More traction for snow

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 2broke2ride OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58083
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 10:31 AM

How can I cheaply get more traction for snow removal? I have a 1975 1614 with FEL. It has factory wheel weights with ag tires, someone before me welded 4"x6" solid steel bars the whole length of the loader frame plus I have a 30 gallon? Oil drum full of sand hanging off the 3pt hitch. The think does ok moving dirt in the summer but get it in the snow and forget it. It won't even move itself with the bucket up never mind push anything. I'm hesitant to spend $60 to$100 on tire chains or $100+ each on new tires to have the same dismal results so what do you all say? It cb4e3171254974dc599b57c658a4f342.jpg
  • propane1 said thank you

#2 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Tire chains in the snow and ice make a huge difference,especially with the V bars.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,457 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 11:26 AM

Tire chains are the most efficient traction devices. You should be able to find a set this summer real cheap. I picked up several sets for under $5 each two summmers ago. By a set of truck chains and just cut them down to fit. Learn the correct way to put them on and take them off. You don't need a jack nor do you need to take the wheels off. Good Luck, Rick

I would get the chains and then would be suspicious that you might have too much weight on it. How do the front tires look?

Edited by boyscout862, May 30, 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,466 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 12:14 PM

Need chains or NO GO on these. Best to have Turf tires and chains I think, so chain doesn't fall down into bars and not grab all the time.  Seems like quite a strain on your 3pt with that much weight in barrel.  I think I would make a more solid frame mount for that.  I see you have the BIG bucket on here, made for loose items, not real digging.  If you are picking up too much wet snow with big bucket, might be heavy out front.  I've never liked the loaders for snow removal, give me a blade anyday. They push like mad with blades. OR, they had blades that mount on loader in place of bucket and you can turn with controls then. Much nicer! Get the blade push, but able to push up and over the banks as they build in season.  I had one in summer and did some gravel leveling on drive. Sold before winter, so didn't get to try there, but others posted about liking theirs.  Should be postings to see in forums here on that blade set-up.  At least buy some chains, but keep in mind that when you spin on crete it makes marks! 

#5 olds45512 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 77943
  • 564 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 12:20 PM

Tire chains are the way to go, I run 2 link vbar chains on my cub and it's a tank.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,756 Thanks
  • 4,263 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 01:45 PM

They way to go is chains.  Go for a set of used ones this summer.  When you get them get 2 pair as you will need them.  Vehicle chains have a cross bar ever 4th side link.  For a GT you need a cross bar every other link so you have on under the tire all the time.

#7 2broke2ride OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58083
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 01:48 PM

Thanks guys, I guess I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for a set of tire chains.
I left the tractor outside of my garage last winter about four feet from the door, we got 6" of snow and I had to move it so I could get my four wheeler out to plow. It would not even move, ended up having to pull it into the garage with the four wheeler and a chain lol. The first year I had it it was my only means of snow removal. Got so stuck making the path to my chicken coop that I had to spend three hours shoveling and even then I had to use the bucket to push the tractor backwards 3 feet at time to get out of the backyard and back onto the driveway. No incline or anything just flat snow covered ground.

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,863 Thanks
  • 3,107 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 04:42 PM

Chains for sure. Maybe load tires, if they aren't loaded. Reduce air pressure in rear, and maybe a little more in the front, so they roll easier. Or screws in bar part of rear tire.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#9 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 718 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 04:59 PM

Need chains or NO GO on these. Best to have Turf tires and chains I think, so chain doesn't fall down into bars and not grab all the time.  

I agree 100% with the statement above I got AG tires on one of mine and turffys with chains on another one. I notice its the lift that the chain gives the tractor that keeps it from spinning around. when I put my chains on my AGs the chains were falling in the grove of the tire and I had to spin more. 

Turfs and chains gets my vote for winter. 

• Member No: 62466
  • 895 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 05:00 PM

Hi tire chains for sure, as posted forget the FEL and get a plow blade, I take my FEL off and have a plow blade and it works good you can really move snow with a blade, That FEL with the over sized bucket out front takes all the wt off the rear tires and makes the tractor a bear to steer, I have my rear tires ballasted with windshield washer fluid about 8 gals in each one and have a 100 lb wt on the 3 pt.