• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • Member No: 49949
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 01:10 PM

Well I know it's been way to long since my last post so here goes with my next project.

Sleeve hitch box scrapper/blade to install on my Cub sleeve hitch, project is starting out with a 42" front blade off some unknown tractor a buddy of mine gave me a few years ago to use for this project. Been sitting outside since then just waiting. I wanted to use a blade as it was already setup for a replaceable cutting edge. My plan is to just use regular 3/16 or 1/4" flat stock as a replacement cutting edge if it ever needs replacing.

I was going to add some features to adjust the pitch of the blade, I'm forgoing that in this build as I need the blade asap so for right now it will be adjusted with the pivot points on my tractor's lower attachment points and my second design if there is one will take what I learn from this project in mind if I need to.

blade.jpg blade-1.jpg

I decided 10" high would be about what I was looking for so here is my cutting line

blade-2.jpg

Figured today was a good day to start cutting before the sun came over my house and took away all my shade at my garage, can't use the plasma cutter in my garage as I really really like to have a place to live, so all cutting is done outside.

Setting up for making my cut

cutting.jpg

After the cut

cutting-1.jpg

Cutting off the rear blade supports

cutting-2.jpg

I had to free-hand the supports which worked out quite well, keep in mind I have never used a plasma cutter or torch prior to last weekend so I have some to learn yet. I have found the best way to learn is to just dig right in and build something, no sense messing around with scrap and practicing.  :D  The plasma makes this a "non-chore" compared to using the cut-off wheels in a die or 4" grinder!

I have to find some flat steel for the sides, a quick dig in my pile didn't show anything in the size I need so I will have to run and get some one day this week . . .

• Gtractor, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 6 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 01:25 PM

Nice work. I have an old Ford sleeve hitch grader blade that came with my LGT145. The original owner added rough cut 2" x 10" blocks on each side to make it into a box scraper. He added an angle iron and cultivator teeth in front to loosen the soil. I've never tried it. I have an Earthcavator for my AC B10 and it works great so, the other things aren't used. In among my stuff is a home made sleeve hitch grader that used a piece of a cutting edge from a big plow truck. He welded old bolts to the bottom to loosen the surface. Maybe these can give you an idea to save time. Good Luck, Rick
  • KennyP, Brucepts and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 03:00 PM

Looks like you are on your way! Try to get the sides about 12" deep. Makes for a fair amount of soil/debris to move.

• Brucepts said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 04:54 PM

I went out (because the rain stopped) and took a few pics.

SD530964.JPG SD530965.JPG SD530966.JPG SD530967.JPG

The first one is a homemade mid blade. The second is a home made rear blade for a Simplicity. The third and forth are of the modified Ford rear grader. Good Luck, Rick
  • TheFarm2004, CRFarnsworth, Brucepts and 1 other said thanks

#5 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 06:36 PM

Looks like you are on your way! Try to get the sides about 12" deep. Makes for a fair amount of soil/debris to move.

I was laying out the side this afternoon in cardboard and was at 10" from the cutting edge, will add 2" more and see what it looks like, thanks!

I went out (because the rain stopped) and took a few pics.

The first one is a homemade mid blade. The second is a home made rear blade for a Simplicity. The third and forth are of the modified Ford rear grader. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks, would have loved to find an Earthcavator one of those things I should have bought years ago when they were alot less expensive than now.

Thanks for the pics always worth a look for ideas!

• KennyP, boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#6 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Will this be an entire new implement or is it going to be an add on to the ripper bar? I am thinking of building a rear blade as well, so I will be watching to see how you do it. The ripper bar you built looks great.

