• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WoodyChuck OFFLINE  

WoodyChuck
  • Member No: 83094
  • 14 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 04:21 PM

I am new to the world of tractors I'm 17 and want a good working tractor to cut grass plow snow ect. I got this tractor for free off my uncle and it was not running. I cleaned out the bowl and sprayed carb cleaner into it and got it "running". Well the problem is my uncle got it off a guy at a flea market and he's done some things to the tractor such as making his own muffler system, making a clutch rod (found this out the hard way) and welded the carb back together after it failed (yep found it out the hard way too). I got a new clutch rod made and am ordering a new carb but I wouldn't mind some advice on what I should do to get this tractor mechanically sound without doing more then what is needed.

Edited by WoodyChuck, May 26, 2016 - 04:23 PM.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 WoodyChuck OFFLINE  

WoodyChuck
  • 14 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 04:29 PM

Picture of tractor and the broken carb

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0183.jpg
  • IMAG0197.jpg

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 05:15 PM

That is areally good tractor. You need to service it completely before running it. Otherwise you may do damage. Go to our Manuals Section and download the manuals that you need. There is an excellant kohler manual that will help with engine problems. I think that there is a shop manual for your tractor. Good Luck, Rick

Here is the Service Manual:  http://gardentractor...50-service-man/   As you work on it, ask us when you need a better explanation. Pics will help us understand the question.

Edited by boyscout862, May 26, 2016 - 05:23 PM.

• jpackard56 and WoodyChuck have said thanks

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 05:33 PM

don't expect to "put the minimum" into it and expect everything to be fine. I'd pull the head and decarbon it and tops of piston/valves, then figure on replacing points condenser and spark plug at a minimum, automatically, along with the head gasket. DON'T reuse the head gasket, not worth it for the few  $$ a new one will cost. then check the belts to the deck, and all the bearings in the spindles along with the idlers.  It drives me nuts when people want a machine that runs like a Swiss watch while wanting to do the minimum.

• jpackard56, boyscout862 and WoodyChuck have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 06:38 AM

don't expect to "put the minimum" into it and expect everything to be fine. I'd pull the head and decarbon it and tops of piston/valves, then figure on replacing points condenser and spark plug at a minimum, automatically, along with the head gasket. DON'T reuse the head gasket, not worth it for the few  $$ a new one will cost. then check the belts to the deck, and all the bearings in the spindles along with the idlers.  It drives me nuts when people want a machine that runs like a Swiss watch while wanting to do the minimum.

That is what the TV and schools teach now, everything for nothing. They even have put business managers in charge of engineers now. As an engineer, I've had a lawyer tell me that "safety can be compromised."  I'm glad that I'm retired because I'm seeing collapses in the news at a much higher rate than they used to be. Good Luck, Rick

• jpackard56 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#6 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:25 AM

As I said in your other post, you definitely need to do a head gasket and tru the head. The 1200 has a rubber mounted engine and there known for the mounts going bad which will crack the flexible 3 pin driver, the flexible driver is very expensive and if you continue to run it you will ruin it if it isn't already ruined. The popular repair is to buy a set of solid engine mounts and do away with the rubber mounts, at that time you can install a solid 3 pin driver which is much cheaper than the flex driver. Pm me for info on the solid mounts, I know a guy that makes them and I can give you his info. Not knowing your mechanical ability or the tools you have I will go ahead and make you an offer, I'm 45 miles north of Pittsburgh and if you can haul the tractor to my shop I can walk you through doing the head and valves the proper way. If you want to do it on your own I highly recommend you download the service manual and read through it a few times, I also highly recommend you check out this site as its full of information on your tractor. http://www.onlycubca...forum/index.php

Edited by olds45512, May 27, 2016 - 08:30 AM.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 spindley OFFLINE  

spindley
  • Member No: 78940
  • 11 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 04:06 PM

It humbles me to see a 17 yr old have an interest in mechanics.   To go out and get dirt,grease,mud under his fingernails.   And also bust a couple knuckles and keep movin on.  We have a lot of other technology out there that our teenagers could be doing.   So my hats off to you Woodychuck.    Its addictive.  I say this because I have been in this business for 25 years,and I tell you it doesnt get easier.      :welcome:   

• KennyP, jpackard56, BNK and 1 other said thanks

#8 WoodyChuck OFFLINE  

WoodyChuck
  • 14 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 12:23 PM

It humbles me to see a 17 yr old have an interest in mechanics.   To go out and get dirt,grease,mud under his fingernails.   And also bust a couple knuckles and keep movin on.  We have a lot of other technology out there that our teenagers could be doing.   So my hats off to you Woodychuck.    Its addictive.  I say this because I have been in this business for 25 years,and I tell you it doesnt get easier.      :welcome:

Thanks! I've always held an interest in mechanics and now I can actually start teaching myself small repairs on things like this. I did a compression test and got 118 psi out of it so the head gasket should be fine on it the new carb came in and I just haven't had time to get it on just yet I'll make another reply when I get around to it but finals in all of my classes have kept me busy

#9 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 12:30 PM

If you got 118psi on a compression test then something is seriously wrong, the engine in your 1200 has a compression release to help it start easier. If you got 118 then there's no way the compression release is working and I'm pretty shocked that you can even get the engine to start, I suggest you download the manual and read up on the acr ( automatic compression release)

#10 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 01:05 PM

If you got 118psi on a compression test then something is seriously wrong, the engine in your 1200 has a compression release to help it start easier. If you got 118 then there's no way the compression release is working and I'm pretty shocked that you can even get the engine to start, I suggest you download the manual and read up on the acr ( automatic compression release)