Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Repower with Kohler CH730-3208 Command PRO Series 725 cc 23.5 Gross HP Horizontal Engine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 10:24 AM

Got me a 1886-01 with a bad K482 Kohler, I would rebuild, but cylinder #1 has very deep gouges from PO. Broken rings, run hard. Wondering if this engine would work fine in it, and what else I would need, like stub shaft, flywheel adapter for PTO, wiring harness, maybe a new / fabed up engine mount to get PTO where it should be. Any other things I am missing? Here is a link to the engine:

http://www.equipatro...CFY-DaQodASgCPg

Would like to have a spare GT around, plus I have the 60" deck, and 33" tiller.

Thanks

Bernie

• cherikl69 said thank you

#2 5thGenFarmer OFFLINE  

5thGenFarmer
  • Member No: 62816
  • 20 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 11:07 AM

Bernie -
My 1886-01 was repowered by the PO with a Kohler command 18hp horizontal shaft. The v-twin has plenty of power for what I use it for - mostly it has to push around and power a very heavy 60" Mott hammer flail mower which gets extensive use cutting heavy, tall grass. I've never had a problem with a lack of power and really appreciate the convenience of a modern powerplant. The PO fitted it with a forward stub shaft to drive the PTO and cut some metal bar stock to lift it up a bit and create mounting points. Be sure to get the correct height and position of the front stub/PTO sheave on the old 482 before you pull the old engine. Not the best solution (dedicated engine mounts would have been better and reduced vibration), but it works. I've heard that Kubota sells some small engine mounts that would work well in this application. Might upgrade someday if I can find the time.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
  • bprzyw said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 02:44 PM

Engine will work in it but you might have to find someone to make a Stub shaft or possible order 1 off of SmallEngineWarehouse.Don't know if they will sell the adapter kit without selling you the engine but it might be worth a shot.

http://www.smallengi...-1886-Category/

• bprzyw said thank you