5 replies to this topic

#1 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • Member No: 81957
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 11:09 AM

Some comments about this new mower.
Firstly it's clumsy making a turn. Somebody tell me why an inexpensive rider can't be built that mows well as it turns. We're not talking about a Monaco Formula 1 racer here, just a left/right u-turn with a smallish radius. That's not complicated, or is it?
Secondly it shares the same design I've seen on others (Sears Craftsman (had 2, a GT and an LT), John Deere (hated _that_ engine (B&S, I think)) and the Cub Cadet) that the deck height lever wants to de-knut me😨 because it's always in the way getting on and off.
This one (the Husqvarna) does not have those horrible grass catching spindle covers, hooray for small favors!
The deck has 2 blades and I choose that over 3 because it's two thirds the effort to keep two blades sharpish over three on a Florida sand-blasting lawn.
It does a nice even cut so I'm not missing that third blade. 3 blades being a sales point according to the dealer, see above remark.
No more nonsense about (head)lights on or off (who the H thought mowing at night was a good idea anyway?) nice big switch ON/OFF, done.
Wish I could lose that nanny "mustn't-try-mowing-in-reverse" switch position. I can see that rationale, some nitwit probably sliced off the boss's toe! But really.
Speaking of reverse somebody here noted that the reverse lever was much easier to operate with an extension on it and I _must_ look into that.
Mine was delivered with the steering wheel point left all the time. I popped it off, rotated it _one_ (and only one) notch right, set it back on, now it points right all the time😬. Gripe, whine, pizz, moan.
Another thing this shares with the late CC is lumpy traveling. At (ha!) speed going back and forth without mowing it rides like a tire or two, have a cleat on the tread outer circumference, lump-travel-lump-travel-... What's causing that?
Finally I'm puzzled about the deck height adjustment. Find myself mowing in the #3 (highest) position all the time. What's up with that? Are Husqvarna decks taller than most?
OK I've kvetched enough. Back to work and thanks for listening😀.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  • propane1 and sallyge11 have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 12:06 PM

Think those ARE made by AYP or whomever makes Sears stuff now.  Smaller wheels on newer tractors, feel all the bumps the big ones passed over. Even some bigger HP units have too small of wheels now days.  I like the bigger Husky's, don't care for any smaller ones. Have never owned, but look at them all the time when going into the stores around me. I think I would buy one if the little Deere died out anytime soon.  Those Briggs engines are fine. V-twin in smaller ones??  Those are in many brands of tractors and big ones too, be safe with those. Singles, not as familiar with.  Sometimes you just gotta get used to a brand's quirks and be happy, ha! 

#3 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 02:19 PM

Agree that quirks come with each line. Just😠
Come to think of it probably only 2, 3 at most, manufacturers at this price point regardless of the name. AYP, MTD and ??? For instance nearest Simplicity would be in Georgia, bit far to go to shop.
The Deere I had had a single cylinder some sort of better-than-the average-bear engine. But it suxed big time. Got rid of it sharpish.

#4 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 02:26 PM

I don't think the lump-travel-lump was just the wheels or the wheel size.
Would not be at all surprised to find the the tires are supposed to be mounted with a certain point on the carcass opposite the inflation stem, but aren't cause it would take an extra step at the assembly plant, 😠 also.
I have looked at the tire carcass, nothing was obvious and I do not have access to a tire balancing machine. Also lazy☺

#5 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 04:36 AM

So far the fuel window, set in the deck between the driver's feet has not shown anything. Either I'm not looking at it correctly or I'm keeping the tank full enough that the level never gets low enough to show up.
Seems like a loop of clear tubing in a protected place would be a better idea for a fuel gauge.

#6 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 04:42 AM

One more item: this mower is a YT42LS model.
OK, the "YT" means Yard Tractor? The 42 is the deck, 42 inches wide. And the LA is? Could that be Limited Slip?? Rather odd thing to have in flat Florida. The steepest slope around here is the drainage ditch sides or the Sptic Tank mounds!