• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 10:31 AM

Albeit the subject is not spot on, I've yet to receive bad advice from members on here.

After several weeks of wasted time, with both Sears and Ace Hardware which is where it was purchased, over a defective Craftsman air compressor I will not buy another one from either vendor.

Getting ready to do painting etc. on a GT and the further I get into it, the more it's realized that doing the project w/o compressed air is up there with trying to get out of sand with slick tires.

Recommendations for a reliable brand/vendor?

Had a CH from Wallyworld that lasted 15 years. That particular model is beyond the budget now.

Just need 4 cfpm and 110 psi.

Thinking about HF. Pros/cons?

After the several stories she has read about ppl getting ripped off, and other disturbing news concerning CL my better half is against CL ads.

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 11:56 AM

I like my Porter Cable compressor. If I bought one off of Craigslist, I would factor in rebuilding the compressor. You also don't know the internal condition of the tank. If you find one from a woodworker, it's probably in good shape. Those guys are finicky about taking care of things.

You now know why I don't buy anything Craftsman that has a cord or a battery. For whatever reason, their electrical and battery powered hand tools just do not hold up. I think they beat up their vendors for cost reductions and then ride on the Craftsman name. All of my battery powered tools are 18V DeWalt. Partially because they are good quality for the money and it gives me interchangeable batteries for all of my tools.
  • Alc, Traill95, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#3 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 12:08 PM

I have a husky from home depot,no problems in 4years,but then again,it probably has a years worth of use time
  • Alc and Phluphy have said thanks

#4 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 12:12 PM

I like my Porter Cable compressor. If I bought one off of Craigslist, I would factor in rebuilding the compressor. You also don't know the internal condition of the tank. If you find one from a woodworker, it's probably in good shape. Those guys are finicky about taking care of things.

You now know why I don't buy anything Craftsman that has a cord or a battery. For whatever reason, their electrical and battery powered hand tools just do not hold up. I think they beat up their vendors for cost reductions and then ride on the Craftsman name. All of my battery powered tools are 18V DeWalt. Partially because they are good quality for the money and it gives me interchangeable batteries for all of my tools.

Ditto on the DeWalt tools. I will have to say that I bought a Craftsman Industrial 5hp compressor in 2000 and I am still using it today with no problems as yet. If something goes wrong with it I will have got my moneys worth out of it by now.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Check out some of the HF units.  If your only going to use it for painting it won't take to large a unit.  But I would be that you will want to use impacts, etc. on it as well so go big enough to handle what you plan on doing.  An air sander takes a ton of air to run consistently.  I have a large 40 gal 220V Husky in the shop and HF unit mounted on a 10 gal tank in the machine shed.  Both have served me well.

#6 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 12:32 PM

A pancake compressor will run an HVLP gun. You can get those dirt cheap at HF. It will run a nail gun, HVLP spray gun, blow gun, sir up tires but not big air tools.
  • Alc, Sawdust and Phluphy have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 01:15 PM

I've had a CH pancake for over 20 years, a Senco for about 10. Like mentioned being a carpenter most my life I have taken good care of them. My shop unit is a 60 gallon Kobalt I bought used on CL...well maintained & happy with. A lot of good advice it mostly depends on your use.
  • Phluphy said thank you

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 01:28 PM

don't be so fast to eliminate CL as a possible source.  I have been taken a time or 2 but the good deals outweigh the "screwings" in my experience. though the worst "screwing" still stings over a year later.  the guy gave me a good story when I bought this diesel fired steam/power washer but I was still stinging from the fantastic one that had been recently stolen from me and I bought the 1st one that came along, I got in a hurry.   You just gotta feel out the seller and if possible try out the unit (which I did not do in that case til I had gotten home)  If it don't feel right then walk away.  

as far as HF goes I tend to buy absolutely a minimal amount of stuff there because we are basically forced to deal with enough China made garbage in the stores without patronizing a store that specializes in just that even more than Wal mart does.

but I have heard good reviews on their bigger upright compressor, particularly on the garage Journal site.

