• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 339 Thanks
  • 244 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 04:56 PM

I posted before that my Ford YT16H did not pull like it should. I replaced the drive belt once and it seemed to help for a short time. Then it got to the point where the machine would barely go forward, and would not back up. Then I unintentionally mowed with it for 30-45 minutes with the transmission "disengaged". The next time I used it I was surprised to find that it worked great and pulls as it should. I'm not recommending anyone else use theirs with the trans disengaged , but it worked for me. I'm guessing it purged the air out?

• propane1 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,411 Thanks
  • 7,055 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Ummm!  How could trans be disengaged and you could still drive it?? Have to S'plain that one to me!

• KennyP, boyscout862, crittersf1 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 730 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:27 PM

Ummm!  How could trans be disengaged and you could still drive it?? Have to S'plain that one to me!

Its the same thing as driving around in neutral with a manual.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,933 Thanks
  • 29,284 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:50 PM

The bypass on many of these trannies are for allowing the fluid to bypass while pushing the unit, they may not be able to bypass ALL the fluid a pump could provide and if he was having issues previously... It may have not been as noticeable as one might think.

Don't discount the possibility that there could've been particulate contamination in the bypass and you flushed it out.
  • Alc said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 7,304 Thanks
  • 5,160 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 07:17 AM

Its the same thing as driving around in neutral with a manual.

Guess I am thick headed.  Never in my life seen a manual transmission that was in neutral and would still drive - unless it was -30° F and you were pulling it to start it.

Edited by chieffan, June 01, 2016 - 07:18 AM.

#6 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 339 Thanks
  • 244 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 10:34 AM

I haven't tried it since it started working well, but before being engaged or disengaged didn't make any difference when I tried to roll the mower not running. The transmission might not have actually been fully engaging before. It works well now.

• Cvans said thank you

#7 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 339 Thanks
  • 244 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 04:46 PM

Although I may avoid anything with a hydrostat transmission from now on, I would like to find a spare like mine just to disassemble and see what's inside and how it works. Inquiring minds gotta know.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,227 Thanks
  • 5,441 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 05:16 PM

Guess I am thick headed.  Never in my life seen a manual transmission that was in neutral and would still drive - unless it was -30° F and you were pulling it to start it.
  :ditto:  :iagree:
However when it is really cold outside my 850 Ford will move in neutral when you let the clutch. You sure aren't going to drive it around though. 

Edited by Cvans, June 02, 2016 - 05:19 PM.