Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Better enjoy tinkering if you use old GT's.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 dualresponse1731 ONLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 178 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 05:54 AM

Some days it's just one thing after another!

I think there's a difference between working on something because one enjoys tinkering versus working on something because one has to. For me, I was tired of a lifetime of messing with tractors just  to get them to work  to get the lawn mowed. With an older (worn out) tractor, I would have to fix the tractor (a project in itself) to be able to mow the lawn (another project) and hope the tractor wouldn't break mid mowing (tow back to house- another project) and fix it again(another project). That's a lot of projects.

Out of frustration and necessity, I finally broke down and invested in a newer  john deere (not department store stuff).

Now, I can go mow the lawn when I want, and I can go tinker on the old tractor when I want. The new tractor makes the old one enjoyable, because the old LGT is  now a hobby on my terms. The new tractor  has let me get the old tractor to the point where it is semi-dependable again. It's fun to take the old tractor out and start using it on real projects, but I know if something goes south, I can always get the new one and finish the job if needed.

• rustyoldjunk, boyscout862, HANKG and 3 others have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:20 AM

I enjoy tinkering with them. I really enjoy building things for them!

• rustyoldjunk, boyscout862, HANKG and 3 others have said thanks

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:53 AM

I both use and repair mine frequently. Good clothes don't keep you from having to work and I enjoy using the old iron.
Sometimes the repairs could happen at more convenient times (and sometimes the frustration level goes beyond fun) and we had to go with dual's plan up at the farm (when it's mowing season, it's all hands on deck)
The only trailer queen I plan on having is Dads old mower (if we ever get around to it)

As an aside, this is part of what keeps the hobby fun. Different approaches to the hobby, different machines, different Ways of handling situations.
There is no right or wrong way to enjoy the tractors we've saved so long as we are showing respect to the machines and the bygone era they came from.
  • rustyoldjunk, DougT, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#19 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 780 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Tinkering vs restoring ....I kinda thought thats what I was doing out there all day (tinkering).  I know some people build trailer queens and I think thats awesome for the old steeds. I myself show some concern with appearance but my biggest reason for painting it is to remove the rust. I plan on using mine for many years to come, not just burn it out and get another one.

20160521_185617.jpg

Don't think I could have just tinkered on this deck it would have degraded back into the earth, I am sure if I tried to use it in this condition it would be but a few more years till I was the last one to use it. 

As someone stated already ....when doing a restore you tend to catch potential problems before they happen so if anything it means less tinkering.

But yes I do enjoy tinkering but I also  hate to stop and have to fix something that could have been avoided. 

I was always taught if you do it right the first time you won't have to go back and do it again a second. 

20160521_150543.jpg

Here is a deck that has been tinkered on before in the past ....I sure wish the PO would have restored this instead of just tinkered. 

• rustyoldjunk, boyscout862, classic and 1 other said thanks

#20 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 11:27 AM

Tinkering vs restoring ....I kinda thought thats what I was doing out there all day (tinkering).  I know some people build trailer queens and I think thats awesome for the old steeds. I myself show some concern with appearance but my biggest reason for painting it is to remove the rust. I plan on using mine for many years to come, not just burn it out and get another one.

attachicon.gif20160521_185617.jpg

Don't think I could have just tinkered on this deck it would have degraded back into the earth, I am sure if I tried to use it in this condition it would be but a few more years till I was the last one to use it. 

As someone stated already ....when doing a restore you tend to catch potential problems before they happen so if anything it means less tinkering.

But yes I do enjoy tinkering but I also  hate to stop and have to fix something that could have been avoided. 

I was always taught if you do it right the first time you won't have to go back and do it again a second. 

attachicon.gif20160521_150543.jpg

Here is a deck that has been tinkered on before in the past ....I sure wish the PO would have restored this instead of just tinkered. 

John I think you may have misconstrued the definition of tinkering for the purpose of this thread.... :poke:  :D  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#21 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 11:29 AM

I both use and repair mine frequently. Good clothes don't keep you from having to work and I enjoy using the old iron.
Sometimes the repairs could happen at more convenient times (and sometimes the frustration level goes beyond fun) and we had to go with dual's plan up at the farm (when it's mowing season, it's all hands on deck)
The only trailer queen I plan on having is Dads old mower (if we ever get around to it)

As an aside, this is part of what keeps the hobby fun. Different approaches to the hobby, different machines, different Ways of handling situations.
There is no right or wrong way to enjoy the tractors we've saved so long as we are showing respect to the machines and the bygone era they came from.

Alan I believe you summed it up pretty much perfectly.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#22 MolonLabe ONLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 03:02 PM

My wife loves the tinkering. Keeps me out of her hair.... I have mowed with a 1979 tractor for many years. 3 years ago I rebuilt the engine in my back yard and it has not failed me since.... Actually it never failed me before the rebuild but the mosquito population took exception to it. Rebuilt the deck/spindles last winter and as far as I know it was for the first time since it was new. Just a little preventative maintenance goes a long way on these older cast iron,  heavy framed tractors. Isn't it funny that the newer "lawn tractors" are powered by 20+ hp engines while my old K241 10 hp does the same job better, albeit a little slower. Think I will keep on tinkering... :rolling:

• rustyoldjunk, WHdbJD, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#23 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 03:15 PM

Well, I have more tinkering to do. The deck support link broke on RED today, new one on order. Had to finish up with Old Girl.  Don't ask how it broke, I don't know.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1160183.JPG
  • P1160184.JPG
  • P1160186.JPG
  • P1160187.JPG
  • P1160191.JPG

• rustyoldjunk and dualresponse1731 have said thanks

#24 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 669 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted May 30, 2016 - 12:38 PM

My wife loves the tinkering. Keeps me out of her hair.... I have mowed with a 1979 tractor for many years. 3 years ago I rebuilt the engine in my back yard and it has not failed me since.... Actually it never failed me before the rebuild but the mosquito population took exception to it. Rebuilt the deck/spindles last winter and as far as I know it was for the first time since it was new. Just a little preventative maintenance goes a long way on these older cast iron,  heavy framed tractors. Isn't it funny that the newer "lawn tractors" are powered by 20+ hp engines while my old K241 10 hp does the same job better, albeit a little slower. Think I will keep on tinkering... :rolling:

well, i agree that the old machines are putting out more power than todays, even rated at 1/2 the hp.... i betcha my moto mower will outpull a new box store mower with 3 times the hp. even with a honda clone.

the same thing will happen with a farm tractor, my grandpa said he could put a 4 bottom plow on his mf 135 and it will plow. try that with a new tractor!

betcha my dads old truck (91 dodge cummins 4X4 5 speed) will outperform any new truck, even with all the accessories to boost hp. that truck would do anything, given the traction to do it... 

relatively off topic rant over :smilewink:

Edited by Greasy6020, May 30, 2016 - 12:39 PM.