• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 12:10 PM

Mtd144 tiller/cultivator. 4 stroke/cycle. Any body know anything about these @$(&@$$;$& things. Not my favorite thing to work on. Did start, but only run with choke partly on then quit, know won't start at all. Any ideas or tips, other than throwing it into the woods.

Thanks, Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• hamman, boyscout862 and sallyge11 have said thanks

#2 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 12:31 PM

Maybe set it in the front flower garden and the missus could plant flowers around it. Better than throwing in the woods where you could trip over it and hurt yourself.

Sorry, no idea what could be wrong other than a piece of junk in the fuel line,but I'm sure you have checked things like that already.
  • boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 12:43 PM

Trash in the carb,,pinhole in the fuel line.I have never had any luck with this type setup myself but I do wish you luck with this one.

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and propane1 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 01:14 PM

Flush the fuel system. These things sit so much that crap builds up in the little passages. I took a carb apart a month ago that had something in it that I still don't know what it was. It was a tan jelly like substance. I've only used Citgo gas and Marvel Mystery Oil in it for years. I bet if it wasn't for the MMO the stuff would have been hard and the carb corroded. I suspect that it was gas residual and water mixed. Try cleanning all your fuel system first. I like spray cans of carborator cleanner to blow out passages. Wear a full face shield when doing it. Good Luck, Rick

• propane1 and Auburn David have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 03:38 PM

It was a tan jelly like substance.

This is the result of the ethanol in fuel today.

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and propane1 have said thanks

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 04:34 PM

This is the result of the ethanol in fuel today.

I think someone put Jello in it!!

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 06:57 PM

IF, you have used ethanol gas check those small fuel lines they get soft and either collapse or leak air into the system. Until I started using non ethanol gas I was replacing the lines all the time, also I would get ill / discussed and flood the blasted thing pumping the bulb & choking it.

• propane1 said thank you

#8 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 11:07 PM

I have two cultivating tillers that I got in a trade. Both engines run good but both need carbs or carb rebuilds. The diaphragms are dry rotted in both. As others have said these things sit so much and the carbs and passages are so tiny,they get gummed and plugged up very easy. I needed at least cultivating tiller right now so I pulled the whole weed eater engine / head off of it and slid a ready to run weed eater head on and I have cultivated in the garden twice so far and need to do it again soon.

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:16 AM

I use nothing but ethanol gas and also use Sta-Bail with it.,  Have very few problems but this year two in a row. One on a 12 yo machine and the other on a trade in.  Put new carb on both for about $15 each and they run like new. Any machine, carb kit or fuel line  in the last 15 years is made for ethanol so I don't agree with that is the problem theory at all.  It is the base gas that has the problem and Sta-Bail takes care of that.

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 12:54 PM

Update on the @$&@)"@@ tiller/cultivator. I fooled with the thing for two hours. I pulled it over a hundred times and no start. Had the carb apart and cleaned what I could. Spark plug out. Looks ok. It has spark. Put alittle oil in cylinder to boost compression. Primed it in the cylinder with gas. Still no start. Today I took it to my small engine guy to see what he thinks. We talked about it for a few minutes and I suggested for him to pull it over to see what he thought about the compression. On the second pull it started. ????!!!!! I didn't know weather to be happy or mad. So we talked a little more , then I went home. I figured by the time I get home it wouldn't start again, that would be my luck, but any way, it started and I threw it deep into the ground and it worked fine. @$&¥><€%@$#%£¥ thing.

Noel
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 02:09 PM

Sometimes that's what it takes, just walking away from it a little while. It was probably flooded a bit, or the plug might have been too wet or you were not holding your tongue right.