5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,139 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Got the deck back under it again and decided to give it a run for the first time.  Engine ran great, deck performed great.  Situation with the hydro though.  When going down any incline the tractor free wheels  till it levels out.  Then when the hydro catches up it gives a little jerk and off we go mowing at normal speed.  I did find that after about 1/2 hr run that the fluid level dropped about 1 pint in  the hydro.  New fluid and filter so figured that all the air got worked out and that is why it was low.  Is this a normal situation, or something in the hydro that needs looked at?

I also noticed that the hydro was not working real smooth like I am used to.  No reverse when at idle or a little above.  Forward slow speed was hard to achieve at higher throttle settings.  Removed the tunnel cover to check the linkage and found a lot of fresh oil on top of the forward part of the transmission.  Believe this is the pump for the lift.  The two lines were not leaking as the fluid was all above and back of that area.  I know this is something that needs attention but not sure just where to start.  My first Super cub so learning as I go on this one.

Thanks for any and all advise.  Any help is appreciated.

• lilyyh4 said thank you

#2 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 07:49 PM

The trunion on the trans is worn out, here's some info on repairing it.

http://cubfaq.com/trunionrepair.html
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Are the check valves leaking?   They are in the area you describe. When they leak they usually leak pretty good.

The top of the check valves are hex shaped with a small hole in the center.  They could be leaking if they are needing replaced. I'm not sure if they would be affecting the performance as you described.

Their function is to allow you  to ​slowly move ​short distances when not running the engine. Such as pushing it in your garage.       Rick

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 10:04 PM

Sounds like you might have both.Leaking relief valves and worn trunion.

If the relief valves are sticking or spring is weak from rust or the O rings are Hard and not sealing it will run away going down hills.1st thing to leak on an old Cub Cadet is the relief valves then the Trunion seal then the input shaft seal.

If there's fresh fluid on top of the pump then I suspect your relief valves need rebuilt or replaced.

There's a fella on Ebay that offers a rebuilding service for them.He's really good at what he does and really cheap considering a new relief valve is $176.23 through PartsTree.

Take them out and send them in and have them rebuilt for $37.50 + $6 shipping.He's done thousands of them.

http://www.ebay.com/...Ah1b1wkhFOqk6UQ

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,139 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Thanks a bunch to all of you.   From what I have gathered the manuals for the 782, etc. are the same as the 882 so will have to get them downloaded.  With some mechanical knowledge, the trunion wear makes a lot of sense.  Will have to get after that.

As for the leak, my first thought was the two check valves on top of the pump.  Appreciate the advise to have the guy rebuild them rather than get new ones.  Looks like I have more work to do to the old girl.  I plan to keep it and bought it cheep enough I can put some money into it.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.  We are never to old to learn - we just do so at a much slower pace.

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,139 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 10:07 AM

The trunion on the trans is worn out, here's some info on repairing it.

http://cubfaq.com/trunionrepair.html

Pulled the back cover off this morning and sprayed the trunion with WD 40 and a little brushing, then some air and it cleaned up good.  With my digital calipers I measure the opening, which was square on both ends.  It measured .776" wide and 1.206" long.  This seems well within the measurements given for the rebuild.  Anyone see anything in the photos that I am missing?   Trunion-1.JPG      Trunion-2.JPG

The large spring is about 1/8" short of contacting the pin washers that are in the small spring.  Is it supposed to be against those washers or is it good the way it is?

When moving the Hydro lever the trunion does not contact either end of the slot in the arm outside it.   Never seen a set up like this so kind of in the dark on this.  Appreciate the help guys.  Valves will be sent in Tuesday.