• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky1 OFFLINE  

Nicky1
  • Member No: 74769
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:04 PM

I just was wondering if anyone had made their own clutch disc [ like the Cub Cadet clutch]out of the lining material that McMaster Carr sells. They have it in all thicknesses and widths. I just don't know if it is rigid enough. I had some before that I used to reline the disc brakes on my Cub and it came in a box rolled up.

Thanks in advance, Nicky1

• VTXrider and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 07:53 AM

The clutch disc in my 960 is composed of friction material bonded to both sides of a steel plate. The friction material is extremely brittle and has broken in the area of the drive pins. When it comes time to replace it I'm going to use a solid aluminum disc like Brian Miller describes in his pulling pages. If you bonded the material to a steel disc it might work but keep in mind that there is very little travel in the release mechanism so make sure that it isn't too thick.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 Nicky1 OFFLINE  

Nicky1
  • Member No: 74769
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 02:04 PM

The clutch disc in my 960 is composed of friction material bonded to both sides of a steel plate. The friction material is extremely brittle and has broken in the area of the drive pins. When it comes time to replace it I'm going to use a solid aluminum disc like Brian Miller describes in his pulling pages. If you bonded the material to a steel disc it might work but keep in mind that there is very little travel in the release mechanism so make sure that it isn't too thick.

The tractor i'm using it in is a Ford LGT 100. I'm putting a Cub type disc clutch in between the engine and the right angle drive gear box and I have some other plans for the area where the belt tightener clutch was originally. what I need is a 3" or so pulley on the clutch end of the engine---kinda like your 960 Mtd. The drive plate will be on the face of that pulley, then I can run a hyd pump off of that pulley. We'll see what happens.

I thank you for your input.

#4 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 02:37 AM

The MTD disc with the metal in between is the older style , it was replaced by a solid fiber type. The metal center on the old style really wore hard on the guide pins. As far as I know cub discs are still available  and can be used on a MTD, just rotate and drill for the 4 pin system.

• Alc, VTXrider and Sawdust have said thanks