We have actually just had a new HF open up within 6 miles of me, I do go look around in there sometimes...

I am not in the market for a compressor but as I remember that one upright they had on the floor had a made in USA tank (a good tank is real important so as not to have a bomb waiting to explode) and between the motor and pump unit one was USA and the other was Mexico I think.... 

myself I have a 5hp 80 gallon upright, 2 stage in my garage, bought 15 years ago from the local classifieds. I have used the snot out of it, way more than got my $500 worth of use from it,  mine is a 1987 vintage but the identical one is still available today new if someone wants to pay $2800 for one.... this past winter I went thru it and replaced the valves and rings on it, cost me almost 1/2 what I paid for it but it will now give me at least another 15 years if not more.   mine is an Emglo, has a 2 stage 4 cylinder pump, and run on 220.   Always buy "more" compressor than you think you will need, you cannot go too big but if you go too small you will be sorry!   Consider future usage if possible.... I sandblast with mine and everything....

• Alc, Sawdust and Phluphy have said thanks

#9 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 01:28 PM

I have a 20+ year old 6hp 60 gallon Craftsman and have had zero problems with it. I will say however, if it ever fails I wouldn't object to replacing it a HF unit.

#10 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 01:54 PM

I have a husky from home depot,no problems in 4years,but then again,it probably has a years worth of use time

I just bought a 20 gal husky for $219 runs quite and built pressure fast. I would've went with a two stage but I don't have 220 at the barn,

Attached Thumbnails

• 13267934_1116057901784546_2660258298417174980_n.jpg

Edited by bbuckler, May 29, 2016 - 01:56 PM.

• Sawdust and Phluphy have said thanks

#11 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 05:25 PM

All considered and reading the reviews, plus a major discount, going with HF's 8 gal. 2hp model. Looks like just what is required around here.

Thanks for your input.

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 05:30 PM

Using a compressor for spray painting, you need to get one with enough CFM's top do the job!

• Phluphy said thank you

#13 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:02 PM

Using a compressor for spray painting, you need to get one with enough CFM's top do the job!

I use an antique Devilbiss gun that mists so fine it'll do mosquito wings and still see their detail :) Hasn't failed yet. And it was 14 years old when I aquired it 30 years ago!

Thanks

Edited by Phluphy, May 30, 2016 - 12:12 AM.

#14 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 771 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:37 PM

My husky just heated up today and shut down on me came back on after it cooled though good thing. I was painting parts. Mine look just like the husky pictured above not sure of the hp but man that thing takes for ever to fill up. Its ok for hvlp spray guns but running anything like my needle sander or orbital sander forget it it will over heat do to the little motor they have on these. It is pretty quiet compared to my older campbell.My campbell was put away because I thought this bigger tank husky would be quieter and hold more air but it just runs for ever when your using it as it cannot keep up with the volume of the spray gun. my smaller campbell with a bigger motor kicks on makes you jump and soon shuts down its got a smaller tank but a bigger motor and thats more constant pressure also does not overheat like the husky. As you can see I am really in need of a better compressor to one with a large tank and a big motor. 

#15 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 09:20 PM

My 25 yr old Craftsman 3 1/2 HP 13 gal pump was getting tired so I replaced the pump w/ the HF 3 HP pump and so far it has worked great. I just had to get a 4" vee pulley for the motor and do some creative bending of 3/8" copper tube to make the tank connection. Also had to build a belt guard.

I adapted the old pump via the old motor pulley bored to 1" to run off the hand crank stub on the wisconsin powering my portable Hobart welder. I mounted a donated new 10 gal tank for a receiver and control pressure w/ an air governor like used on big trucks. the pump runs at about 2/3 of rated RPM but supplies all the air I need for my needle gun and air chisel.

Mike