• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 heliosuk OFFLINE  

heliosuk
  • Member No: 59196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 04:35 PM

I'm overhauling the PTO take off shaft and housing and want to replace the bearings but have come across something I've not seen before. When I measure the bearing (main front end roller) it is 44.5 mm wide by 14mm deep with a centre of 19mm for the shaft. When I look for this size in the UK bearing suppliers charts I cannot find a match. There are also signs that there is a gap (assuming the current bearing is correct) between the bearing and the main circlip retaining the main bearing of 3.5mm.

Referring to the parts list it shows a seal of a design that cannot possibly be correct for 3.5mm.

Can anyone throw any light on what the correct bearing size should be .

Thanks as ever for your help.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#2 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 961 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 05:16 PM

The front bearing (Bolens part # 1185605) is a pretty common 6203 series bearing. You should be able to easily source a SKF 6203-ZZ bearing or equivalent. Just remove one seal to match the OEM bearing so you can grease it. Not sure that I follow you on the "gap" problem you have. Are you missing the 1721590 nylon seal washer out front? Also, the 1185649 retaining rings are not a standard hardware size. They are 0.080" thick (or 2.01mm) Here is a good look at the part diagram. Make sure that everything is installed exactly as it is shown in the diagram. 

PTO Assembly.jpg

Edit for correction: Correct bearing is a 1635-2RS with one seal removed.

Edited by ClassicBolens, May 30, 2016 - 06:23 PM.

• MyBolens1053, heliosuk and 29 Chev have said thanks

#3 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 05:30 PM

As ClassicBolens said, it's a common size bearing, but it's an inch-series bearing, not Metric. It should be 1.75" OD x 0.75" ID x 0.50" thick. It should have a seal on one side only, as the PTO is lubed with grease via a Zerk fitting on the side of the housing. The sealed side of the bearing should face out and the open side in.

• MyBolens1053 and heliosuk have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Shipping may be a deal breaker but I do have a complete rebuild kit less the seal washer

http://bolenspartsan...118730-1185649/

• heliosuk said thank you

#5 heliosuk OFFLINE  

heliosuk
  • 87 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I searched the sites for the given SKF number and the sizes don't tie up plus the given assembly diagram. Based on the assembly diagram the outer nylon seal would seat on the bearing circling which from a base engineering principle cannot be true. No engineer would specify that a nylon outer seal would face against a circling.

SKF 6203 ZZ does not correlate to the required size and when I search in imperial the searches come up as not found.

HOwever all is not lost, I have found a housing seal on e bay today so just hope the P&P charges are ok. Have also rejuvenated the main bearing by soaking in penetrating oils for 24hrs and then spinning up with an air blower re cleaning and repacking with grease.

Assembly sequence and bearing dimensions still don't make any sense though !

Thanks for the replies.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#6 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the purchase of the seal,Rick

#7 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 961 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I searched the sites for the given SKF number and the sizes don't tie up plus the given assembly diagram. Based on the assembly diagram the outer nylon seal would seat on the bearing circling which from a base engineering principle cannot be true. No engineer would specify that a nylon outer seal would face against a circling.

SKF 6203 ZZ does not correlate to the required size and when I search in imperial the searches come up as not found.

HOwever all is not lost, I have found a housing seal on e bay today so just hope the P&P charges are ok. Have also rejuvenated the main bearing by soaking in penetrating oils for 24hrs and then spinning up with an air blower re cleaning and repacking with grease.

Assembly sequence and bearing dimensions still don't make any sense though !

Thanks for the replies.

My apologies. The 6203 bearing is wrong. That's what I get for going from memory (which I think is slowly fading)  :wallbanging:

The correct bearing is a 1635-2RS. http://simplybearing...oduct_info.html

The assembly goes together just as it is shown in the diagram, with the exception of the large internal retaining ring. It holds the ball bearing in place, then the seal washer goes on (heat it in boiling water to assist installation) then the 1185649 retaining ring holds it in place.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and heliosuk have said thanks

#8 heliosuk OFFLINE  

heliosuk
  • 87 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 04:24 PM

The assembly goes together just as it is shown in the diagram, with the exception of the large internal retaining ring. It holds the ball bearing in place, then the seal washer goes on (heat it in boiling water to assist installation) then the 1185649 retaining ring holds it in place.

Thanks for that. I've ordered the bearing now from Simply bearings, that's who I normally use. The diagram is somewhat misleading as it indicates the large circlip goes on top of the nylon seal. I had worked it out that it could not possibly be as shown. As it happens Rick had a seal for sale so have bought that.

When I'm overseas next I'll get a load of them made as they seem quite rare.

• ClassicBolens said thank you