• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dodgedh2 OFFLINE  

dodgedh2

• Member No: 1678
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 09:09 AM

I need electrical help on my MW Gilson. It's a 16 Hydrostatic w/electric PTO. I fried the diode in the wiring harness and need to know where to get a replacement and which direction to wire it in. Can anyone steer me toward a source and possibly a wiring diagram? Can it be rewired to eliminate it?

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 10:20 AM

Welcome to the site dodgedh2, Wher is the diod located at in the harness? Can you take a picture of the harness on the tractor?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 10:38 AM

If you have to use a diode you can get them at RadioShack. They usually have a pretty good supply of them. I used to know how to tell which direction to wire them, they are usually black on one end or have some sort of markings on one end.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 12, 2011 - 02:44 PM

Most of the ones that will handle the current that a charging system will put out are black with a silver stripe around one end. If you have the diagram of the diode in the circuit, the stripe on the end of the diode will go in the same place as the bar across one end of the schematic symbol (the one that looks like it's balancing on the point of the triangle). Without seeing the schematic, I cant help you with how to put it in though. BTW the largest current capacity that Radio Shack had in the store the last time I was there was a 4 amp. If you have a higher current charging system, you may have to order one from their on line store.

#5 dodgedh2 OFFLINE  

dodgedh2

• Member No: 1678
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm still looing for a wiing diagram for my model, so I can be sure to correctly orient the diode (totally burned).

#6 k9yli OFFLINE  

k9yli

• Member No: 5475
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 02:28 PM

well you maybe can get a 25 or 50 amp diode bridge.. its a square shape, abut inch and half and 1/4 inch thick.
marked with 2 squiggle lines (the AC input and + and - for the output..)
the post marked + is the cathode end of the diodes. - is the anode end.. or in the schematic for diodes.

its a -----|>|--------- cathode is the pointy end of the > or as us techno geeks say think of a

K for cathode with a (plate) accross the legs.. -----K|------- k would be the + side.
cathode end is marked with ring of color. thats the + side on the schematic/wireing diagram..

using just 2 contacts on a dioed bridge will give you 2 diodes in series and 2 in parallel..
or you can use just one by wireing + to one of the ~ pins... pluss still being the cathode.

anode side toward the battery allows conduction.. cathode side toweard the battery blocks current in that direction.

don ----- bruce wis
  • ducky said thank you

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 02:59 PM

well you maybe can get a 25 or 50 amp diode bridge.. its a square shape, abut inch and half and 1/4 inch thick.
marked with 2 squiggle lines (the AC input and + and - for the output..)
the post marked + is the cathode end of the diodes. - is the anode end.. or in the schematic for diodes.

its a -----|>|--------- cathode is the pointy end of the > or as us techno geeks say think of a

K for cathode with a (plate) accross the legs.. -----K|------- k would be the + side.
cathode end is marked with ring of color. thats the + side on the schematic/wireing diagram..

using just 2 contacts on a dioed bridge will give you 2 diodes in series and 2 in parallel..
or you can use just one by wireing + to one of the ~ pins... pluss still being the cathode.

anode side toward the battery allows conduction.. cathode side toweard the battery blocks current in that direction.

don ----- bruce wis

Thks Don, Good info

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 05:19 PM

The last Diode I had to replace on a lawn tractor came out of an old Computer monitor.The older Computer monitors are loaded with alot of high voltage circuitry.
I used to have a couple boxes of random circuit boards stuffed in the attic but I needed the space so they went bye bye.

I wish I wouldn't have tossed the stuff.I have 2 sick tractors here I'm fixing that have bad diodes.

Both of these tractors charge the battery but drain them stone dead if they sit.The Diodes allow current in 1 direction only and if they go bad it will allow current to pass back through the coiled wire of the stator and act like a stalled electric motor.

My older Gilsons (early to mid 70s) all had a dual charging system.One was for the headlights Only and the other was for charging of the battery.The wire colors were Orange to the headlights and Grey to the battery.The headlight system was a light 3 amp and I THINK 6 amp to the battery.I know if you hook them up wrong it will drain the battery.There isn't a Diode on the 3 amp side.