• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:06 PM

I think the same can be said for any brand of engine, don't you?

Yeah but I know my simplicity has a good engine , and I think thats where he was getting at. 

Trust me I prefer the horse , much sexier then the simplicity. I also like the way it blows and has a straight belt not a looped or bent twisted belt for the snow blower. There are several things I like better about a horse then a simplicity.  

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,667 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:10 PM

I don't know I asked him, he said he took it on trade , yet the guy that posted the ad was his neighbor. I asked the guy that owns the tractor if he had all the parts and he said he was not sure. (I requested better photos). 

This is why I am asking for advice on the tiller I have no experience with tillers (yet). 

If he doesn't have all the tiller parts, they are very expensive to buy from Toro. Also, there is a looong belt and a lift part.

#18 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:15 PM

IMO it depends on the local market.  There's a simplicity tiller in minot $100 http://maine.craigsl...5580253137.html

Then there's a wheel horse tiller in camden $300 http://maine.craigsl...5596522093.html

There was a thread yesterday was looking for a wheel horse tiller and just the pulley bracket was like $150 on ebay i think.  So maybe simplicity tillers are cheaper or don't need as many parts that get lost when tractors change hands over the years...?  dunno

I saw the ad for the tractor you're looking at, i think he's asking 350?  Does it have all the parts to run the tiller?  How much is your simplicity worth, could you sell it for more and by the wh?

As for the things I'd be afraid of... bevel gear box is what keeps me away from simplicty/allis.  i'm sure they are fine but i just don't have the ability with gear box repairs. 

as for the wh the ad says kohler but the pic looks like a tecumseh to me.  you say it needs a coil...?  i'd be afraid of the old tecumseh electronic ignitions, parts can get expensive.  again lots of guys it's no problem but not my thing.

Always nice to have a backup mower of the same brand, looks like you could keep the 120 for winter and 160 for summer, or am i missing something.  maybe you don't mind swapping attachments, might just be me.  still nice to have a backup year-round in case something breaks.  same idea with old sears but they are getting hard to find in any kind of shape, seems like either collectors item or else ready for scrap, haven't seen much in the middle in maine.

last thing people like the "simplicity cut" but if your rear discharge horse works for you maybe that is good enough.  and i don't own any of your 3 brands so i can't give advice just ask questions and ramble on, good luck...

As I am explaining my situation out you will see I am a collector restorer to end user. I have found my first biggest love of tractors 2 68 sears a manual and a hydro. I got a bunch of sears attachments including a sickle bar mower and a tiller. and as far as the tecumseh ignitions I just convert them over and done with it I also found a way around doing a toggle switch so I am real happy with the sears. Its just that I got this horse and I love it and just the idea between two tractors sharing the same stuff makes me even happier. 

I really should be trading this for me sears or sears attachments like I though I was until the horse popped up this morning. 

#19 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:17 PM

Why are you trading straight up?

I would do a couple of things. Ask to see the tiller mounted to the wheelhorse. Then you will know for sure what is or is not missing. Then if you are happy offer a trade with him kicking in some boot.

#20 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:27 PM

If he doesn't have all the tiller parts, they are very expensive to buy from Toro. Also, there is a looong belt and a lift part.

Well if I do go thought with the trade I'll make sure to get more detail (photos) and share it here. 

I'll be honest I am not talked out of it at this point. I was using my horse today and man does it turn well , almost as good as my sears. 

#21 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:34 PM

If mowing is the main thing the tractor will be doing, the Simplicity can't be beat.
If your not happy with the Simplicity snowblower, it probably needs service.
The wheelhorse looks to be missing the intermediate pulley for the tiller.
That kills the deal.
Sounds to me like you should sell both your wheelhorse and Simplicty.
And, buy more Sears.

#22 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:52 PM

If mowing is the main thing the tractor will be doing, the Simplicity can't be beat.
If your not happy with the Simplicity snowblower, it probably needs service.
The wheelhorse looks to be missing the intermediate pulley for the tiller.
That kills the deal.
Sounds to me like you should sell both your wheelhorse and Simplicty.
And, buy more Sears.

Thanks for pointing out the intermediate pulley thats what I was thinking was missing but was not sure what it was called or if it was even missing I was photo guessing. yes if its missing its more of a cost to me and a deal killer. 

The problem with selling my wheel horse is my little yard design and garden I need the rear discharge to  row between rows in my garden , its something my wife wants to do so we have grass in between rows and down have to weed also keeps our feet clean. (picts of that later in gardening) 

The simplicity snow blower works perfect spins quiet and even has an electric pto does not shoot as far as the wh and get packed up easier in wet snow, wet snow is the hardest to deal with. Also the simplicity has a twisted belt from the pto to the snow thrower and I prefer the straight belt like the sears and wheel horse have I learned this after buying my first simplicity. Nothing really against it as it does work, just not what I want in my collection. 

If I could get some nice sears for what I have I would I have been trying. 

• Rock farmer said thank you

#23 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:32 PM

I think the same can be said for any brand of engine, don't you?

It happens on Briggs and Tecumseh engines to but it doesn't affect the cylinder bore nearly as bad on those.

Here's why.Kohler engines use a shorter connecting rod and the wrist pin is Lower on the piston.Once the rings get worn the leading edge of the piston will dig into the cylinder bore.Once that leading edge is worn down the sharp edge on the rings act like a knife scratching at the inside of the bore.

Here's some pics.You can see exactly what I mean if you look at the wrist pin locations on all 3 pistons.

#1 is Kohler K301 piston #2 is Briggs 16hp piston and #3 is Tecumseh HH120 piston.

$_57.JPG   s-l1600.jpg   !BjyLq5gCGk~$(KGrHqMH-C0Es-ZkrfpLBLU3ewHRPQ~~_12.JPG

• LilysDad said thank you

#24 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Sounds like you're convinced on the WH, that's why they make different tractors, trade and move on.
  • shorty said thank you