• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 08:10 PM

not sure where these fit in, GT?  "lawn mower" or where.... I rarely see anyone talking about the old front deck 3 wheeled yazoo's/

I went to an auction today, one of my co workers (more than one, actually) is an auctioneer on the side.

Since I transferred to this garage location (I work as a fleet mechanic for the state I live in) I have run into way more people that I have known for years from the auction world that I had no idea what their day job was.... an auctioneer, and the brother of another auctioneer whose sales I frequent work in my same building/ and yet a 3rd one that works for IDOT, that I see when ever his State issued truck is due for service....

I went to try to buy a Troy Bilt Horse to replace the one that was stolen from me a year and a half ago/ but was only interested in it if the guys around me were "sleeping" when it came up..... It sold for less than I see them going for on CL these days, but more than I am able to spend out of this paycheck for such things......

so instead I caught them sleeping on the Yazoo that was right next to the Troy, very next item up for bid...

it is a 48" version (most I see are the larger 60-ish" version)  16HP cast iron single cyl briggs, I couldn't make out the numbers on the shroud to ID an approx. year as the sticker was mostly there but it was as if someone tried to scratch out the engine numbers at one time. No rust anywhere else on the shroud. Though the ID decal on the mower was there and totally legible. Given the family that the sale was "for", runs a locally well known string of funeral homes I have no doubts about the fact that it is NOT a stolen unit.... 

judging by the embossed "B over S" on the shroud to the left of the flywheel screen, I'd guess this to be a 1960's unit.... will clean up that "numbers part" of the shroud once I get it home nd then I will know for sure. 

I got a couple of extra starter/gens, an extra spindle and bearings, 2 extra (brand new) tire tubes, and an extra seat (OK, but not great)  I didn't try to start it but it was claimed to run and had been "serviced" earlier that week. Oil was clean, motor isn't full of sludge and crap, yet it hasn't been power washed to "hide" that given the thick layer of hay left on the deck.  Battery is a very new looking NAPA car battery. If they paid for the "service" rather  than doing it themselves,  I'm guessing it cost them at least what I paid for the whole machine, if not more.

I really do not need it, but really got it for basically scrap price/ I just could not let it go for that.... I have just the guy in mind that could really use such a mower. 

IDK what they used as a trigger but someone in the past added a Bosch Blue 12V  coil like the Cub Cadet pullers like to use, instead of the typical flywheel mounted Briggs coil..... that should prove interesting when I investigate how they did that.....

So would these fit under the GT category? or LT, or "just a lawn mower" being as how it is a single purpose machine... not like Grasshoppers that you could get a beater brush, plow or snow blower for, at one time

It is a 3 wheeled mower, with the 3rd wheel (the steering one) under the operator's seat. That should prove weird to operate, at least at first....

now why can't I find a good runnable Kohler (K 301 or larger) or magnum twin for anywhere near what I paid for this whole machine, including its engine?

I did not bring my trailer because I was not figuring on buying such a monstrosity (didn't even see it listed in the auction flyer) I figured if I'd bought that tiller, like I went there for, it would fit just in the bed of the Dakota. but this sure won't.... so I will go get it one day after work.

Edited by dodge trucker, May 30, 2016 - 08:11 PM.

• MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Those are weird rigs in most times I have seen them. So.....where's the pictures???  I drive fork-truck, bet would feel OK for me on one, not sure.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 09:07 PM

You're on quite the roll this year, Don. Good thing I don't live closer, I'd be over every month trying to pry some of these deals out of your hands and onto my trailer.

Does it have the basement window ventilator deck?

yazoo-mower-parts-diagram.jpg

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 10:48 PM

nope, the deck is enclosed except for a baseball sized area on the right side, discharge (weird) is to the left...

On the "deals" thing, you must have me confused with someone else.... I have made a few, but whether they were "good" remains to be seen..... the trade I made a couple months ago, the jury is definitely still out there....parts and attachments specific to the respective brands are harder to find for the one that I got than for the one that I gave up to get it,  but then again life has thrown me some curve balls that have kept me pretty much completely away from it, please don't ask about that.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 10:51 PM

but back to the whole "where does the Yazoo fit in the world of tractors/mowers" thing....

also how hard are parts to find for them??? Blades, belts, sprockets, that sort of thing....

anyone ever hear of converting a cast iron Briggs to battery ignition much like K series Kohlers run? Would this be that "point saver" deal or what?

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 11:23 PM

Most of those big Briggs had the points on the outside of the block. Converting it would be fairly easy. Depends on the model of engine. If it had the magnamatic ignition it would make a lot of sense. They could be troublesome.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 05:59 AM

Most of those big Briggs had the points on the outside of the block. Converting it would be fairly easy. Depends on the model of engine. If it had the magnamatic ignition it would make a lot of sense. They could be troublesome.

yeah I have worked on a couple over the years including a Suburban SS15 (IDK why they "De-rated" that motor in that application to 15 instead of 16 hp) on which someone had tried a Magnetron swap and then could never get it to run again,  that was one of those engines that had the "backwards polarity" flywheel magnets whose flywheel had to be sent back to Briggs to have the polarity reversed for Magnetron to work.... this one would be the same situation.  

Edited by dodge trucker, May 31, 2016 - 05:59 AM.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 12:16 PM

it is the old cast iron 320000 series, cast iron, I believe that it is the most recent version of a cast iron block engine that Briggs made. And yeah I think it does have the Magna matic setup. I don't yet have it home to check that out yet. I wasn't expecting to buy a mower when I went to the auction so I didn't drag the trailer with me.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 06:01 PM

My 1st father-in-law had a Yazoo, and he is the only person I ever heard of that destroyed one!

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:13 PM

so, how hard are parts to find? How much is "universal"?  things like belts, blades, spindle bearings etc?  or are these parts "yazoo specific" and impossible to get???

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 07:04 PM

It's home... and yeah it runs... started right up w/a jump.  Weird to operate with the rear tire controlling steering.

Looks like carb was recently gone thru.

Model YR48   engine numbers.... 326134  0151-01  760218( or 9?)1

once the jumper cables are connected it fires right up, don't seem like it spins over more than 1 turn on the starter gen and it's running....

uh oh Houston there is a problem... trans was empty,  went to try "low" forward speed and now cannot get it to move forward at all in high or low, goes backward fine,

tried to adjust the forward clutch and dropped the lock clip that holds the adjustment, within the trans.... drained out the 3-1/2 qts of fresh oil I just put in and it was awful "glittery" but no clutch adjustment came out with the oil.... great, where would I find one of those? may wind up being an "engine donor" for something else, not sure at this point.

Edited by dodge trucker, June 02, 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 05:06 PM

well/ transmissions and their parts seem to be made of unobtanium  so I guess this machine is meant to be an engine donor for something else....I cannot find transmission parts or clutches (which are within the trans) anywhere.....

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 18, 2016 - 09:24 PM

the engine has been pirated, rest of machine went to junkyard this morning because of trans issues....  engine listed for sale in ads section. great running.