#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 10:00 PM

I thought maybe the railroad guys here would get a kick out of this little Baldwin Locomotive. A couple weeks ago my wife and I took a couple days off work and went to see the Wilson sisters or the band "Heart" many of you may remember. Anyway we stayed up in Deadwood, SD that night and our hotel was right across the street from the "Adams Museum" which has nice displays concerning the gold minining history of the northern Black Hills. It had been nearly 20 years since we last toured the museum so we were glad to have some time to do it again the next day.

The "J.B. Haggin" as this narrower than narrow gauge at 22" was the first locomotive in the Black Hills in 1879.

Haggin was the first superintendent of the Homestake Gold Mine which was owned by the Hearst's, a very powerful American family.

There were no outside railroads coming into western "Dakota territory" area back then and there wouldn't be until 10 years later and that is when South Dakota achieved statehood also. The J.B. Haggin was hauled around 200 miles by a bull team. That's my wife Loree in the first pic.

The last pic is in Lead, SD a couple miles south of Deadwood where the Motherload of the Homestake was discovered and this is how it ended up when mining ceased in 2001. I "welded" 5 pictures together to make this view. This mining kept many family and friends employed for a long time but that "Open Cut" final expansion was bittersweet as the town my Mom was born in, Terraville, was bought by the mine and covered with fill from this project. It was just over the ridge where the stripes in the rock layers lead to at the top. The state is now operating an underground lab 4850 feet underground in the hard rock part of the mine studying "dark matter" and "super-conductors". Way over my head!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Deadwood Lead 5-12-16 005.jpg
  • Deadwood Lead 5-12-16 014.jpg
  • Deadwood Lead 5-12-16 015.jpg
  • Deadwood Lead 5-12-16 016.jpg
  • Open cut 5-12-16.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, May 23, 2016 - 10:02 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, jdcrawler and 18 others have said thanks

#2 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 10:13 PM

The state is now operating an underground lab 4850 feet underground in the hard rock part of the mine studying "dark matter" and "super-conductors". Way over my head!

DAC

I would explain dark matter and super conductors, but you wouldn't understand so I wont bother :smilewink:

Edited by BTS, May 23, 2016 - 10:15 PM.

• MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 10:23 PM

I'm glad you can but yeah, you are right of course! No sense confusing the dummy!

DAC

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 04:06 AM

My Mother was born up in your neck of the woods! Could be some of the family worked at that mine.

• MFDAC said thank you

#5 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 04:29 AM

Nice thanks
  • MFDAC said thank you

#6 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 06:43 PM

My Mother was born up in your neck of the woods! Could be some of the family worked at that mine.

Where was your Mom from, Kenny? Just about every relative on my Mom's side worked for Homestake at one time or another, since 1888, even a few of the women. My Dad worked as an electrician there in the early 1950's and was based out of the substation building at the far right in that panoramic pic.

DAC 

#7 jdcrawler ONLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 1,726 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Nice little saddle tank loco.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 06:50 PM

I'm pretty sure she was born in Rapid City. That would have been in the 20's. Maiden name was Weibe. Parents immigrated from Germany.

• MFDAC said thank you

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 07:10 PM

I rode my bike out to Sturgis about 10 years ago, needed a magneto part i couldn't find anywhere.  Didn't find it there either but I think i remember leaving through deadwood there were some mountains and a never-ending line of speeding motor homes hauling bikes in trailers... drifting over the centerline in the curves... was glad to be on 2 wheels and avoided them... quite the invasion for the locals i'm sure

• Gtractor and MFDAC have said thanks

#10 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 08:21 PM

I'm pretty sure she was born in Rapid City. That would have been in the 20's. Maiden name was Weibe. Parents immigrated from Germany.

I was born in Rapid City. I have heard that name around, it seems like there were some Weibe's that were plumbing contractors at one time. Do you know how long she lived around here? My Mom was born in 1923. Deadwood/Lead area is about 50 miles northwest of Rapid.

I rode my bike out to Sturgis about 10 years ago, needed a magneto part i couldn't find anywhere.  Didn't find it there either but I think i remember leaving through deadwood there were some mountains and a never-ending line of speeding motor homes hauling bikes in trailers... drifting over the centerline in the curves... was glad to be on 2 wheels and avoided them... quite the invasion for the locals i'm sure

If you were heading south out of the Deadwood area you were probably on highway 385. It goes through the center of the Hills for about 100 miles, and is extremely busy during the rally. It's the main route from the northern hills to all the big tourist attractions like Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. last years estimates were about 750,000 bikers. I pretty much stay around home during the mayhem. Our tanker driver at work takes rally week off, gets on his bike and heads for----Montana! I usually get stuck filling in for him. It's not only an invasion for the locals, that part is not as bad as the price gouging local business does to the visitors and we who live here also pay the rediculous prices of everything!

DAC

• KennyP and Oldford have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 03:07 AM

I don't know how long they lived there.

• MFDAC said thank you

#12 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 07:17 AM

That's a neat piece of history. Very fortunate that it was preserved and not scrapped. And hauled by a bull team, no less.

Always wanted to see Heart in concert. Love their music. And then, of course, just to see Nancy. She still makes my heart go pitter patter :smilewink:

Thanks for the pics!

• MFDAC said thank you

#13 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 07:11 PM

That's a neat piece of history. Very fortunate that it was preserved and not scrapped. And hauled by a bull team, no less.

Always wanted to see Heart in concert. Love their music. And then, of course, just to see Nancy. She still makes my heart go pitter patter :smilewink:

Thanks for the pics!

Don't tell my wife but Nancy does that for me too----LOL! Actually Ann has lost a lot of weight and as looking well too!  They both have an amazing amount of energy that they put into their shows! I saw them in 1977 and didn't take her---we were engaged then. It was a work night for me and Loree lived 60 miles away. She held that against me for all these years!

• tiretrx said thank you

#14 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 07:31 PM

very neat

• MFDAC said thank you

#15 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 10:07 AM

Don't tell my wife but Nancy does that for me too----LOL! Actually Ann has lost a lot of weight and as looking well too!  They both have an amazing amount of energy that they put into their shows! I saw them in 1977 and didn't take her---we were engaged then. It was a work night for me and Loree lived 60 miles away. She held that against me for all these years!

I still remember Nancy in the "Never" vid. I was in my early 20's. My then girlfriend hated Nancy and that video. Stupid kid stuff, makes you laugh looking back.

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks