to using the three point hitch. Thanks again for all your great info.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Alc, hdg4400 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#33 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 09:24 PM

Yes! Another "green" convert..... :D 

You will like your 318....power steering is a nice feature. My 318 is my go to mower

Edited by Delmar, June 09, 2016 - 08:48 AM.

• tom tractor said thank you

#34 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 04:38 AM

Up to this point I have tried (with the confusion of my wife) ...crappy Toro, Case big wheel, wheel horse 120, 312H, John Deere 140, Ariens Gt20, power king - Jim dandy and obviously now the JD 318. They all are cool and have good qualities. All different. I'm sure next year I'll try something new again? Anyone else going through the portfolio of top garden tractors?

Edited by tom tractor, June 09, 2016 - 02:17 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#35 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 04:39 AM

I'm trying to own them all at once haha.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
  • Alc said thank you

#36 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 04:50 AM

So far I haven't felt the urge to switch brands. I just keep adding attachments.
  • Alc and Delmar have said thanks

#37 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 05:12 AM

Tom Tractor , you and I are sure opposites lol After the neighbor let me try his 318 in 1986 I went out the next week and bought a used 1983 318 . Been my mowing machine now 30 years . Hope you have as good luck as I've had
  • tom tractor said thank you

#38 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 05:25 AM

I use a 420 which is the big brother to the 318. Pretty much the same machine just bigger. I love the thing and wouldn't think of mowing with something else. I'm not even a true JD guy since that's the only one I own.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
  • Alc and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#39 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 11:29 AM

I have a 420 also, with the five foot deck it is a mowing monster, I've even used the diff lock to mow across a bank with it. Was a lot easier and faster then using a push mower.

#40 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 09:43 AM

I am getting tired of the whole Onan parts are rare or high doller.  GO price OEM Kohler parts, they are right up there with Onan.  Onan was, I repeat, "was" higher when Cummins, who owns the rights to the Onan line of engines was the sole source for parts.  But 2 years ago they released the rights to the older B and P series engines to the aftermarket.  Its just taking time for that to catch up.  Some of the older B series like a BF used in Sears and Case are hard to find certain parts for like std piston heads and rods.  An Onan does cost a bit more to overhaul, but its like overhauling a high performance car over a sedan.  Its going to cost a bit more.  The Onan was a high performance engine designed for generator applications, then adapted to other uses.  I will take my P218 Onan over any of the repower kits used in a 318.  She makes her rated torque at a much lower rpm than anything else.  So when I pull her down in high grass, I still have the full 18hp of torque in a much broader range of RPM.  She will run circles around the Kohler Mag 18, which would be the prime compitition of its day.  Do not be scared of the Onan engine.  Use the correct oil, currently 15w40 CJ rated oil is what is recommended in the older Onan engines, keep the front of the cylinder jugs clean(and thats for any air cooled engine!) and adjust the valves every 200-250 hours by the book.  Valves out of adjustment is the primary cause for broken rods, popped valve seats on the Onan engine.  The gap closes up over time, this starts holding valve(s) open.  This hurts the valve seats ablity to cool itself properly, and hurts the compression ratio on that cylinder.  Get it enough out of tollerance from the other side and you have an engine out of balance.  The rods do not tollerate this for very long, nor do the valve seats(espicaly in the larger bore 20hp).  With proper care and upkeep, an Onan is good for 2000-4000 hours between overhauls.  Now thats with proper upkeep from the day its new, which we know never happens.  So once you spend the $$ to overhaul it, take care of it and it will last your life time normaly.     Mike

• Alc and dropped82 have said thanks