#16 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 07:41 AM

I got the stack on today when I got home. It has a nice LOUD tone to it, good thing I wear ear muffs when mowing LOL.

The stack looks good George.However a little advice don't take this the wrong way.I can't tell by the pictures but did you add in any bracing to help hold the stack or did you just mount it to the motor.I've always added in extra bracing just to be safe so as to not ruin the threads in the block also it doesn't seem to vibrate quite as bad with the extra bracing to help hold the stack.I had a couple crack and almost break off so now I add in a extra brace to help hold the stack.Up to you,just trying to prevent potential problems for you down the road.Larry

#17 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 08:41 AM

The stack is awesome, and by the way I have seen very few 147, vs others in this series, did they make a lot less or make them fewer years?

I don't know the numbers but I think the 147's were the largest motor in the narrow frame with that body style. I know there is like the 169 but I think it is a newer body style. The 147's were made for 2 years, give or take a little bit. There are bump outs on the frame from the factory to fit the larger kohler k series. I need to do a little more reading up on them to find out all the details.

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 08:44 AM

The stack looks good George.However a little advice don't take this the wrong way.I can't tell by the pictures but did you add in any bracing to help hold the stack or did you just mount it to the motor.I've always added in extra bracing just to be safe so as to not ruin the threads in the block also it doesn't seem to vibrate quite as bad with the extra bracing to help hold the stack.I had a couple crack and almost break off so now I add in a extra brace to help hold the stack.Up to you,just trying to prevent potential problems for you down the road.Larry

No offense taken, I plan on adding a brace, I wanted to see if I could even do a stack because I wasn't sure of the sizes and the pipe size but it all worked out easy as can be. I am going to stop by the hardware store and get some flat stock to weld to the pipe and bolt to the head for the brace. I can see it being a problem with cracking the block/head without support.

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 08:46 AM

The other thing I can't decide on is part of me wants to make it a little shorter and I also thought about painted it with high temp flat black to match the motor.

#20 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 12:51 PM

The 169 was built from '71 to '74,so yes it is a newer " body" design.It is the design just before the Quite Line came out,and the last with the open sided engine compartment.They were also the last cub cadets to have a starter/generator.

#21 ACecil OFFLINE  

ACecil

• Member No: 412
  • 406 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 11:42 AM

That's a nice looking 147! I bet, you are having a lot of fun with it.

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 11:45 AM

That's a nice looking 147! I bet, you are having a lot of fun with it.

I do like it a lot. I fixed the broken piece for the front roller this past weekend and then used it to mow and she mows like a champ. I really am starting to like the bigger sized garden tractors. I still like the small ones but when it comes to sitting on them for more then a 1/2 hour the bigger ones let ya stretch out a little. I gotta fix the electric lift yet and get a sticker kit for it and she will be good to go. Definitely a keeper.

I believe I welcomed you in another thread but I will say it is nice having another Cub guy here. :D

#23 ACecil OFFLINE  

ACecil

• Member No: 412
  • 406 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thanks, it's great to be here!

#24 dyt4000 OFFLINE  

dyt4000

• Contributor
  • Member No: 405
  • 17 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 01:12 PM

That is a sweet looking rig! Two Cub Cadets, both with assisted lifts...man you must be living right! =-)

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 01:30 PM

That is a sweet looking rig! Two Cub Cadets, both with assisted lifts...man you must be living right! =-)

LOL thank you. The lift on the 125 works great but the lift on the 147 I have to assist it LOL.