Jim

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 09:12 PM

For right now 2 different implements but, I have a thought on possibly adding the shanks to this box blade at some point though.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 09:15 PM

I made a box from a blade and is on here somewhere, maybe a search will find it?  Use my name??  I never find things myself after a few weeks, not sure how others get to it so fast. I was always gonna try to shorten my sides to have blade edge be longer and dig down better, never got back to it. I also bought some commercial teeth from AGS Ag Supply, for only $12.00 or so a piece, had to buy pins extra, but they worked well. Think rural king shows them too on-line, but mine didn't have in store when looking.

• Sawdust and Brucepts have said thanks

#9 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Got a little work done today, cut the side panels and some strips out of a sheet of 11ga plate. Tack welded the sides so I can figure out a hitch and it's height.

I'm going to get this box blade up and working so I can use it to finish off my landscaping project, learn from building and using it and then at some point build a more elaborate (or not) box blade incorporating some ripper shanks. More than likely home made like the ones KennyP built for his box blade

Did I mention I love my plasma cutter??? :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• cutting-3.jpg
  • welding.jpg
  • welding-1.jpg

• TheFarm2004, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 05:08 AM

Looking good!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 05:39 PM

I spent the better part of the day waiting around for someone to stop by to look at my Bolens tractors I am selling and he never showed up so I had plenty of shop time to get some welding done and go out and play in the dirt. (sorry no dirt pics today)

I still have to do some grinding on cleaning up the cutoff parts and I want to add a lip on the sides and rear at the top with some flat stock, also plan on adding a doubler on the lower edge of the side plates for added wear protection. I also plan on adding a "push edge" on the back of the blade at some point along with some ripper shanks.

I set it up to use the middle hole on my rear hitch so I can run it the blade flat, pitched up or down by changing to the upper or lower hole.

I am quite pleased with how well it works moving dirt!

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• welding-2.jpg
  • welding-3.jpg
  • welding-4.jpg
  • welding-5.jpg
  • welding-6.jpg

• coldone, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Came out nice. Like you I don't spend much time practicing I like to jump right in right or wrong. Now I want a plasma cutter lol.
  • boyscout862 and michael.kitko have said thanks

#13 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 08:05 PM

Came out nice. Like you I don't spend much time practicing I like to jump right in right or wrong. Now I want a plasma cutter lol.

I always dreaded having to cut the material needed to do these projects so they never got done, I have a 4x6" bandsaw so cutting flat, angle, tube etc was not an issue. The plasma cutter changed all that! Now I'm looking for more projects :thumbs:

Get a "pilot arc" model so you can use it on rusty and painted material, they cost more. So far I am quite happy with my plasma purchase and it allowing me to get some things built. 

I was watching a You Tube video last evening of a Compact John Deere owner who made a rack/cart to store all his attachments and got thinking of another project to store the Winter tools all in one place in my shed . . . hummmm

• KennyP, michael.kitko and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:33 PM

Spent Saturday afternoon playing in the dusty dirt with my new attachments.

dirt.jpg

Some of my thoughts post "dirt playing"

I love the box blade! I have never used one before on a tractor but I'm quite pleased with what it can do to move dirt! I had to swap the ripper back on to loosen up some high hard spots so I could level them out.

1) I added 2 JD 45lb suit case weights to the back of the blade so it would dig in and not bounce, have to work on the down pressure, to much slop in the pivot points. Removed weight for final grading so it would float.

2) Blade needs ripper shanks! Swapping attachments was not that big of an issue but it would be nice to just lower rippers instead of removing and installing another attachment. In hindsight I should have just built the blade first and added some shanks to it and not built the separate ripper attachment.

3) Going to add a rear blade for pushing, using the idea of a hinged blade so it floats in forward operation.

4) Adding a better setup to hold the added weight, probably add a doubler to the top of the blade so they are not just hanging from the thin metal and a way to keep them from sliding side to side.

Attached Thumbnails

• weights.jpg

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 12, 2016 - 03:12 PM

Glad you got to work it some! I love my BB. It's pretty heavy, so I don't have to add extra weight. I have the rear blade on hinges and it does a good job.

• boyscout862 and Brucepts have said thanks