Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 04:49 PM

Rough day today, while mowing with RED the deck support link broke and the deck started dragging the ground. Went to the shop to get a strap so I could bring RED back. Link is NLA at Sears but I found one at another site and ordered it.
I was thinking of putting the deck on Hulk II to finish up the back yard, but I was hot and sweaty and didn't feel like the extra work. Old Girl was already wearing a deck, so she finished up the yard. First real time mowing with her. (Forgive the video, a hyper-active 10 year old on a trampoline recorded it) I am amazed how quiet the custom muffler is.
After cleaning both of them up. I will need to drop Old Girl's deck and tighten up the outer bearings, they have some play in them. I pulled about 30 lbs of clippings from under RED's deck. Wonder if that weight had anything to do with it. Greased them and blew all the clippings off.
I'll install Hulk II's deck this evening so He will pick up mowing till I get RED Fixed. 

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Attached Thumbnails

• P1160183.JPG
  • P1160184.JPG
  • P1160186.JPG
  • P1160187.JPG
  • P1160188.JPG
  • P1160190.JPG
  • P1160191.JPG

• Alc, skyrydr2 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:23 PM

That sure is a lot of grass to be carrying around. I don't think that broke it. It could have been compromised before in the past and the extra weight helped to do it in. Its nice to have back up equipment so you can just keep going. I am working on a deck now , man these things can be almost as much of a choir as a tractor. Make sure to get those bearings tighten up before you use it the vibration will make matters so much worse. looking at that bolt again wonder it the two jam nuts have been over torqued in the past and that weakened it. 

• larrybl said thank you

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:32 PM

That sure is a lot of grass to be carrying around. I don't think that broke it. It could have been compromised before in the past and the extra weight helped to do it in. Its nice to have back up equipment so you can just keep going. I am working on a deck now , man these things can be almost as much of a choir as a tractor. Make sure to get those bearings tighten up before you use it the vibration will make matters so much worse. looking at that bolt again wonder it the two jam nuts have been over torqued in the past and that weakened it. 

It has been like that for more than 6 years, so if it was over torqued I did it. Chasing a PTO issue on Hulk II right now. No power to the PTO switch. This is the first time Hulk has had a deck on in over 4 years.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1160194.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#4 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Just because you owned it for 6 years does not mean the owner before you may have cranked down on it. it could be all the years of being torqued on. Thats just one thing to keep in mind when you tighten your new one down. 

• larrybl said thank you

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:44 PM

I see your problem. You Painted it green!

Mower problems are annoying. But we run into them using the older equipment that we all love.
  • larrybl said thank you

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Mower problems are annoying. But we run into them using the older equipment that we all love.

Well, I cut all the tie wraps, and un-taped the loom chasing the + wire, couldn't find an issue so I turned to the Ground. I think I found the problem. Now to fix this (solder properly) and wrap all the wires back up.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1160194.JPG
  • P1160195.JPG
  • P1160196.JPG
  • P1160197.JPG
  • P1160199.JPG

#7 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:05 PM

I have a real "Green" one waiting on my touch, and it has some major wiring issues.

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:06 PM

It always amazes me the amount of wiring in GT....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • larrybl said thank you

#9 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:21 PM

Didn't get but a lap mowed here today. the belt on the 16/6 twin is mess up and won't spin blades fast enough to shoot the grass out. And the dixon the strator isn't charging and when the battery drains it stalls out. I think while I'm waiting on Matt (98murray) tomorrow I will mow with the jumpbox hook to it. Larry what the belt size going from the engine to the deck on Old Girl ? I think the 16/6 twin uses the same size.

Edited by bbuckler, May 29, 2016 - 07:22 PM.

• larrybl said thank you

#10 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Must be a day for electrical issues. Watching NASCAR and I started smelling something. Looked over and saw smoke (not Tony) coming from my fan and it was barely moving. Un plugged it and it will be tossed. Oh well.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1160201.JPG

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 12:08 PM

At least it's dark green :thumbs:

Didn't get but a lap mowed here today. the belt on the 16/6 twin is mess up and won't spin blades fast enough to shoot the grass out. And the dixon the strator isn't charging and when the battery drains it stalls out. I think while I'm waiting on Matt (98murray) tomorrow I will mow with the jumpbox hook to it. Larry what the belt size going from the engine to the deck on Old Girl ? I think the 16/6 twin uses the same size.

My ST16 was having a hard time after I put new mower belt on. I figured out I had the mule drive adjusted improperly and it cause the belt to slip enough to slow deck down. I only put maybe 4 turns on the adjuster and back to cutting fine.

Should be a 5/8x103

#12 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 09:04 PM

After I fixed the ground I mowed 1.5 acres with Hulk II. He did good, I used 3-Hi and had to slip the clutch on the tight corners. The cut looks good.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1160210.JPG
  • P1160211.JPG

Edited by larrybl, May 31, 2016 - 09:05 PM.

• TAHOE said thank you