• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:04 AM

As many of you know I been searching for a Sears Suburban and been willing to trade my simplicty 3415H for one. Well I found a wheel horse instead its a c-160 (I have a c-120) so seeing that I already got the little sister to it I am interested.

Ok so I know that the WH is going to need some work. 

Here are the picts 

wh160.jpg

wh160 till.jpg

deck.jpg

My trade is this 

20151015_174949.jpg

20160115_124245.jpg

Mine runs and does everything it should....his don't and I am not sure if he is missing alot or a little...I know there is no coil  and no wheel for the deck anyone see anything else to be afraid of?

#2 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:20 AM

Why do you want to get rid of the Simplicity? Very nice tractors.

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:23 AM

Keep the simplicity, around here you can get those wheel horses for $200 or less and that simplucity is 2x the machine.

#4 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:40 AM

Why do you want to get rid of the Simplicity? Very nice tractors.

Well because now I have Briggs, kohler, and tech. engines in all my stuff I am looking to slim down some so I don't need so many different types of engines and parts. I already own a c120 and it our preforms the simplicity snow blowing. thinking the 160 may do a bit better. I have not restored the simplicity yet so its not a huge loss to add a horse and lose the last simplicity. The horse comes with the tiller that has to add some value to the trade. But yet the simplicity is nice and mows great so thats why I am asking for trade advice, if I was sure I would not have asked for advice.

#5 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:55 AM

20151130_101118.jpg

Then I can share attachments with this one and make it look as good some day. 

I think its more because then I would have 2 horses and 2 sears. I have realized  that unless I get a different type of mower with a rear discharge deck I need to keep my c120 horse I need a rear discharge. I also love my horse and don't want to part with it to much has been put into it for anyone to appreciate (but me).  So I was planning on selling off the simplicity anyway and getting another 1968 Suburban ....I am just thinking maybe the WH trade instead if its not one of those are you out of your mind type of deals so I am just trying to figure out if I should jump on it or not.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:58 AM

I picked up a 1974 C160 with the Tech engine a month ago. It came with the deck and hasn't run in many years. It was a freebie but is turning out to be a PIA. The electrical is the stumbling block so far. The non running C160 with deck and tiller is probably worth  $200 to $300 less than the Simplicity. It would be nice to have for parts. Good Luck, Rick

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 11:49 AM

As many of you know I been searching for a Sears Suburban and been willing to trade my simplicty 3415H for one. Well I found a wheel horse instead its a c-160 (I have a c-120) so seeing that I already got the little sister to it I am interested.

Mine runs and does everything it should....his don't and I am not sure if he is missing alot or a little...I know there is no coil  and no wheel for the deck anyone see anything else to be afraid of?

I am looking to slim down some so I don't need so many different types of engines and parts. I already own a c120 and it our preforms the simplicity snow blowing. thinking the 160 may do a bit better. I have not restored the simplicity yet so its not a huge loss to add a horse and lose the last simplicity. The horse comes with the tiller that has to add some value to the trade. But yet the simplicity is nice and mows great so thats why I am asking for trade advice, if I was sure I would not have asked for advice.

Then I can share attachments with this one and make it look as good some day. 

I think its more because then I would have 2 horses and 2 sears. I have realized  that unless I get a different type of mower with a rear discharge deck I need to keep my c120 horse I need a rear discharge. I also love my horse and don't want to part with it to much has been put into it for anyone to appreciate (but me).  So I was planning on selling off the simplicity anyway and getting another 1968 Suburban ....I am just thinking maybe the WH trade instead if its not one of those are you out of your mind type of deals so I am just trying to figure out if I should jump on it or not.

IMO it depends on the local market.  There's a simplicity tiller in minot $100 http://maine.craigsl...5580253137.html

Then there's a wheel horse tiller in camden $300 http://maine.craigsl...5596522093.html

There was a thread yesterday was looking for a wheel horse tiller and just the pulley bracket was like $150 on ebay i think.  So maybe simplicity tillers are cheaper or don't need as many parts that get lost when tractors change hands over the years...?  dunno

I saw the ad for the tractor you're looking at, i think he's asking 350?  Does it have all the parts to run the tiller?  How much is your simplicity worth, could you sell it for more and by the wh?

