• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• Member No: 3502
  • 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 08:55 PM

New battery(12.7 volt with a meter) battery will not turn the motor over with out assistance (foot spinning the belt). Selonoid clicks but won't turn start gen, under advice from a friend I tried to repolorize the s/g. Now the selonoid does nothing. I'm guessing the selonoid is bad. Getting frustrated,

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 12:06 AM

First guess: bad connection. Check all main connections especially the grounds and battery cables. Good Luck, Rick

#3 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 01:12 AM

Please explain how you re-polarized the starter/generator. Did you try a 'no load' (remove the belt) start? Age of battery? Checked all connections and wires?

#4 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 01:13 AM

Also, what is the CCA rating of the new battery?

#5 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 05:08 AM

by repolarizing I think he means taking a jumper wire and touching "a" to positive for second

#6 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 05:48 AM

I would bet that your generator brush springs are seized and not making good contact, easy fix, take the generator apart lubricate and clean and put back together.
You'd be surprised how dirty these get inside.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 05:56 AM

First guess: bad connection. Check all main connections especially the grounds and battery cables. Good Luck, Rick

checked all connections, found the "field" connection on the s/g was bad. fixed that. all other connections are good.

Please explain how you re-polarized the starter/generator. Did you try a 'no load' (remove the belt) start? Age of battery? Checked all connections and wires?

pulled the "field" wire off s/g and used a jumper wire from the positive terminal to the "F" terminal on the s/g for 2-3 seconds.

Also, what is the CCA rating of the new battery?

420 cca, brand new battery.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 06:31 AM

Did you try a lead directly to the starter to see if it spins freely?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:42 AM

Did you try a lead directly to the starter to see if it spins freely?

no I haven't, by doing that it would by pass the solenoid correct. how would I go about doing that? 

#10 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:16 PM

New battery(12.7 volt with a meter) battery will not turn the motor over with out assistance (foot spinning the belt). Selonoid clicks but won't turn start gen, under advice from a friend I tried to repolorize the s/g. Now the selonoid does nothing. I'm guessing the selonoid is bad. Getting frustrated,

You need to do some basic troubleshooting.   ....Since you have a voltmeter, it should be easy.

(1) Disconnect the large wire from the armature terminal of the starter.  ....Make sure it does not touch any metal.

(2) Measure voltage between battery-side of solenoid and ground.  .....It should be very close to voltage measured at battery terminals. 

(3) While holding the key in the start position, measure voltage between starter-side of solenoid and ground.  .....It should be very close to voltage measured in step 2.

(4) While holding the key in the start position, measure voltage between the terminal you removed from the starter's armature terminal and ground.  ....It should be very close to what you measured in step 3.

(5) Remove the belt from the starter.  .....Does the pulley turn freely, without any drag or roughness?

(6) Reconnect the wire to the armature terminal.  .....Does the starter spin when the key is turned to the start position?  ....Does it spin fast or slowly?  ......Can you keep the pulley from turning while holding it in your hand?

(7) Measure the voltage across the battery terminals while the key is in the start position.  ....What voltage does it read?

A weak battery, corroded terminals, loose connections, etc, will affect the above tests.

Let us know what you find, and we can offer more help.

• Bolens 1000, MailmAn, ClassicBolens and 1 other said thanks