Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,597 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 10:15 PM

Part of the rental agreement for this place is I spray the thistles on the entire farm which is 100 acres. 

I been using my tractor show butt-buggy, pulling my home built sprayer trailer.  It was a comfortable ride with its golf cart seat and its own shade canopy.   Last year it rained every other day for months on end.  The cows basically ripped up the pasture, walking around to find something to eat.  The butt-buggy's  6X12 turf tires get stuck now often and the ride is rough to say the least.  I could use the four wheeler with much more traction and softer tires but it doesn't like creeping around at a slow speed.  Not a liquid cooled model, the 4 wheeler gets hot quick.

This spring the co-ops floater actually got stuck while fertilizing the pasture!  I think an underground spring has found its way to the surface and the millions of pockets [hoof prints] hold water causing more problems. 

Here is my spray rig.  Been using this for many years.  It has an on-demand, 12 volt pump and a spray wand.  You can see the mud on the rims where I had just been stuck.

Sprayer.jpg

Nearly 15 years ago I got this piece of shipping crate out of the city dump thinking I'd someday make a carryall for my Power King 2418's 3 point hitch.  Well,  I have since bought a 1614 PK and I like it MUCH better.  The 1614 has a drawbar style hitch but it is hydraulic lift so I made the carryall to mount on it.   I designed the carryall to where I just back up to it and drop in the hitch pin. Raise the lift and go.  Turned out way easier than mounting a 3 point implement.

Here is the 1/2 shipping crate.

caryall 01.jpg

The size was perfect for the PK. All I had to do was weld on a hitch, brace it up some, and cut plywood for the floor.

caryall 1.jpg ,caryall 2.jpg

With minimal time and no money [except I had to buy some mig wire]  I now have a spray rig that has bigger tires with ag tread, more ground clearance, and much more weight.

Not real happy with the limited travel of the lift,  the carryall doesn't go high enough.  I have some serious ditches to cross so there may be trouble there.  I can play with the lift linkage later - as needed.

caryall 3.jpg ,caryall 4.jpg

As the sprayer has its own framework, I just unbolted it from the trailer and have it sitting on the carryall for now. Once bolted down it'll be ready to use again. 

The trailer had such a short tongue the tractors tires would get into the business [pump and hoses] on sharp turns and especially when I'd get stuck.  Usual procedure was to shift into reverse and get off the tractor to help pull backwards from behind the trailer.  When the rig got free of the mud it'd jackknife the trailer before I could get the tractor shut down.  That usually meant ripping the hose off the pump and a quick repair before progress could resume.  

The PK is so heavy that IF I get it stuck it'll be a long walk to the house to get the big tractor but I hope to not get stuck anymore. 

Don't laugh at the pressboard.  It was handy and nearly the correct size.  Only had to rip 2" off one side and it fit perfect.  I know it won't last long but it'll work for this year.   I weigh nearly 100 pounds more than the tank loaded [25 gallon] and I was able to jump up and down on the carryall with no problems.  I feel it should take the beating of rough ground with a full load.

Edited by Gtractor, May 30, 2016 - 10:21 PM.

• Alc, hamman, wvbuzzmaster and 7 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 10:24 PM

Looks great Kris.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 11:16 PM

Holy cow a Dodge Rampage? Haven't seen one of those in years. I like your style Sir :) :thumbs:

• Gtractor, jpackard56, michael.kitko and 1 other said thanks

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 11:17 PM

Looks good! I'd be lucky to find it after 15 years.

• Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#5 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 258 Thanks
  • 290 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 04:19 AM

Nice good use of a pick find

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 05:15 AM

Nice big carryall!

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 06:49 AM

Not only is it a carry-all, it's a carry LOTS.
Nice big surface, looks good.
Hope you figure out how to gain that ground clearance back.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Looks good Kris.  Is the lifting problem due to the short rise of the lift arms or the attachment point?  You probably won't want anything on the carry all you can't lift so I would mount the lift pins at the very bottom of the frame to get maximum clearance.

Have mine on the back of the 4 wheeler which has a Hi-Lo range with oil cooler.  Has a heat indicator light which work but have never seen in on other than starting.  Have had one 24 hour period that we have not had rain.  Getting sick and tired of it.  White clover is taking over the lawn and don't quit raining long enough to get it treated.  Have to use dry and to many flower to try spraying.  I am very cautious where I spray now as I feel a shot gun barrel sticking around every building !  Take care and catch you later.

Edited by chieffan, May 31, 2016 - 07:32 AM.

• Gtractor and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 11:13 AM

Nice all purpose rig also. Like mentioned on the hitch pins mounting them low as possible to get the highest lift. Ditto on the Rampage...like it.

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,597 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 02:15 AM

Well,  been over the place 3 times spraying so far and got along great but we've had nearly 7 and 1/2 inches of rain in the last 15 days.  I was bound to get stuck and yesterday I did.  Had to cross a pond overflow and the carryall not being high enough hung me up.  Both back tires found holes at the same time and there I sat. 

I've adjusted the hitch linkage for maximum travel but there just isn't much.  Tractor is slightly light on the front with a full load but not bad.   There are wheel weights both inside and outside on the front wheels.  Traction is not a problem in the sloppiest of mud - until the carryall drags the ground.   Guess I'll just have to deal with it.    The Ferguson yanked out the PK without even straining an ovary.  I just didn't like the walk back to the house to get reinforcements.

PK stuck 1.jpg ,PK stuck 2.jpg

• DougT, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 06:43 AM

Looks like a good place for a culvert.
Sorry about the walk. On the upside, you can tell you Dr you got your exercise.
  • Gtractor and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks