• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:03 PM

Lol right? So some of you may remember my snow blower and engine blowing this winter and it left me woundering... am I running it too hard? "We need more power captain!"

At what situations would you ever run the tractor at WOT? I use the sickle and blower and both are speed sensitive
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:16 PM

I run my snow blower and mower  WOT, but I governed it down just a bit so that its a little less then full throttle. I also like to adjust my carb just so it starts to run rich and then back off as opposed to getting it to idle highest at the leaner setting. Then to top it off add just a bit of marvels mystery oil in every tank and that will help reduce carb problems related to ethanol as well as keep your valves lubed up. These engines are designed to run at wot. 

• Alc, HANKG and propane1 have said thanks

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:19 PM

All the engine manufacturers have recommended top RPM. Anything above that you're putting yourself and the engine out on a limb. By WOT I hope you mean max governed speed.

Mike

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:25 PM

Snow blowing and mowing are done at W-AOT, tilling is done at half throttle. If the tractor was a hydro, I'd have her cranked up whenever it moved.

W-AOT: Widey-assed open throttle

• WNYTractorTinkerer, HANKG and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#5 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:47 PM

To answer your question in the bi-line of this post the folks at Vigra say to call a Dr. after 4 hours.

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 07:04 PM

I like to keep my engines as long as possible so I run them slower than what most people do. The loads on the engine components greatly increase as the engine speed increases. I try to be easy on my things but that is a personal choice. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, michael.kitko, HANKG and 3 others have said thanks

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 07:26 PM

not necessarily. You do not want to lug the engine either that is harder on them than running WOT can be. 

When choosing a cam for a car engine per say there are graphs that show what RPM max torque and max HP run at,

whether mowing tilling or blowing snow run the engine at the speed at which it puts out max HP and torque, and it will be more likely to "loaf" than to work real hard. Use the trans or hydro to choose ground speed but keep engine cranked so that attachment runs at its most effective speed;

ground speed is much more likely to be variable than attachment speed by a means other than throttle.

that said I have a 70-some yo neighbor woman that has a Deere rear engine rider w/a 9HP Kawi engine and she insists on running the throttle at "maybe" 1/2(if that) and putting around in one of the lowest gears (this machine has 7 speeds available) paint dries faster, grass grows faster than she mows..... I often get called to repair the minor things that go bad on this machine and I always tell her to throttle it up and just control ground speed with the tranny.... she will listen to me for most of 1 mowing then the next time she is back to doing things as she always does....

she complains about "too loud" when she throttles it up. that Kawi is quieter than most of the box store LTs that the other neighbors own anyways.... but won't listen to me when I try to tell her  that it is easier on the machine to speed the blade up....

• Alc, shorty, Oldford and 2 others have said thanks

#8 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 08:27 PM

Splashed lubed engines

Mowing WOT 3600 RPM

Tilling WOT 3600 RPM

Snow Blowing WOT 3600 RPM

Traveling !/2 throttle

Keep in mind the charging system needs the RPM's too

Pressure lubed engines 

Mowing WOT 3600 RPM (keep blade speed up)

Tilling Can be varied to needs.

Snow Can be varied to needs

Traveling Any throttle

Still need to keep an eye on the volt / amp meter

• shorty, HANKG, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 09:01 PM

My experience is that all my attachments produce results more to my liking with HIGH RPM. It is how they were designed to be run.
  • jimmy G said thank you

#10 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 09:12 PM

I get concerned with the sickle because it feels like it's vibing apart. I'm conStanly tightening or replacing fasteners where double Nutting isn't possible. Next I'm trying some med strength lock tight.

#11 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:21 AM

I like to keep my engines as long as possible so I run them slower than what most people do.

Keep in  mind the cooling increases with rpms.

• shorty said thank you

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 10:42 AM

Hi the older sickle mowers were basically an IH mower and per the IH manual the flywheel R's should be 850 or approx 1700 cycles per min. so if you have a laser digital tach you could check the flywheel R's and set the engine speed accordingly, likewise when using the rotary mower I run very close to WOT  and a bit less when plowing snow at other times I use what seems right. As posted lugging the engine is not good and cooling needs to be taken in to account when it hot out and the engine is working hard.

New lock washers should hold the nuts & bolts tight my IH sickle mower does shack (that's the nature of them) but it doesn't loosen any of the bolts, be sure they are good and tight.

Edited by MNGB, May 29, 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#13 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 08:20 PM

I usually run mine at 3/4 throttle unless I am mowing or tilling, then it is WOT. I do have to admit, my newest attachment has a max speed of 2600 rpm, so I might be dialing it down for that too when I get it finished.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

#14 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Lol right? So some of you may remember my snow blower and engine blowing this winter and it left me woundering... am I running it too hard? "We need more power captain!"

At what situations would you ever run the tractor at WOT? I use the sickle and blower and both are speed sensitive

I think there is 2 questions here.

1 - How fast do you run your engine, RPM?

2 - How much load do you put on your engine at that RPM?

#15 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 11:56 PM

More like how hard do you run the attachments. Friday night I mowed with the sickle for about 2 hours. Saturday I inspected it and can see some important issues needing adressing. The mule drive is slamming into the frame of the tractor, and the blade is striking the end of the bar. On top of a ton of loose joints.

Thanks for the info everyone. Growing up I was always told to use 1\2 throttle by my father. What he says must be right right?