As for the things I'd be afraid of... bevel gear box is what keeps me away from simplicty/allis.  i'm sure they are fine but i just don't have the ability with gear box repairs. 

as for the wh the ad says kohler but the pic looks like a tecumseh to me.  you say it needs a coil...?  i'd be afraid of the old tecumseh electronic ignitions, parts can get expensive.  again lots of guys it's no problem but not my thing.

Always nice to have a backup mower of the same brand, looks like you could keep the 120 for winter and 160 for summer, or am i missing something.  maybe you don't mind swapping attachments, might just be me.  still nice to have a backup year-round in case something breaks.  same idea with old sears but they are getting hard to find in any kind of shape, seems like either collectors item or else ready for scrap, haven't seen much in the middle in maine.

last thing people like the "simplicity cut" but if your rear discharge horse works for you maybe that is good enough.  and i don't own any of your 3 brands so i can't give advice just ask questions and ramble on, good luck...

• Cvans said thank you

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 12:16 PM

as for the wh the ad says kohler but the pic looks like a tecumseh to me

I guess I wasn't aware that Tecumseh made an engine that looked that much like a Kohler.  

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 12:34 PM

The C160 is my all time desirable WH, but the one I had featured a K345. I wouldn't bother with a tec. Does the tiller have all the parts? The front pulley braket?

#10 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 01:08 PM

The C160 is my all time desirable WH, but the one I had featured a K345. I wouldn't bother with a tec. Does the tiller have all the parts? The front pulley braket?

I don't know I asked him, he said he took it on trade , yet the guy that posted the ad was his neighbor. I asked the guy that owns the tractor if he had all the parts and he said he was not sure. (I requested better photos). 

This is why I am asking for advice on the tiller I have no experience with tillers (yet). 

#11 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 01:23 PM

C160s are a beast, I have an older 16 Auto, Love the hyds that come with a hydro, great for a snowblower !  The Kohler K341 rocks, plenty of power for anything I have found around here.

#12 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,289 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 01:23 PM

I would keep the Simplicity.You won't find a better mowing machine.

Couple things to watch out for with an old K series Kohler powered GT is knocking,smoking and vapor out of the breather assembly.All 3 will cost you upwards of $400 in parts and machine work.All 3 will end up with you having the engine rebored and rebuilt to make it last more than a couple of years.

If you can't hear it run I would Run away.

If you want a tractor that can plow,mow and till your garden I would keep an eye out for a good running Bolens tube frame.You can find attachments for them all over the east coast.The sears attachments especially the tillers are pretty hard to find and they are not cheap.Trust me I know I've been looking for 1 for my old Sears SS14 since I got it a year and 1/2 ago. 

Edited by EricFromPa, May 27, 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#13 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 04:28 PM

There's not a chance in Hades that I would take a wheel horse over simplicity. There is nothing about a wheel horse that I like except some of the early ones have some good-looking curves. Beautiful paperweights. (sarcasm)

Maybe you can get rid of the other horse and begin a Simplicity fleet! You're halfway there already :-)

#14 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 04:58 PM

OK great advice here is where I am at....I preferred the wheel horse over the simplicity because I already decided I was going to sell that once I got my sears going.But when I came across that I thought to my self heck 2 wheel horses and 2 sears would be more ideal because  I can have 2 tractors sharing the same implements in case of brake down or just keep the desired implement on each tractor as I really want. The only thing I use the simplicity for is mowing and snow blowing. I use my Wheel Horse and cannot part with it because I use the small rear discharge deck to mow in between my rows and the wh c120 blows snow better then the simplicity so thinking the c160 would even do better. 

I understand the issue about it not running and that is the scary part although I would really prefer to restore and use the horse common sense tells me to stick with what I got because I know what I got. I am willing to take a bit of a beating here because I desire the wheel horse have very little passion to restore or fix up the simplicity soon I will have the sears doing everything the simplicity is doing.

I think I may have to pass on this one at this time with out hearing the engine run. I also need to have a good running mower until I get my sears done and that the simplicity does well, the little rear discharge wheel horse no so well then as well with missing parts it says someone has been tinkering with me and can't get be running. Seller says it needs a battery in the ad to run but I see it needs more so maybe I shouldn't gamble.

Thanks you all for you advise 

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 05:01 PM

Couple things to watch out for with an old K series Kohler powered GT is knocking,smoking and vapor out of the breather assembly.All 3 will cost you upwards of $400 in parts and machine work.All 3 will end up with you having the engine rebored and rebuilt to make it last more than a couple of years.

I think the same can be said for any brand of engine, don't you?