• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 01:20 PM

I've been doing some research on rear PTOs as I'd like to eventually run a Woods mower off the back of my 1886. Below are my findings. Please correct me if you see anything that is wrong or provide additional input. I also have a couple of things I would like clarified as well.

It is my understanding that in order to run a rear finish mower, the 2000 RPM PTO (18082) must be used. The 2000 RPM PTO is also compatible with the 3-point hitch- a requirement for running the mower as I understand.

I was looking at the "Large Frame (channel) Tractor Attachment Interchangeably" chart (see attached) and it lists the 18082 PTO as being compatible starting with the 1886-04 through the HT series. My question is, if it is compatible with the 1886-04, then why isn't it compatible with the earlier 1886 production runs as they all share the same rear end that it mounts to? Is it a mistake and the chart should really be commencing with the 1886-05 (HT18) instead?

The 540/1000 type PTO which will mount to the earlier LF is not compatible with the 3 pt hitch. As I understand, this style PTO is more for stationary type attachments and will not work with something like a rear finish mower that requires a 3-point. If I'm wrong and or may be overlooking something, I'm all ears as I'd love to be able to run this setup someday.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks guys.

Attached Files

Edited by Austen, May 25, 2016 - 01:24 PM.

• Paulgo said thank you

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 01:53 PM

Austen you are correct in your research of the 2000 rpm PTO unit and the three point hitch compatibility and the 540/1000 non-compatible with a 3pth. I also believe you are correct in your assumption of the misprint for indeed if it fits on an 04, than it should fit on the 01-03. I agree it should be the 05 and up thru the 23's, my thoughts are the bump out casting for the top link on the early 1886 rear end housings will not let it mount to tractor correctly, but I will pull my 2000 rpm unit and see how it sets on one of my early '86's.
The 2000 Rpm finish mower can be a hard unit to find as well
  • OldBuzzard and Austen have said thanks

#3 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 03:59 PM

Austen you are correct in your research of the 2000 rpm PTO unit and the three point hitch compatibility and the 540/1000 non-compatible with a 3pth. I also believe you are correct in your assumption of the misprint for indeed if it fits on an 04, than it should fit on the 01-03. I agree it should be the 05 and up thru the 23's, my thoughts are the bump out casting for the top link on the early 1886 rear end housings will not let it mount to tractor correctly, but I will pull my 2000 rpm unit and see how it sets on one of my early '86's.
The 2000 Rpm finish mower can be a hard unit to find as well

Fantastic!!

Thank you so much for your testing, Kevin!

my thoughts are the bump out casting for the top link on the early 1886 rear end housings will not let it mount to tractor correctly

That's what I was thinking too. The later housing appears to be more square and flat which would allow the PTO to sit flush.

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 04:49 PM

Sounds like Kevin gave you the info you needed