Are These Tires Rare?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hooligan_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 21, 2010 - 09:29 PM

I found this old phone book from the 70's a while back, and I thought it would be a hoot to call some of the old lawn mower shops. I know, I know, but it was a slow day with the 10 inches of snow. Any way, I make a few calls, all are out of order or are now chinese take out. The third call I make is to the local Power King/Gravely dealer at EastSide Mower Repair of Tulsa. The guy answers the phone, and I ask if this is EastSide, he says it was, but he closed the business in '82. We got talking and he still lives on the property, about 2 acres surrounded by housing addition of once was the country outside of town. He still has a lot of Power King stuff, mostly implements, and a bunch of Gravely walk behinds. We walk into the old shop and sitting in the corner is a set of tires. I ask them what size they are and he says they're 8-18 PK tires, Goodyears. he shows me the receipt for 100 dollars dated 1978, and says he would have to have 25 a piece. I look them over expecting them to be rotted or checked, but other than dust they look like they were delivered last week. These are a saw tooth design almost identical to my newly acquired 444's, WHOOPEE, I score AGAIN

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1199..JPG
  • DSCF1191..JPG

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,446 Thanks
  • 17,086 posts

Posted March 22, 2010 - 05:55 AM

Nice Find!
I would say that those tires are hard to find, especially with that old style tread.

#3 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Now everyone is gonna be calling old numbers in the phone book. What a cool story!