• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • Member No: 11152
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:27 PM

I have a '79 HT-23 with the 54" deck on it. the past couple years i seem to be eating up one of the idler pulleys. the one i'm talking about is the center one in the picture.

ABF327EF-45E0-4DA0-B7CF-64837E2CC3A1_zps

when i've bought replacement ones from our sponsors they only last a mowing season if that. is there a way to lube these? is there a better replacement?

i've put it all back together the way it was when i first got the tractor every time. there is some spacers that are in there that don't let the two flat pieces bind the pulley when tightened down. with out the belt on there the pulley spins nice and free. it seems like the ball bearings are not meant for this application and needs to be more like the sealed bearing. anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? i would have finished the lawn but started smelling HOT belt smell and looked and the inside of that pulley was glowing red and decided to stop mowing.

#2 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:37 PM

according to my manuals i downloaded the 18070-01 (1714 742) is different than the 18070-2, -3, 18071-1, -02. the last four all taking the same pulley (1724 488). i'm not sure which deck i have but i'm sick of these coming apart.

Edited by oddfirecj5, May 27, 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#3 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:51 PM

If I am looking at the correct parts break down the belt guide bolt and the bolt the spring is hooked to appear to be reversed in the parts break down to the way yours is mounted and there is no hook on the spring.  I would also question that the U shaped piece attached to the bolt (belt guide?) should be in contact with the belt the way yours appears to be as that would create constant friction that would make the belt heat up and the heat would be transferred to other pulleys causing them to get hot.  Another possibility may be that the belt is slipping which again would generate heat and transfer it to the pulleys that it comes in contact with and the idler pulley bearing may be the weak spot that is getting heated up too much - just a couple of thoughts.

Attached Thumbnails

• Deck Parts View 1.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, May 27, 2016 - 06:02 PM.

• oddfirecj5 said thank you

#4 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 06:14 PM

here is a picture from 2011. this is the way i got it when i bought it.mower deck 001.jpg

#5 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 06:16 PM

in the second picture you can see it also making contact with the solid mount for the idler. and it looks like the one pulley is smaller

#6 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 06:18 PM

i didn't start having any issues until 2 years ago

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 06:19 PM

I think something is wrong with the tensioning, idlers should not fail that fast especially with a ball bearing, both those idlers should be the same those look to be two different size and the spring looks like its  hooked up goofy as well, I dont have a deck to take a pic but I'm sure one of the other guys will help you out with a pic

• boyscout862 and oddfirecj5 have said thanks

#8 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 989 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 06:32 PM

I also do not have a deck to take a pic of but I have rebuilt this deck in the past and it is not right your idler bracket looks to be making contact with the belt this will cause extreme heat and will warp the pulley and bearing in it. Just because the issue just started recently does not mean that it was correct before, it may just have now been in the right circumstances to fail for you. Someone should be able to take a pic of their functional deck to give you a better idea of its correct assembly. Good luck.
  • boyscout862 and oddfirecj5 have said thanks

#9 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 06:56 PM

thanks guys. anybody have an original set of idler pulleys? and hopefully someone will get a picture soon so i can get back to mowing.

#10 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Your setup appears correct, but belt guide is not to make contact with belt. Is only there to keep it from whipping around. Move it toward housing. Is your spring tight enough? Doesn't appear very tight.  Paul

• oddfirecj5 and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#11 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 07:20 PM

On mine the belt guide is turned in away from belt and doing nothing. Was that way when I got it. Deck was on tractor then. Off now and have never used it. Everything else looks same as yours except spring has obvious tension on it.

#12 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Your setup appears correct, but belt guide is not to make contact with belt. Is only there to keep it from whipping around. Move it toward housing. Is your spring tight enough? Doesn't appear very tight.  Paul

i've tried not using that bungie clip but cannot get that spring to hook onto the bolt. if i get the correct pulley and move that guide it should not make contact. but finding the right pulley is the hard part.

• Paulgo said thank you

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:05 PM

i've tried not using that bungie clip but cannot get that spring to hook onto the bolt. if i get the correct pulley and move that guide it should not make contact. but finding the right pulley is the hard part.

The spring broke at one point and on the one end you can see where they bent another hook so your spring is shorter than its supposed to be

The idlers should either be the smaller 1724488 or the big 1724925 ball bearing type

#14 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 960 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 09:41 PM

Your 54" deck is a model 18110. This can easily be determined by the raised "bump out" for the newer style spindle assemblies. The older 54" decks were flat across the top for the old style spindle assemblies.

The 18110 uses the later 1752354 (old # 1724925) idler pulleys. Many of the aftermarket replacements for the 1752354 idler pulley are not correct, as the center bushing height is wrong. Some others are just cheaply made. The OEM Bolens idlers are readily available, but they are expensive. Check to see that your idlers have adequate clearance and spin freely in the idler assembly. Check the idler brackets to see if the idler pulleys have been rubbing against them. Download the 18110 parts manual and compare it to ensure your idler assembly is assembled exactly as it is shown in the diagram. If there is any wobble or slop, the bushings in the idler arms may also need replaced. As others mentioned, the belt guide should not touch the belt. This causes excessive heat and may very well be the burning rubber that you smell.

Edited by ClassicBolens, May 28, 2016 - 12:33 AM.

• Bolens 1000, oddfirecj5, bprzyw and 1 other said thanks

#15 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:20 AM

so wondering what the correct height is supposed to be so i know what to look for. i'll try and get this apart today and snap some pictures.

will one of the older decks fit on the HT with no mods? i have two of the older decks i could make into one. but now i think of it i may not have the correct belt for those. 

looking at the CORRECT manual for my deck i do see where the guide is in the wrong place and will correct that and try to find the spring.

• Paulgo said thank you